2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

Shoulda known when Gabby Williams signed with Storm, she didn't sign to set on bench.
Jordy's in now, has played about 11 mins and is up to 3 assists. May get 15 mins tonight, which is probably going to be about her new normal. Mercedes Russell getting a pretty good run for her tonight, about 12 mins.

Is anyone else following the Sheryl Swoopes Caitlin Clark mess? When Swoopes first re-emerged after years (it seemed) of not having a job in the game, I was happy for her that she was getting a chance to be connected to the game and get a paycheck for it again.

But I'm afraid her humongous ego is only matched by the size of her mouth, and she appears to be trying as hard as she can to sabotage her own budding broadcast career.

She is not doing herself any favors with her social media presence making her sound petty and jealous and, well, just plain ol' mean-spirited sometimes. I wish she would lighten up and enjoy the opportunity she was given instead of making enemies with her voice. She hasn't established herself in the announcing business well enough yet to be how she's sometimes been early on.

Maybe I've got a totally bad take on it, I don't know. Anyone else think she'd be wise to take it down a notch or two?

Reactions: StorrsCentral
Is anyone else following the Sheryl Swoopes Caitlin Clark mess? When Swoopes first re-emerged after years (it seemed) of not having a job in the game, I was happy for her that she was getting a chance to be connected to the game and get a paycheck for it again.

But I'm afraid her humongous ego is only matched by the size of her mouth, and she appears to be trying as hard as she can to sabotage her own budding broadcast career.

She is not doing herself any favors with her social media presence making her sound petty and jealous and, well, just plain ol' mean-spirited sometimes. I wish she would lighten up and enjoy the opportunity she was given instead of making enemies with her voice. She hasn't established herself in the announcing business well enough yet to be how she's sometimes been early on.

Maybe I've got a totally bad take on it, I don't know. Anyone else think she'd be wise to take it down a notch or two?

She would be wise to act more professional, but it's clear she's not interested in doing that. Her getting digs in on Clark meant more to her, and frankly, she's made her bed on the matter. Petty to the nth degree. Unsurprising, but petty.

Oh, and Swoopes showing the private texts was a meaningless act of fake contrition and everyone knows it - especially Swoopes herself. No one with a whit of common sense should buy that nonsense.

I just wish they'd ALL STFU for just one day. Rarely have I been as sick of two names as Angel Reese and Caitlin Clark and everything around them, good and bad. Not completely their fault, but they've Hoovered up every ounce of oxygen out of the W this year, after doing so in college for two years. I'm just sick to death of the whole thing. For the love of God, just for a second SHUT UP one and all.

SS should not have let herself be drawn in to the endless circle jerk. Again, say less, esp at this point. I do think it's hilarious that Nancy freakin Leiberman, of all people, has replaced SS on the Wings broadcast. Because she'd never say anything controversial, right?

Last edited:
I just wish they'd ALL STFU for just one day. Rarely have I been as sick of two names as Angel Reese and Caitlin Clark and everything around them, good and bad. Not completely their fault, but they've Hoovered up every ounce of oxygen out of the W this year, after doing so in college for two years. I'm just sick to death of the whole thing. For the love of God, just for a second SHUT UP one and all.

SS should not have let herself be drawn in to the endless circle jerk. Again, say less, esp at this point. I do think it's hilarious that Nancy freakin Leiberman, of all people, has replaced SS on the Wings broadcast. Because she'd never say anything controversial, right?

"Not completely their fault." I mean ... how is even remotely their fault? Granted, I could agree that some actions might deserve more blame than others, but on that note I'd say we agree that it's not worth rehashing. No one here is interested in changing their opinion. Regardless, the players can't control the people around them generating the attention, such as it is.

"Not completely their fault." I mean ... how is even remotely their fault? Granted, I could agree that some actions might deserve more blame than others, but on that note I'd say we agree that it's not worth rehashing. No one here is interested in changing their opinion. Regardless, the players can't control the people around them generating the attention, such as it is.
Well it was their showboating taunting of each other that started it all. That was the brush fire that raged out of control.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Glv98, I understand your CC and AR fatigue but I don't think they are really sucking the oxygen out of the WNBA; they're bringing more air to the room.The W has more eyeballs and media coverage and consequently I think more people know A'ja Wilson's name now than they would have otherwise.

Even Rickea is getting some belated boost in attention as she has emerged as the "3rd rookie."

Its not like CC and AR have not lived up to the hype. Clark is having the best rookie since CP3 and not too many people had Angel obliterating the W's season rebound record out of the gate.

For the most part the rivalry crap has settled down.

Last edited:

Obvious that SS is not a CC fan but her negative comments have not been all that terrible. One was factually incorrect and all boil down to the idea that CC is overrated. And when Clark came into the league, more than a few people shared that view. I actually prefer Swoopes to Tim Legler (another ESPN b-ball pundit).
Before the draft, he did a film breakdown to show why CC would be an unstoppable offensive force in the W. After her, and the Fever's struggles in the first 7 or 8 games, he comes back with Clark does not have any athletic advantages over defenders at this level and it is going to be a very difficult transition for her.

By mid-season, he was back to the former position.

Of course, Swoopes has now tried to walk back her criticisms as well but better that than denying the performances.

Reactions: krichunaka

This is how Sheryl has always been. She’s egotistical, narcissistic and mean. She’s beefed with teammates, coaches, players, and friends everywhere she’s ever been.

At some point, YOU are the problem.

She acts like the comets won those titles because of her.

Excuse me, may I introduce you to Tina Thompson and Cynthia Cooper? Because they are the reason the Comets had that run.

Sheryl was never good enough to lie on a player like Clark. Sorry, but their side by side stats are poetic. CC’s ability to not comment is unreal, she has had such great support from her family and coaches. Not sure I’ve ever seen a young person carry their self with this much dignity in the face of this much backlash that has nothing to do with her.

Glv98, I understand your CC and AR fatigue but I don't think they are really sucking the oxygen out of the WNBA; they're bringing more air to the room.The W has more eyeballs and media coverage and consequently I think more people know A'ja Wilson's name now than they would have otherwise.

Even Rickea is getting some belated boost in attention as she has emerged as the "3rd rookie."

Its not like CC and AR have not lived up to the hype. Clark is having the best rookie since CP3 and not too many people had Angel obliterating the W's season rebound record out of the gate.

For the most part the rivalry crap has settled down.
I should probably stop looking at social media, bc they dominate there. I totally get the financial and attention bonanza they've been for themselves and the league. I'm still sick of hearing about them lol.

It's so ubiqitious - during games they're not involved in, during every halftime and pregame show, and what really gets me, players have even been asked for CC/AR comment several times in their own postgames where those players weren't even involved. And then criticized for their answers or lack thereof.

I totally disagree about Aja Wilson; IMO she has the biggest beef of all. She's having a historic monster season and it's being completely buried by "the story".

Angel's season is so interesting to me, even if I'm beyond sick of her. When has a player ever been SO good at what she does well and SO bad at what she does poorly? The double doubles are a remarkable accomplishment, OTOH it's only bc she shoots fts relatively well and gets to the line alot. If she had to depend on field goals, she'd never get to ten. Spoon helps by leaving her in no matter the situation until she manages that 10th point. Angel's achievements are just so inartful, always a struggle.

CC will deservedly get ROY and Angel 2nd. But I do think Rickea will get some 2nd place votes, bc for some it's just hard to reward 40% shooting at the rim. The ultimate player would be a combination of those three - the court vision and passing of CC, the smooth and efficient offensive bag of Rickea, and the dogged relentlessness of AR on the boards

Last edited:
I should probably stop looking at social media, bc they dominate there. I totally get the financial and attention bonanza they've been for themselves and the league. I'm still sick of hearing about them lol.

It's so ubiqitious - during games they're not involved in, during every halftime and pregame show, and what really gets me, players have even been asked for CC/AR comment several times in their own postgames where those players weren't even involved. And then criticized for their answers or lack thereof.

I totally disagree about Aja Wilson; IMO she has the biggest beef of all. She's having a historic monster season and it's being completely buried by "the story".

Angel's season is so interesting to me, even if I'm beyond sick of her. When has a player ever been SO good at what she does well and SO bad at what she does poorly? The double doubles are a remarkable accomplishment, OTOH it's only bc she shoots fts relatively well and gets to the line alot. If she had to depend on field goals, she'd never get to ten. Spoon helps by leaving her in no matter the situation until she manages that 10th point. Angel's achievements are just so inartful, always a struggle.

CC will deservedly get ROY and Angel 2nd. But I do think Rickea will get some 2nd place votes, bc for some it's just hard to reward 40% shooting at the rim. The ultimate player would be a combination of those three - the court vision and passing of CC, the smooth and efficient offensive bag of Rickea, and the dogged relentlessness of AR on the boards
They should study AR because she has defied all my expectations. Her game is wild.

They should study AR because she has defied all my expectations. Her game is wild.
And really could be celebrated in a way that's inspirational but not really very complimentary - only dogged determination gets you that far with actual skills that are that limited. It's all hustle and determination, as players have been told about rebounding since forever.

Logic would say her problems on offense should be relatively easy to fix - it's layups for God's sake. Yet it's been an issue for a long time and doesn't seem to get better.

Reactions: brittannica

Per Angel, I prefer to focus on the good. She has a Dennis Rodman knack for anticipating the trajectory of a rebound and her motor does not stop. She has a big upside in the sense that her offensive game could get a lot better. Having seen a few of her games though, I would like to see her get better defensively.

Like Rodman (in his prime), she probably will never become an offensive force but she has the tools to be a lock down defender.

I think one thing we can definitely agree on, looking forward to the Sparks versus Fever tonight-- a great stage for Rickea to show what she can do!!

VN Store

Back