2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

"careful growth" is what has held the W back
Marketing and growth has to happen

Women make up 52% of the population,,there is no reason not to have more teams and more opportunities to find another Kaitlyn,,,Heck yeah,,,
grow!
grow!
grow!
Expansion teams will always struggle for an extended period… though some will find a way to jump into the fray quickly. One key will be placing the new teams in strong markets.

Reactions: krichunaka
Expansion teams will always struggle for an extended period… though some will find a way to jump into the fray quickly. One key will be placing the new teams in strong markets.
the other key is getting butts in seats...even a non-paying butt can be beneficial as it makes the visual look like "the place to be"...that non-payer can be replaced with a payer later on

Portland is getting a franchise again starting in '26. So Toronto and Golden State in '25, and Portland in '26. 15 teams with hope of a 16th by '28. I really hope Nashville can snag that 16th spot. Although I bet it will be somewhere in Florida.
Nashville needs some rich guy or company to step up and give a commitment. Money talks, but Nashville would make so much sense with the history of Tennessee and Vanderbilt basketball. Would all you guys support a WNBA team? Besides money, the area has to show that the support is there, so if nothing is being done or researched then nothing is going to happen.

the other key is getting butts in seats...even a non-paying butt can be beneficial as it makes the visual look like "the place to be"...that non-payer can be replaced with a payer later on

Nashville needs some rich guy or company to step up and give a commitment. Money talks, but Nashville would make so much sense with the history of Tennessee and Vanderbilt basketball. Would all you guys support a WNBA team? Besides money, the area has to show that the support is there, so if nothing is being done or researched then nothing is going to happen.
We've already discussed being season ticket holders for a WNBA and NWSL team in Nashville. Women's sports are our thing, moreso soccer than basketball though to be honest. I have to imagine it would be marketed to tourists as well, particularly the WNBA since I assume they'd play at Bridgestone right downtown. I know it's football, but the Titans have been sustained (or overrun, depending on your view) by visiting fans treating it as a vacation. Sports tourism is a major priority for local Nashville government.

VN Store

Back