$3 Trillion Infrastructure and Jobs Plan Coming

That is ridiculous. You are defining "infrastructure" too narrowly. $66 billion has been designated for railways. $73 billion has been designated for power grids and $42 billion for airports and waterways. That is infrastructure.

Also, is there any doubt that the Republicans in the Senate from purple states who voted against this bill, will try to take credit for the projects in their state that will be funded by it? It's either that or they will retire. Take Pat Toomey from Pennsylvania. He voted against the bill, and his approval ratings plunged. He is basically forced into retirement now. He was going to get killed in the 2022 election and he knew it.
Those people will be retired or dead before any projects are done….. They take years and years to complete.

Reactions: AM64
Those people will be retired or dead before any projects are done….. They take years and years to complete.
A project doesn't need to have been completed for a politician to take credit for it's funding, even though he/she had voted against the bill from which the project had been designated.

Case in point :

Shortly after Democrats in Congress passed President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief legislation, a Republican Senator (Roger Wicker from Mississippi), was already trying to take some personal credit for the passage of the bill, which was popular in his state, even though he and every other Republican had voted against it.

In March, Sen. Roger Wicker (R - Miss), sent a tweet which boasted that independent restaurant operators were going to get billions of dollars coming to their aid, thanks to the COVID-19 relief bill which was about to become law. When reporters on Capitol Hill asked Sen. Wicker about his tweet, and brought it to his attention that he was boasting over a provision from a bill which he had voted against, he became very defensive and said that it was a "stupid question," and he has declined to discuss it ever since.

Granted, it's not just Republicans who take credit for provisions, from bills they opposed. Democrats do it as well. However, it is naive of you to think that this infrastructure bill will be any different, just because those projects have not even begun yet. This is just what politicians do.

A project doesn't need to have been completed for a politician to take credit for it's funding, even though he/she had voted against the bill from which the project had been designated.

Case in point :

Shortly after Democrats in Congress passed President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief legislation, a Republican Senator (Roger Wicker from Mississippi), was already trying to take some personal credit for the passage of the bill, which was popular in his state, even though he and every other Republican had voted against it.

In March, Sen. Roger Wicker (R - Miss), sent a tweet which boasted that independent restaurant operators were going to get billions of dollars coming to their aid, thanks to the COVID-19 relief bill which was about to become law. When reporters on Capitol Hill asked Sen. Wicker about his tweet, and brought it to his attention that he was boasting over a provision from a bill which he had voted against, he became very defensive and said that it was a "stupid question," and he has declined to discuss it ever since.

Granted, it's not just Republicans who take credit for provisions, from bills they opposed. Democrats do it as well. However, it is naive of you to think that this infrastructure bill will be any different, just because those projects have not even begun yet. This is just what politicians do.
The covid-19 relief bill was handing out free money….. I don’t think an infrastructure bill pushes the needle as much as free money does…. When they start breaking ground….. it will get negative feedback bc of the hassle it causes people trying to go from point A to point B.

Reactions: AM64
The covid-19 relief bill was handing out free money….. I don’t think an infrastructure bill pushes the needle as much as free money does…. When they start breaking ground….. it will get negative feedback bc of the hassle it causes people trying to go from point A to point B.
Each year on April 15, I want you to make a post in this thread reminding all of us about the "free" money that was given away in the Covid-19 relief boondoggle and the infrastructure bill.

I was not discussing the merits of either bill.

I was pointing out how Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss), tried to take credit for a popular provision in the COVID-19 relief bill, even though he had actually voted against passage of the bill itself. As politicians often do, Sen. Wicker was trying to have it both ways. He wanted credit for a portion of the bill that his constituents approve of, while also being able to show how he had stood up to those fiscally irresponsible democrats, and their inflationary spending. You can't have it both ways. You either voted for or against it.

Just like with the COVID-19 relief bill, Republicans will try to take credit for provisions in the infrastructure bill that they liked, after having voted against the bill itself. I realize that Democrats do this as well, and when they do it, it's equally ridiculous.

it will get negative feedback bc of the hassle it causes people trying to go from point A to point B.
And that is definitely not the case with every provision contained in the bill. Some of these projects are long overdue, and desperately need to be done - especially in Louisiana.

Not a very ringing endorsement and a complete misrepresentation of “23%”

Overall, 54 percent said they either “strongly support” or “somewhat support” the bill, versus 31 percent who said they “strongly oppose ” or “somewhat oppose” the bill — a 23-point margin.

Reactions: StarRaider
Not a very ringing endorsement and a complete misrepresentation of “23%”

That sounds like endorsement to me, no different than performance polling. I was speaking to the fact that the questions was so open and I do not beleive that people know that $1T is not even for infrastructure.

That sounds like endorsement to me, no different than performance polling. I was speaking to the fact that the questions was so open and I do not beleive that people know that $1T is not even for infrastructure.
Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill Passes, What Happens Next

The $1.2 trillion bipartisan bill contains $550 billion in new spending. The $1.2 trillion figure comes from including additional funding normally allocated each year for highways and other infrastructure projects.

Itemized new spending includes :

$110 billion for roads and bridges

$66 billion for railroads

$65 billion for the power grid

$65 billion for broadband

$55 billion for water infrastructure

$47 billion for cybersecurity to address flooding, wildfires, drought and coastal erosion

$39 billion for public transit

$25 billion for airports

$21 billion for the environment - specifically to clean up abandoned mines and old oil and gas wells

$17 billion for ports

$11 billion for highway safety

$8 billion for western water infrastructure

$7.5 billion for electric vehicle charging stations

$7.5 billion for electric school buses

It is very much an infrastructure-based bill. I think the biggest objection that Republicans have to this, is that it was a Democrat who signed it. This comes down to tribalism.

Last edited:
I would love for the signing to be delayed because all those ceremonial pens they use are stuck on a cargo ship off Long Island

A report on my phone says the stuck container ship count is up to 111 ... for California alone.

Yepper, we're still waiting for the first year Obama pump to have an effect ... 12 years and counting. All that money back then didn't seem to fix much.

Reactions: StarRaider
Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill Passes, What Happens Next

The $1.2 trillion bipartisan bill contains $550 billion in new spending. The $1.2 trillion figure comes from including additional funding normally allocated each year for highways and other infrastructure projects.

Itemized new spending includes :

$110 billion for roads and bridges

$66 billion for railroads

$65 billion for the power grid

$65 billion for broadband

$55 billion for water infrastructure

$47 billion for cybersecurity to address flooding, wildfires, drought and coastal erosion

$39 billion for public transit

$25 billion for airports

$21 billion for the environment - specifically to clean up abandoned mines and old oil and gas wells

$17 billion for ports

$11 billion for highway safety

$8 billion for western water infrastructure

$7.5 billion for electric vehicle charging stations

$7.5 billion for electric school buses

It is very much an infrastructure-based bill. I think the biggest objection that Republicans have to this, is that it was a Democrat who signed it. This comes down to tribalism.

There was a lot of partisanship in the bill too. For example, the bill killed the COVID 19 Employee Retention Credit from the CARES Act. That has nothing to do with infrastructure but it was supported by Republican megadonor Sheldon Adelson in 2020.

Providing support to small businesses < Killing off Republican led initiative

I Read Biden's Build Back Better Plan And... Oh, My God

The White House's official press release announcing the Build Back Better Act (BBB) pitches it as a "PLAN TO REBUILD THE MIDDLE CLASS." It rhapsodizes about "working families" squeezed by the economy, and reminds voters that "Biden promised to rebuild the backbone of the country -- the middle class."

A cartoon illustrates the sort of person who would benefit from Biden's Build Back Better programs: "Linda," a white woman, who works at a manufacturing plant but struggles to raise her son, "Leo."

One thing the White House's official press release did not mention is that almost all of the $2 trillion doled out under BBB is expressly designated for Black, Latino, Native American, Asian American, Pacific Islander and non-English speaking individuals. White Americans will get nothing and like it.

Over and over again, the bill is written expressly NOT to help the hardworking Linda, apparently because she is white. Here are just a few examples:

Reactions: AM64 and BreatheUT

The White House's official press release announcing the Build Back Better Act (BBB) pitches it as a "PLAN TO REBUILD THE MIDDLE CLASS." It rhapsodizes about "working families" squeezed by the economy, and reminds voters that "Biden promised to rebuild the backbone of the country -- the middle class."

A cartoon illustrates the sort of person who would benefit from Biden's Build Back Better programs: "Linda," a white woman, who works at a manufacturing plant but struggles to raise her son, "Leo."

One thing the White House's official press release did not mention is that almost all of the $2 trillion doled out under BBB is expressly designated for Black, Latino, Native American, Asian American, Pacific Islander and non-English speaking individuals. White Americans will get nothing and like it.

Over and over again, the bill is written expressly NOT to help the hardworking Linda, apparently because she is white. Here are just a few examples:

All 52 cards in the Democratic deck have the word RACE clearly written at the top in all caps.

There are Republican House members, such as Madison Cawhorn, Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert and Marjorie Taylor Greene, calling for the 13 Republicans in the House of Reps. who voted in favor of the infrastructure bill to be removed from committee assignments. As a Democrat, I don't mind it, but it is incredibly petty and foolish. The only thing this will end up accomplishing is driving these centrists out of their seats and replacing them with candidates who will run too far to the right to be elected in those purple districts. You can't vote from the far right in every district and keep your seat. They should prefer having right of center Republicans in those seats, than having left of center Democrats in them.

There are Republican House members, such as Madison Cawhorn, Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert and Marjorie Taylor Greene, calling for the 13 Republicans in the House of Reps. who voted in favor of the infrastructure bill to be removed from committee assignments. As a Democrat, I don't mind it, but it is incredibly petty and foolish. The only thing this will end up accomplishing is driving these centrists out of their seats and replacing them with candidates who will run too far to the right to be elected in those purple districts. You can't vote from the far right in every district and keep your seat. They should prefer having right of center Republicans in those seats, than having left of center Democrats in them.
We're not too concerned about losing those seats (or pretty much any seats) to the Democrats in 2022. This will be the biggest landslide election since the Reagan presidential run.

Reactions: NEO

If the republicans who voted for this nonsense were centrists, they wouldn't be voting for this kind of garbage. One thing about it is that you will almost certainly be paying more and longer for it than I will, so have fun.

We're not too concerned about losing those seats (or pretty much any seats) to the Democrats in 2022. This will be the biggest landslide election since the Reagan presidential run.
I disagree. I don't even think it will be as big as the Democrat's 40 seat flip in 2018.... but we will see.

What I said is true. You can't always vote straight down the party line in every district, and keep your seat.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back