2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

Per Angel, I prefer to focus on the good. She has a Dennis Rodman knack for anticipating the trajectory of a rebound and her motor does not stop. She has a big upside in the sense that her offensive game could get a lot better. Having seen a few of her games though, I would like to see her get better defensively.

Like Rodman (in his prime), she probably will never become an offensive force but she has the tools to be a lock down defender.

I think one thing we can definitely agree on, looking forward to the Sparks versus Fever tonight-- a great stage for Rickea to show what she can do!!
Not sure Angel actually can improve her shooting much at this point. I know she works on it but it's been going on a long time now without much improvement. Maybe some of her orthopedic ailments prevent her physically from shooting properly.

Game tonight on CBS Sports Network which I believe is free with most streaming and cable services. I really hope RIckea has her shooting eye back bc it is a big showcase for her improvement. You never know what you'll get with the Sparks in general. Apparently Temi F may not play for the Fever and that will help. They clinched the playoffs, maybe they'll take their foot off the gas. We'll see, 7 p.m.

And not to forget Rae. This last few games is really important for her too. Curt has said he needs to see more offensive consistency from her. Energy and effort are unquestioned, but she's very streaky offensively. I'd love her to be back w the Sparks next year.

Not sure Angel actually can improve her shooting much at this point. I know she works on it but it's been going on a long time now without much improvement. Maybe some of her orthopedic ailments prevent her physically from shooting properly.

Game tonight on CBS Sports Network which I believe is free with most streaming and cable services. I really hope RIckea has her shooting eye back bc it is a big showcase for her improvement. You never know what you'll get with the Sparks in general. Apparently Temi F may not play for the Fever and that will help. They clinched the playoffs, maybe they'll take their foot off the gas. We'll see, 7 p.m.
That is probably right that is why I think an emphasis on defense makes the most sense for her.

Rickea is due is for another big 25+ pt. game so let's hope its tonight!

Gotta say that the Fever rise to the playoffs has been quite the story. They were completely written off after the first 7 games and now they are a team no one really wants to play. They are fun to watch because they play at such a fast tempo (kind of like a CKC team!).

Clark's 3 point shooting remains a little spotty (now up to 34%) but her misses are often just off the mark. I see her having a game this season where she breaks or ties the single game mark for 3s, which I believe is 9. That is one record she seems destined to own.

That is probably right that is why I think an emphasis on defense makes the most sense for her.

Rickea is due is for another big 25+ pt. game so let's hope its tonight!

Gotta say that the Fever rise to the playoffs has been quite the story. They were completely written off after the first 7 games and now they are a team no one really wants to play. They are fun to watch because they play at such a fast tempo (kind of like a CKC team!).

Clark's 3 point shooting remains a little spotty (now up to 34%) but her misses are often just off the mark. I see her having a game this season where she breaks or ties the single game mark for 3s, which I believe is 9. That is one record she seems destined to own.
IMO the difference for the Fever has been the play of Kelsey Mitchell who's been out of her mind since the break, the benching of Erica Wheeler and Samuelson in favor of Lexie Hull who's been a fantastic role player, and the play of Temi F down low.

IMO the difference for the Fever has been the play of Kelsey Mitchell who's been out of her mind since the break, the benching of Erica Wheeler and Samuelson in favor of Lexie Hull who's been a fantastic role player, and the play of Temi F down low.
Good points all. Samuelson in particular had been a drag on the team. Hull is a great "glue" player. Mitchell has been dynamite over the back half of the season.

You gotta admit, Clark finding her groove has had just a little to do with the Fever's turnaround as well. She and Mitchell are working very well together and both are benefiting from the synergies,

And really could be celebrated in a way that's inspirational but not really very complimentary - only dogged determination gets you that far with actual skills that are that limited. It's all hustle and determination, as players have been told about rebounding since forever.

Logic would say her problems on offense should be relatively easy to fix - it's layups for God's sake. Yet it's been an issue for a long time and doesn't seem to get better.
What’s not skill, u don’t think skill is playing with your off hand and winning Championships or coming into college as a guard/wing and after surgery and going to LSU playing Center and dominating by leading the Sec in scoring and rebounding both season, and also winning the most prestigious award in college basketball, Most Outstanding Player Of The Final Four. Tell me if Clark could have switched shooting hands and been versatile enough to go and play the Center like Reese was forced to do? Anyone can answer this for me.

Last edited:
Per Angel, I prefer to focus on the good. She has a Dennis Rodman knack for anticipating the trajectory of a rebound and her motor does not stop. She has a big upside in the sense that her offensive game could get a lot better. Having seen a few of her games though, I would like to see her get better defensively.

Like Rodman (in his prime), she probably will never become an offensive force but she has the tools to be a lock down defender.

I think one thing we can definitely agree on, looking forward to the Sparks versus Fever tonight-- a great stage for Rickea to show what she can do!!
She will become an offensive force, her coaches up until this point failed her. They never fixed her shooting mechanics while learning to shoot with her left hand and also the mechanics on layups from her hip, fix those 2 things and she’s easily 18-20ppg.

Reactions: madtownvol
She will become an offensive force, her coaches up until this point failed her. They never fixed her shooting mechanics while learning to shoot with her left hand and also the mechanics on layups from her hip, fix those 2 things and she’s easily 18-20ppg.
Do you really think her coaches haven't tried to fix this up to this point? Why the heck would they not?

Do you really think her coaches haven't tried to fix this up to this point? Why the heck would they not?
They haven’t tried, I’ve followed her since high school and have watched closely. Kim Mulkey said in an interview that she shoots layups from her hip, but they never actually addressed it. Another coach at LSU said why should they improve her bag, and he said why do that if she’s already successful at what she does. Can when watching her drain jumpers in practice at LSU, it was always with her broken mechanics that they never addressed, in this short time with Chicago I see them working on her form, but we all know it will take a full offseason to get it right. 1st clip shows her broken mechanics and the 2nd is her workout on her form for the 1st time in her career.

Reactions: madtownvol
Good news is the Sparks are up by one at halftime, this has been a rare good game by Kia Nurse. Rae also had a really good half, 8 pts and 3 assist. Bad news is RIckea still can't get the lid off the basket, is 2-8 for 5 pts, also has the only 2 turnovers the Sparks have in the half. Gotta do better in the second half.

They haven’t tried, I’ve followed her since high school and have watched closely. Kim Mulkey said in an interview that she shoots layups from her hip, but they never actually addressed it. Another coach at LSU said why should they improve her bag, and he said why do that if she’s already successful at what she does. Can when watching her drain jumpers in practice at LSU, it was always with her broken mechanics that they never addressed, in this short time with Chicago I see them working on her form, but we all know it will take a full offseason to get it right. 1st clip shows her broken mechanics and the 2nd is her workout on her form for the 1st time in her career.

You can’t really believe she played elite level basketball and nobody tried to fix her shot. That is ridiculous. Her HS skills coach went so far as to change her shooting hand lol.

Plenty of people tried, not sure it’s fixable.

Kim never wanted her shooting the basketball from more than 10” her job was to rebound and she did it well. She was a better finisher in college but she does not play well through the physicality of the W.

She’s always waiting for a call that isn’t going to come. The paint in the W is for real women if you wanna score.

Real slopy half of basketball played by Fever still only down 48-47 at half.

Sidenote: kia Nurse has never seen a shot she didn't like.

Sadly she’s making them tonight.

I think she’s one of the worst players in the league. 10 points in 10 minutes was the game of her life basically lol.

This is how several of the recent Fever games have been. Close at the half and then they just out pace you in the 4th. They are finally all in shape and playing at CC speed. Dallas was so gassed the other night and the Fever were still cruising.

Curious to see how this one ends, LA has not been finishing games well at all and the Fever have. I still maintain LA is tanking, some of the coaching decisions have been atrocious if not.

Just 3-8 fm the field and 4 t.o.s though. I'm sure she'll heat up in the second half.

3-8 is fine and she’ll finish better than that.

Could care less about her turnovers. She creates more offense than any other player in the league. Fact. When you do that, you’re also going to have the most TOs.

Reactions: knoxvol52 and lvocd
3-8 is fine and she’ll finish better than that.

Could care less about her turnovers. She creates more offense than any other player in the league. Fact. When you do that, you’re also going to have the most TOs.

Agreed.

Babe Ruth led the Yankees in home runs AND strikeouts ... but we don't spend a lot of time thinking about those strikeouts.

You can’t really believe she played elite level basketball and nobody tried to fix her shot. That is ridiculous. Her HS skills coach went so far as to change her shooting hand lol.

Plenty of people tried, not sure it’s fixable.

Kim never wanted her shooting the basketball from more than 10” her job was to rebound and she did it well. She was a better finisher in college but she does not play well through the physicality of the W.

She’s always waiting for a call that isn’t going to come. The paint in the W is for real women if you wanna score.
Wasn’t talking to u, and they haven’t, she said she taught herself to shoot with her left hand. Her mechanics have been the same throughout her college career. This is the only time I’ve seen them doing mechanical drills and her shot looks straight. No need to reply because I’m done.

VN Store

Back