2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

Man the Sparks can be hard to watch,,,I froze the frame on the huddle during a timeout,,,If I could caption it, it would be (from the three players shown..."Will this guy ever shut up?"

Reactions: madtownvol
Fever put up another hundo vs Dallas win 100-93

Mitchell 36 points
Caitlin with 28

Mitchell and Clark have been so fun to watch, the Fever have really figured some things out after the break. They are getting players shots in the right places.

Mitchell isn’t forcing it as much, she’s taking shots in the rhythm of the offense and it’s paying dividends.

Fever put up another hundo vs Dallas win 100-93

Mitchell 36 points
Caitlin with 28

After Catch retired and the franchise started making one after another bad decision, I honestly didn't know if we'd ever again see a Fever team put up a hunnert, and now they did it in back-to-backs. They've also scored in the 90s quite a few times. They've improved dramatically, despite Boston not putting up the numbers she did before.

After Catch retired and the franchise started making one after another bad decision, I honestly didn't know if we'd ever again see a Fever team put up a hunnert, and now they did it in back-to-backs. They've also scored in the 90s quite a few times. They've improved dramatically, despite Boston not putting up the numbers she did before.
Having watched a couple of recent fever games, I think the decline in Boston's scorinh reflects that the Fever have become a perimeter oriented team. Clark, Mitchell, and Hull are taking a lot of the shots and they are not forcing the ball into the paint as much. Also, Boston is drawing double teams which is opening up space for others like, Smith.

I'm so bummed for Jordy. The pros are so dog eat dog. She's finally healthy, had her best offseason, worked her way into the starting lineup and was a vital swiss army knife role player when the Storm was playing it's best. Jordy was getting 25-30 mins per game. Then the Storm found Gabby Willians and Jordy found the bench. Was out sick the first game Williams played, played just 7 mins the next game and just 13 mins Sunday.

Outside chance Jordy is still recovering a bit fm whatever the illness was, but more likely she has just been sacrificed for Williams. Frustrating thing is Gabby is not helping the Storm much so far. They've lost 2 of the 3 games she's played, just scraping by lowly Atlanta for the win. Still not really competing with the top teams. They already had season long chemistry problems with too many shoot first ask questions later type players. In my humble opinion, they needed a glue player like Jordy much more.

The Storm plays the Sun again tonight in Conn. Hope for more mins and a better role for Jordy.

Just when I want to throttle Curt Miller, he does something good. He said Sunday was the day he handed the keys over to Rickea. Hamby is exhausted and Stevens wasn't feeling well. The Sparks were never going to stop Tina Charles. So he predetermined to play Rickea 30 mins without taking her out and to run the offense completely through her. And he did.

Because nothing is ever easy for RIckea, after 4 games where she was on fire from the field, she went 5-16. Was mostly getting to her spots and man her moves are more smooth and silky than ever but the shots weren't falling. Partly bc she had 2 and 3 defenders draped all over her but we've seen her score thru that scenario before. Curt said it's a big rookie accomplishment that RIckea is now an * on the opponents scouting sheet. Of course she got zero scoring help fm anyone else except LI who had a nice offensive game but couldn't have touched Charles with a ten foot pole on D.

But all both Curt and RIckea (who seem to be in perfect lockstep) could talk about is her D and how much it's improved. You can see fm the vid w Rae that benching for D made Curt the coach who finally got RJ to own D. Don't think it was ever laziness, just the born scorer instinct to save primary energy for offense. But the turn has happened and she is playing outstanding D with steals, blocks and plain ole staying in front.

Nothing gets easier in the last 8 games. They play in Indy Wednesday and Chicago Friday, then home for 2 against the Sun, one of the best defensive teams in the league. Interesting to see how all that goes.

I'm so bummed for Jordy. The pros are so dog eat dog. She's finally healthy, had her best offseason, worked her way into the starting lineup and was a vital swiss army knife role player when the Storm was playing it's best. Jordy was getting 25-30 mins per game. Then the Storm found Gabby Willians and Jordy found the bench. Was out sick the first game Williams played, played just 7 mins the next game and just 13 mins Sunday.

Outside chance Jordy is still recovering a bit fm whatever the illness was, but more likely she has just been sacrificed for Williams. Frustrating thing is Gabby is not helping the Storm much so far. They've lost 2 of the 3 games she's played, just scraping by lowly Atlanta for the win. Still not really competing with the top teams. They already had season long chemistry problems with too many shoot first ask questions later type players. In my humble opinion, they needed a glue player like Jordy much more.

The Storm plays the Sun again tonight in Conn. Hope for more mins and a better role for Jordy.
Alot of people were thinking Gabby would come back and be a primary scorer for Seattle, when she's never had a high scoring WNBA career before. It's like thinking because Megan Gustafson was fantastic for Spain that she'd come back and be A'ja #2 for the Aces.

Speaking of Seattle and Vegas, coaching weaknesses are being exposed, imo, for both of those teams.

Alot of people were thinking Gabby would come back and be a primary scorer for Seattle, when she's never had a high scoring WNBA career before. It's like thinking because Megan Gustafson was fantastic for Spain that she'd come back and be A'ja #2 for the Aces.

Speaking of Seattle and Vegas, coaching weaknesses are being exposed, imo, for both of those teams.
The last thing the Storm needed was another shooter. Their problem is already the chemistry btw Diggins, Loyd and Nnecka.

Agree about the coaching. Becky looks checked out and her team reflects it. And Noelle, to my surprise, is melting down on camera.

Jordy is the ultimate team player but this situation has to be frustrating as can be.

I'm so bummed for Jordy. The pros are so dog eat dog. She's finally healthy, had her best offseason, worked her way into the starting lineup and was a vital swiss army knife role player when the Storm was playing its best. Jordy was getting 25-30 mins per game. Then the Storm found Gabby Willians and Jordy found the bench. Was out sick the first game Williams played, played just 7 mins the next game and just 13 mins Sunday.

Gabby is Kia Nurse 2.0 looks great everywhere but in the W. Her game just doesn’t translate that well to this league. So small to bang in the post, too big and not a good enough handle to play on the perimeter.

Jordy is indeed getting the shaft. Jordan could be a great addition for the Fever in the off season. Bring her closer to home, she’d come off the bench but she can do a lot of things well and would give them a utility player with handles that they’re missing.

Smith and Fagbenle can’t take anyone off the bounce.

Gabby is Kia Nurse 2.0 looks great everywhere but in the W. Her game just doesn’t translate that well to this league. So small to bang in the post, too big and not a good enough handle to play on the perimeter.

Jordy is indeed getting the shaft. Jordan could be a great addition for the Fever in the off season. Bring her closer to home, she’d come off the bench but she can do a lot of things well and would give them a utility player with handles that they’re missing.

Smith and Fagbenle can’t take anyone off the bounce.
Sparks! Rae Rickea Jordy Cam Paige w vets Hamby, Steven’s, Talbot, Sims. Yesssss

Sparks! Rae Rickea Jordy Cam Paige w vets Hamby, Steven’s, Talbot, Sims. Yesssss

I could go for that. Sparks need a Pg though, something fierce. They should keep Sims but get rid of Nurse. McDonald is alright if she’s healthy. They should try to get Canada or Natasha Cloud.

Reactions: brittannica
Great news! Man I was hoping this might happen. Won't have to go overseas, plus these first 30 Unrivaled players get part ownership in the league. This is such a sign of respect from the league elders. Miami in January, could do worse.

Also, for anyone who thinks Curt and Rickea aren't happy together:

Great news! Man I was hoping this might happen. Won't have to go overseas, plus these first 30 Unrivaled players get part ownership in the league. This is such a sign of respect from the league elders. Miami in January, could do worse.

Also, for anyone who thinks Curt and Rickea aren't happy together:

That's cool. I am happy that Rickea seems content with her situation. I still think she would be further ahead of the curve if she had gotten the "we are all in on you" treatment that Caitlin and Angel received from their coaches.

But, rookie season is almost done, the growth pains are soon ending, and Rickea will be a monster next season.

I am curious about what will happen for Rae next season. You would think she showed enough for the Sparks to want her back (and in a feature role) but i am not convinced they are committed to her. I think her season almost assures that she will be on someone's roster next season, if not the Sparks.

Maybe sparks keep Rae, make a trade for Jordy and the starting Sparks line-up for next season would RJ, Jordy, Rae, Brink, and a PG to be announced.

Reactions: brittannica
Here's some more details on the league from Cora. It runs Jan - March. If I remember correctly, AU was much shorter and was in early Spring. Rae played AU and was outstanding in that last year after she got back fm overseas. Don't know if it will survive Unrivaled.

This was created for 3 x 3. The room she'll have to operate!

Storm leading the Sun by 2 halfway thru the 3rd qtr. Bummer, Jordy has just played 8 mins so far, did get 2 steals. This really sucks for her.

Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back