2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

Okay, since the Lou Brown issue has come up, perhaps it would be worthwhile to revisit her reflection about her injury-riddled season with the LVs.

Last edited:
Okay, since the Lou Brown issue has come up, perhaps it would be worthwhile to revisit her reflection about her injury-riddled season with the LVs.

Hard to fault Lou when the breaks went agin her… see the Maxims

You think Tony has the Maxims posted somewhere close to the Digout?

🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: madtownvol
Hard to fault Lou when the breaks went agin her… see the Maxims

You think Tony has the Maxims posted somewhere close to the Digout?

🤣🤣🤣
I mean that is the point. It seems that she did not get the emotional support she wanted from the staff but her experience was shaped by her injury struggles.

Thanks mad, I had forgotten alot of that. Definitely a failure to communicate all around. I forgot she was a Holly recruit and that probably had alot to do with it. Probably not a player the new staff would have recruited with just one year to play and such an injury history. Sounds like Lou withheld alot about her injury and the staff was less than interested in drawing her out. Seems like mostly an assistant coach issue tho she never really connected w Kellie. Hate that it all turned out that way.

Whatever happened, it was a one off for Kellie's tenure, at least as far as going public. I'm really glad TK and Jordy will have Lou who knows the NZ Queens territory!

Man I hate what's happening to Jordy, thru zero fault of her own. The Storm played the lowly Wings last night and just won by 2, trailed most of the first half just like against the lowly Sparks. They've obviously had chemistry disrupted by the addition of Gabby Williams. They were already struggling somewhat to mesh Nnecka, Jewel, and Diggins and it's a clear case where stacking raw talent as opposed to defining roles is not always a great idea. They came back to win 83-81 and I'm glad they had a tough game since they play the Sparks again Sunday.

Jordy got just 10 mins, only 3 in the second half. Had 2 pts and shot poorly, but had 4 rebs and 2 assists. Ezi Megbdor got hurt and Mercedes got those minutes. She had her best game in ages, 9 pts, 5 rebs, 2 assists and a block.

Meanwhile in the race to the last playoff spot, the Mystics have stepped up. Same team that started the season 0-12. Atlanta Dream just pissing their chance away. They need a new coach. Rhyne Howard and Tina Charles deserve better.

Sky is pretty much eliminating themselves also, and after a great first game as a starter, Izzy had a stinker last night. The Sky got thoroughly creamed by the Lynx and Izzy pretty much lost her mins to Brianna Turner. Diamond remains out w injury. Izzy and Diamond are on very, very slippery ground.

Thanks mad, I had forgotten alot of that. Definitely a failure to communicate all around. I forgot she was a Holly recruit and that probably had alot to do with it. Probably not a player the new staff would have recruited with just one year to play and such an injury history. Sounds like Lou withheld alot about her injury and the staff was less than interested in drawing her out. Seems like mostly an assistant coach issue tho she never really connected w Kellie. Hate that it all turned out that way.

Whatever happened, it was a one off for Kellie's tenure, at least as far as going public. I'm really glad TK and Jordy will have Lou who knows the NZ Queens territory!
This relationship was clearly not Kellie's finest hour but it is understandable. She was a new coach with a million things to manage and how much was she going to invest in a one and done, injury hampered rotational player recruited by the former coach?

The unnamed assistant coach was not being very professional (and certainly not humane) if Lou's recollections are accurate.

Reactions: 1reVOLver and glv98
Man I hate what's happening to Jordy, thru zero fault of her own. The Storm played the lowly Wings last night and just won by 2, trailed most of the first half just like against the lowly Sparks. They've obviously had chemistry disrupted by the addition of Gabby Williams. They were already struggling somewhat to mesh Nnecka, Jewel, and Diggins and it's a clear case where stacking raw talent as opposed to defining roles is not always a great idea. They came back to win 83-81 and I'm glad they had a tough game since they play the Sparks again Sunday.

Jordy got just 10 mins, only 3 in the second half. Had 2 pts and shot poorly, but had 4 rebs and 2 assists. Ezi Megbdor got hurt and Mercedes got those minutes. She had her best game in ages, 9 pts, 5 rebs, 2 assists and a block.

Meanwhile in the race to the last playoff spot, the Mystics have stepped up. Same team that started the season 0-12. Atlanta Dream just pissing their chance away. They need a new coach. Rhyne Howard and Tina Charles deserve better.

Sky is pretty much eliminating themselves also, and after a great first game as a starter, Izzy had a stinker last night. The Sky got thoroughly creamed by the Lynx and Izzy pretty much lost her mins to Brianna Turner. Diamond remains out w injury. Izzy and Diamond are on very, very slippery ground.

Physically, Jordy is a study in what hard, focused strength and agility work on one's own can do for an athlete. Many, perhaps even most, athletically-gifted players are so used to naturally being better at their sport(s) that they are fairly complacent when it comes to putting in extra work with specific physical goals in mind. They may not even realize how much stronger, faster, more agile and high-leaping they could get with just a little more focused effort. Many big-time natural athletes simply think they don't need to do all that.

But Jordan Horston, at her young age, has already figured that part out and has improved her body's abilities tremendously in just two years. She is physically impressive.

But mentally, the kid still has a way to go. Despite her awareness of it, and the oft-mentioned updates that it is something she's working on, she still sometimes gets down on herself after mistakes, and that affects her performance. Horston appears to be a super-sensitive, empathetic soul, and so I imagine it would be difficult for someone like that to overcome a natural propensity toward thinking too much and being upset if she feels she's letting others down.

It is what it is, but I hope in the next couple of years she can learn better ways to cope during games than getting down on herself. She'll not spend a heckuva lot of time on anybody's bench if she can work that out and have her mental game catch up to the physical.

Love me some Horston! Such a sweet kid. 🧡

Physically, Jordy is a study in what hard, focused strength and agility work on one's own can do for an athlete. Many, perhaps even most, athletically-gifted players are so used to naturally being better at their sport(s) that they are fairly complacent when it comes to putting in extra work with specific physical goals in mind. They may not even realize how much stronger, faster, more agile and high-leaping they could get with just a little more focused effort. Many big-time natural athletes simply think they don't need to do all that.

But Jordan Horston, at her young age, has already figured that part out and has improved her body's abilities tremendously in just two years. She is physically impressive.

But mentally, the kid still has a way to go. Despite her awareness of it, and the oft-mentioned updates that it is something she's working on, she still sometimes gets down on herself after mistakes, and that affects her performance. Horston appears to be a super-sensitive, empathetic soul, and so I imagine it would be difficult for someone like that to overcome a natural propensity toward thinking too much and being upset if she feels she's letting others down.

It is what it is, but I hope in the next couple of years she can learn better ways to cope during games than getting down on herself. She'll not spend a heckuva lot of time on anybody's bench if she can work that out and have her mental game catch up to the physical.

Love me some Horston! Such a sweet kid. 🧡
It was certainly true of Jordy's time here and what made it such an epic struggle.

But the irony is this year she seemed to have finally overcome that and was playing confidently in the role they had for her. And finally the leash wasn't short anymore so that helped. And though they stated more offense from Jordy was a goal, she wasn't really under pressure to score, just to use the fantastic athleticism you noted. She was playing her best ball and was contributing so much when the Storm looked like real contenders. Moved into the starting lineup and was in the conversation for most improved.

Then they brought in Gabby Williams and it was back to ground zero. The pros are just a tough as hell business.

Alliyah Edwards, who has really been coming around for the Mystics in their surge for the playoffs, is questionable with a bad ankle. And now Kamilla is questionable having reinjured her shoulder which kept her out earlier this season. I noticed when Kamilla hurt it last night during their game, she gestured, held it, and flexed it over and over but the Sky never called time out and never took her out.

The grueling gaunlet of the pros for the rookies has just been brutal. There are exactly two of the high profile rooks who play big minutes still standing. And I'm not saying another word for fear of jinxing!

LOL the reports of Jordy's WNBA superstar status just may be a little exaggerated here. But great for her to be the feature player in this league, have an adventure, be with TK and be home for Christmas.

Jordy and/or Mercedes should get the start today when the Storm plays the Sparks again. Both Ezi and Jewel Loyd are out w injury. Hate to root against them, but could the Sparks please, please maybe get a elusive win today?

LOL the reports of Jordy's WNBA superstar status just may be a little exaggerated here. But great for her to be the feature player in this league, have an adventure, be with TK and be home for Christmas.

Jordy and/or Mercedes should get the start today when the Storm plays the Sparks again. Both Ezi and Jewel Loyd are out w injury. Hate to root against them, but could the Sparks please, please maybe get a elusive win today?

Yeah, lol. She was fortunate to have just had that stellar game right as that piece was being written. I hope she’ll be successful and loved by the fans there.

The reality-warp reminded me of how, many years ago, every now and then I’d read something about LVFL Brittany Jackson, and nearly every one of them would make it sound like she’d been a four-year starter and “the star” player, when in reality she was a four-year role player. Sure, she had a couple of good games and certainly shot a few well-timed threes for Tennessee back in the day, but “four-year starter” she was not.

Speaking of Brittany Jackson, I haven’t heard/read anything about the Tennessee native in a long time. Anyone else? Hope she and her sister finslly matured enough to stop their hell-raisin’! My goodness, they were a mess for a good while there! 😲

Whatever we think of Curt Miller, his team absolutely never quits. Sparks were bad as they can be most of the first half but had a great second half. Big game for Hamby, her first in a while, and damn, Sims can be great, so much smarts and poise.

Great game for Jordy. Couldn't believe she didn't start, Sami Whitcomb, really? Jordy had that super athletic tip in the first half, has so much hops and athleticism. Also shot well tonight, had 16 pts. Rae guarded Jordy alot, but Jordy and RIckea guarded ea other late in the game. Highlight when Jordy hit a three over Rickea and Rickea came right back and drove and scored on her. Those are the two most talented players the LVs have turned out in a long time.
Rickea had 22 pts, hate she missed the last chance shot but Jordy made it tough. A few weeks ago Curt said everyone knows Rickea can score 13 pts at will but he wanted her to go up to a consistent high teens scorer. That's exactly what she's done, I believe she's scored at least 20 four of the last five games. She's doing much better staying involved throughout the game and balancing her scoring. Got to the ft line alot, hit 6 of 7. She's hitting about 85% fts since the break. She's had a very strong rookie year.

Rae and Mercedes had strong role player games, though Rae had a couple of t.o.s late that really hurt. Overall it was a really proud LV day. The Sparks play the Mercury in LA Tuesday and they ARE going to win that game.

Last edited:
Seriously, current Lady Vols only need to look at their LV sister Jordan Horston as proof that even great athletes can improve their natural gifts with some focused work on their bodies. She is leaping like she's got pogo sticks for legs now. She was never a slouch in that area, but the improvement in her vertical as a pro is eyepopping.

Seriously, current Lady Vols only need to look at their LV sister Jordan Horston as proof that even great athletes can improve their natural gifts with some focused work on their bodies. She is leaping like she's got pogo sticks for legs now. She was never a slouch in that area, but the improvement in her vertical as a pro is eyepopping.
Actually, Jordy made that leap (pun intended) btw her jr and sr yrs here. Remember they told us like every broadcast she had improved her vertical 6 inches that summer. We pooh poohed that at first, then it turned out to be true. Being fully healthy this year has helped her a ton.

Can't believe the Storm can't see they're a better team with her on the floor. Still can't believe they started Sami Whitcomb instead of Jordy. Being without one of their scorers, in this case Nnecka, doesn't really hurt them. It's being without that swiss army knife player that hurts them. Unfortunately, their coach called Gabby Williams their "French army knife" in the postgame.

Fever just might rest starters in final game at Washington tomorrow. Nothing to gain by winning or nothing to lose. Locked into 6th seed have homecourt in 1st game own TB over the Mercury.
I think there will be lots of resting going on this week. I hope the Mercury rest even more than usual at LA tonight. That's already a team where vet players routinely take games off just cuz they can.

Wow, top billing! If the Sparks can't pull this off tonight, and I'm pretty convinced they just don't have a clue how to win anymore, they're headed for the worst record in WNBA history. One more game left, but it's the Lynx in Minny and they're probably the best team in the league right now. The upside is it's pretty safe to say next year the Sparks will have one of the the biggest turnarounds in league history.

VN Store

Back