2024 Transfer Portal

Hope so. But I doubt it. Tears and Dreiling both had much better years as sophs than Burke had as a soph. Burke had much more room for improvement. Moore as a sophomore had more comparable numbers to DD/KT as sophs, but theirs are still better.

Would love to be wrong, but they put up some really good numbers this year and if they're projected top 3-5 rounds, I think they're gone. Also...this is a weak draft overall. Putting up the same or slightly better numbers next year in a stronger draft likely means a lower draft spot. If I'm on the fence this year, I'm leaving for that reason.

But man...if Dreiling, Ensley, and Tears all came back, what an Outfield we'd have in 2025.
Not predicting but hoping they get to compare their projected paydays with the big two and feel they can close the gap on big money differentials with original contracts with another year. Don’t have a clue on their thought processes. They are for sure draft worthy, but not big money no-brainers I DON’T THINK.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Not predicting but hoping they get to compare their projected paydays with the big two and feel they can close the gap on big money differentials with original contracts with another year. Don’t have a clue on their thought processes. They are for sure draft worthy, but not big money no-brainers I DON’T THINK.
In the past, being a top 10 round pick basically meant you were gone. They’re both that. Easily, I believe. But in the new NIL world, I don’t know how true that remains. Maybe one or both could get enough NIL to make it worth their while to wait a year and see if they can bump their stock. Not predicting it, but maybe?

His 4-seam fastball tops out at 135 mph. His spin rate is at 3,122. Throws a curve that drops 4 feet in the final foot of its flight to home plate and his slider moves 3 feet from arm side in its final seven inches of flight. He has to start his 2 seamer halfway down the first base line, it has so much arm side run.

So yes.
Only a 4 foot drop on his curve? Whatta bum. Can't believe Vitello and Anderson took a project like this. Fahr 'em all.

Last edited:
Couple scenarios for infield positions are gonna be, Curley stays at short (depending on how much more that dude grows physically) AA to short and I think there could be a battle at 3rd with Bargo and incoming transfers/freshman : Curley slides to 3rd and AA to short and Bargo battles for a corner outfield or catcher spot and hope to grab a 2nd baseman in portal or draft caliber freshman.
Curley just has the look of a professional baseball player.
I think he will be soon.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Couple scenarios for infield positions are gonna be, Curley stays at short (depending on how much more that dude grows physically) AA to short and I think there could be a battle at 3rd with Bargo and incoming transfers/freshman : Curley slides to 3rd and AA to short and Bargo battles for a corner outfield or catcher spot and hope to grab a 2nd baseman in portal or draft caliber freshman.
Your first scenerio has Curley and Antigua both at SS. You saying one doesn’t start in that scenario?

I think your last scenario is the most likely one.

Your first scenerio has Curley and Antigua both at SS. You saying one doesn’t start in that scenario?

I think your last scenario is the most likely one.
Jmo, but I’d put Curley at 3rd, Antigua at SS, and one of the incoming guys at 2nd.

I’m more excited about the possible middle infield of Abernathy and Southsiene. Both have 6.4 60s, would probably be the most athletic MIF we’ve had.

Yeah, we’ll still sweep ‘em next year
Yeah I don’t see Skenes walking through that door. Believe we are 11-2 against them in the last 13 games that did not involve him. We may have gone 1-4 last year but we went 4-0 this year and 5-0 in ‘21. Pretty cool to own a 85% winning percentage against them whenever they don’t have a cheat code on the mound.

Jmo, but I’d put Curley at 3rd, Antigua at SS, and one of the incoming guys at 2nd.

I’m more excited about the possible middle infield of Abernathy and Southsiene. Both have 6.4 60s, would probably be the most athletic MIF we’ve had.
Yes, that is the last scenario I was referring to. Curley at 3B and Antigua at SS is most likely. And any of those 4 highjy rated SS could come in and play 2B, but don’t count out the development of Lohry and Perry. Both were neck and neck with the others to start entering the year. It’s so hard to judge a guy in limited appearances because he never gets into a groove. Either could play 2B and play well. Same for Villeneuve at 1B.

His 4-seam fastball tops out at 135 mph. His spin rate is at 3,122. Throws a curve that drops 4 feet in the final foot of its flight to home plate and his slider moves 3 feet from arm side in its final seven inches of flight. He has to start his 2 seamer halfway down the first base line, it has so much arm side run.

So yes.
I assume he was the spot midweek starter

Florida got the Stetson CF'er who I wanted. I hate the portal opens while the postseason is still going. It really puts the advancing teams at a disadvantage.
I agree the portal shouldn’t open til the seasons over , I think the Ahuna commitment changed the staffs approach to the portal , we very well could have a few silent commits just waiting til our season ends to announce

Has anyone heard anything on Kilen? Most guys in the portal seem to be committing quickly, but he is taking his time. I think that bodes well for us. If we end up landing him, that would then leave a gap at 1B, RF, and LF, assuming that Ensley comes back. That’s also under the assumption that AA goes to SS and Curley goes to 3B. Feels like Kilen is a must get.

Reactions: Volanooga2521

VN Store

Back