2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

Wow. Honestly did not see this coming. If not for bad luck w coaches, Rickea would have none at all.
Frosh yr - Vic Shaeffer, left for Texas
Soph yr - Nikki McCray, covid yr, a total coaching disaster and then Nikki got sick again and left.
Jr yr - some guy nobody knew, had never coached women, brought in Hayes, lockerroom disaster and Rickea left
Sr and Supersenior yr - KJH, only time she's ever had same coach 2 yrs and KJH was on the way out.
Rookie WNBA yr - Curt, who she seemed to like but who's handling of her was very suspect.
Next yr - ????????

Unbelievable.
Wow. Honestly did not see this coming. However, when Li Yeuru refused to resign last week I was suspicious things weren't great.

If not for bad luck w coaches, Rickea would have none at all.
Frosh yr - Vic Shaeffer, left for Texas
Soph yr - Nikki McCray, covid yr, a total coaching disaster and then Nikki got sick again and left.
Jr yr - some guy nobody knew, had never coached women, brought in Hayes, lockerroom disaster and Rickea left
Sr and Supersenior yr - KJH, only time she's ever had same coach 2 yrs and KJH was on the way out.
Rookie WNBA yr - Curt, who she seemed to like but who's handling of her was very suspect.
Next yr - ????????

Unbelievable. She's thrived almost in spite of coaching, not because.
The Lady Vol fan in me is ecstatic she chose TN - and is a LVFL.

The basketball fan in me thinks she would’ve benefited the most (as a HOOPER) by following Vic to Texas.

She would’ve been a 3x 1st Team All-American, Conference Champ, Conference Player of The Year, with at least one Final Four.

The basketball fan in me thinks she would’ve benefited the most (as a HOOPER) by following Vic to Texas.

She would’ve been a 3x 1st Team All-American, Conference Champ, Conference Player of The Year, with at least one Final Four.
Yes, but it was while hear that she heard the right words,,,had she been at TX that wouldn't have happened

Yes, but it was while hear that she heard the right words,,,had she been at TX that wouldn't have happened
100% agree w ttharp, 100% disagree w CJ (surprise!).

She very much needed an "Alpha' coach and Vic was it. It's why she chose him. Things most likely wouldn't have gone off track for her if she had followed him and she would have thrived. It wouldn't have been perfect and she would have been in his doghouse some (like she was her frosh yr) but the outcome would have been epic. Those next 2 seasons (1 and 1/2) at MSU, w covid and horrible coaching choices were absolute disaster in every way for both Rickea and that program.

Things happen the way they're supposed to though, and I give Kellie and especially Sam Williams great credit for finding the right words.

Man, if Rickea ever gets a coaching break . . .

So glad LA made the change. Not sure why the players are shocked. I’m glad for Rickea most of all, hope they invest in a good coach she can grow under. Miller was not it, sorry.
I have to defer to what the players say. It was surprising, but they (including Rickea) seemed to really like and trust Curt and not think things were his fault. The Sparks never quit and always played hard for him. Espec hate it for the staff who Rickea seemed to have really bonded with, she credited them for her defensive turnaround.

That said, while one play is never "it", I think Miller's equivalent to Kellie's 1.1 second meltdown was when he took Rickea out during her 25 pt game and ran a last play instead for Steph Talbot. That whole loss to the Mavericks 108-105 was probably "it".

Atlanta Dream goes out with a whimper after 3 good qtrs against the Liberty. Wright is the coach that needs to be fired.

Aces out to a good start over the Storm, Jordy hasn't played yet.

Reactions: travis929
I have to defer to what the players say. It was surprising, but they (including Rickea) seemed to really like and trust Curt and not think things were his fault. The Sparks never quit and always played hard for him. Espec hate it for the staff who Rickea seemed to have really bonded with, she credited them for her defensive turnaround.

That said, while one play is never "it", I think Miller's equivalent to Kellie's 1.1 second meltdown was when he took Rickea out during her 25 pt game and ran a last play instead for Steph Talbot. That whole loss to the Mavericks 108-105 was probably "it".

I have to defer to the product on the floor. Full stop.

Looks like both our top tier WNBA LVFLs are in for a rough offseason. Jordy's Seattle Storm has descended into chaos after being swept by the LV Aces to end their season. Jordy played 16 mins in a game where the Storm played just seven players. They shot horribly, as has been their trademark all season. Jewell Loyd topped off her nightmare season by going 3-11 and is getting fire from fans.

Loyd's mom was sh*t posting before the game was even over, blaming coaches for forgetting her and not running plays for her. Can't imagine the embarrassment of being 30 yrs old and having your helicopter mom in twitter wars over you! Topped it off by posting "Go Aces".Toxc sports parents never grow too old.

In her post game, Noelle Quinn blamed "certain" players for season long lack of effort and said it spread to certain others on the team. Truth is, Quinn and staff were unprepared to handle so much stacked talent once Nnecka got there, and picking up more in Gabby Williams (though she played well) made a bad situation worse. Dagger is that the Storm gave up future draft picks to sign this mess and are stuck with it.

Jordy will be in the 3rd yr of her 4 yr rookie contract next season so she's stuck unless they don't core her and leave her open for expansion draft. Which I kind of hope happens. One thing I know for sure, Jordan Horston was not and never will be one of the lack of effort players. She gave her all. Hope she has the time of her life in New Zealand.

100% agree w ttharp, 100% disagree w CJ (surprise!).

She very much needed an "Alpha' coach and Vic was it. It's why she chose him. Things most likely wouldn't have gone off track for her if she had followed him and she would have thrived. It wouldn't have been perfect and she would have been in his doghouse some (like she was her frosh yr) but the outcome would have been epic. Those next 2 seasons (1 and 1/2) at MSU, w covid and horrible coaching choices were absolute disaster in every way for both Rickea and that program.

Things happen the way they're supposed to though, and I give Kellie and especially Sam Williams great credit for finding the right words.

Man, if Rickea ever gets a coaching break . . .
I am going give Rickea credit for knowing where she was best suited. I think the difference with Vic would have been more in terms of what she won, rather than her development per se. As a player she thrived under Kellie and we will never know what might have been if not for that dreaded calf injury. That season she never really found the magic she had against team USA.

Curt was dead man walking. This may not have been a playoff once Brink went down but they had more than enough to not be the worst WNBA history. If they get some luck, they win the Paige Beuckers lottery sweepstakes and find a coach who knows how to manage talent. Hoping Rae can stay with the new regime and they make a trade for Jordy and bring in Mercedes as a post option. Sparks = LVs west!

Some of these flagrant fouls called in WNBA this season has been horrid.
agree...but on the flipside, some of the "hard-foul non-calls" has given me a nostalgic feeling of YES! for the good ol days of the NBA,,,back when refs would actually let them play basketball bordering on basketbrawl,,,instead of this "touch me not basketball" that they play today

I love the fact that the zebras are letting them play (I just hope they stay consistent and don't call ticky-tack foul one moment and let a mugging go the next.

This brand of basketball is what will push the wnba past the nba if they continue to do this...at least in this ol coach's opinion

I am going give Rickea credit for knowing where she was best suited. I think the difference with Vic would have been more in terms of what she won, rather than her development per se. As a player she thrived under Kellie and we will never know what might have been if not for that dreaded calf injury. That season she never really found the magic she had against team USA.

Curt was dead man walking. This may not have been a playoff once Brink went down but they had more than enough to not be the worst WNBA history. If they get some luck, they win the Paige Beuckers lottery sweepstakes and find a coach who knows how to manage talent. Hoping Rae can stay with the new regime and they make a trade for Jordy and bring in Mercedes as a post option. Sparks = LVs west!
Wouldn't say RJ 'never' found the magic her last year, just couldn't bring it consistently - until the end of the season where she was spectacular. I'd argue her performance in the dreaded 1.1 SEC tourney game was one of the great 'put the team on your back' games in LV history, 22 pts 9 rebs 8 assists against the best team in the country. Also was her outstanding self in both NCAA games, 26 pts 9 rebs in first round then finished LV career with a 33 pt 10 reb double double on 60% shooting against final four team NC State in her last LV game. Alot of those last 3 games got lost in the disappointment and drama.

I think there's something more to the Miller firing than we know about. It was so sudden and no one, not Miller, the players, the media, no one saw it coming. I don't think people realize how respected he was during his time w the Sun. Was considered one of the leagues best coaches and best developers of talent.

I'm newly worried about Rae. Now she has to win over a new staff. I wouldn't be completely surprised if Rae ends up in the expansion draft.

Last edited:
agree...but on the flipside, some of the "hard-foul non-calls" has given me a nostalgic feeling of YES! for the good ol days of the NBA,,,back when refs would actually let them play basketball bordering on basketbrawl,,,instead of this "touch me not basketball" that they play today

I love the fact that the zebras are letting them play (I just hope they stay consistent and don't call ticky-tack foul one moment and let a mugging go the next.

This brand of basketball is what will push the wnba past the nba if they continue to do this...at least in this ol coach's opinion
Yea I'm not great with wording stuff often but that's what I was trying to say. The flagrant on Cunningham last night was a lazy call. Yes it was a hard foul but so what, they're not playing flag football let them play the game.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Naphessa Collier. Damn. As talented as Wilson, just not quite as consistent with it. But just put up stats in a 2 game playoff sweep that would make your Mama cry - 80, that's right 80 pts (38 and 42) on 25-39 fg shooting, 5-8 3 pt shooting, 11 rebs and 8 assists plus various blocks and steals. Had scored 30 pts her last playoff game last yr, so 3 straight 30+ pt playoff games, first and only in W history. Just amazing.

As I've said many times, what makes Phee extra special for me is she does all this with total class, no flopping, flailing, whining or showboating. She'll question a call occassionally and def stand up for herself and teammates, but is a wonderful relief from the drama mamas who rule the league.

I'm all in for the Lynx winning it all.

Last edited:
Yea I'm not great with wording stuff often but that's what I was trying to say. The flagrant on Cunningham last night was a lazy call. Yes it was a hard foul but so what, they're not playing flag football let them play the game.
They have to get a firm hold over the excessive whining on every call and the flopping and flailing on every contact. Both of those make the game much harder to be properly called. So much fakery going on.

I don't like the WNBA first round playoff schedule in which the higher seed host the first two games in the best of three series. These rarely produce a 3rd game given the dynamic of the higher seeded team mostly winning out playing only at home. It also deprives the other teams and their fans a home game, which is not a good way to grow the sport. I would prefer a home-away-home format with the higher seed still having an earned advantage of possibly playing twice at home. This would produce more competitive series and build on the popularity of the game.

I don't like the WNBA first round playoff schedule in which the higher seed host the first two games in the best of three series. These rarely produce a 3rd game given the dynamic of the higher seeded team mostly winning out playing only at home. It also deprives the other teams and their fans a home game, which is not a good way to grow the sport. I would prefer a home-away-home format with the higher seed still having an earned advantage of possibly playing twice at home. This would produce more competitive series and build on the popularity of the game.
Or better yet away-home-home for the higher seed.

VN Store

Back