8-4

We had the 17th ranked offense.

1st time in 7 years Heupel didn't have a Top 10 offense.

We had 38th ranked Total Defense.
- Not great, or even good. But definitely better than "Not worth a crap"

Joe Million gave the ball back to quickly too often. Also the defense still isn't where we want it to be. But it wasn't "Not worth a crap"

Our defense was in the higher percentage across the NCAA.
Oh, quit trying to make a "fan" act like one. It only confuses them and frustrates you.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
i think, especially with the smoke about evan stewart, that heupel may be looking at the 2022 recipe. try to have a defense that can hold the opponent to 50 points every game and an offense that can score 51 every game. Can it work? maybe, it has before. Will it work? maybe

The team has to show improvement next season, or more players head to the transfer portal, recruiting suffers and then you have to question, why give Heupel a 5th year? 9 or 10 wins with Florida being one of the wins and Nico playing up to the hype, would be a big step in the right direction for the Vols next year.

At this time, there is no way to predict what our record will be next year. No one knows what our team is going to look like, not even the coaching staff knows. The 12-team playoff is new and we don't know what it will take to get in. I for one, am just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. I think this team will be much better than many expect. I do agree the Defense needs to be much improved. Both with better players and better coaching.

This is the last game WM is under contract for unless he gets an extension. He’s the only assistant that didn’t get an extension last February if I’m not mistaken. My guess as to why there’s so many DBs in the portal is he has let them know the he will be looking for a new DB coach moving forward, imo.
Martinez & Heupel gave them git shirts because they just haven't panned out. Martinez is about saving his job and something had to give. Heupel believes in him and has seen his work. They both know the joes that were here, and transferred injust haven't cut it. So, instead of Martinez, it was the entire DB except Tank.

Even if somehow we struggle next year, no way is Heupel is going to be on the hot seat.

DW has too much respect for Heupel to give up on him now.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
Martinez & Heupel gave them git shirts because they just haven't panned out. Martinez is about saving his job and something had to give. Heupel believes in him and has seen his work. They both know the joes that were here, and transferred injust haven't cut it. So, instead of Martinez, it was the entire DB except Tank.

Huepel has never had an assistant that he didn’t believe in, apparently.

At this time, there is no way to predict what our record will be next year. No one knows what our team is going to look like, not even the coaching staff knows. The 12-team playoff is new and we don't know what it will take to get in. I for one, am just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. I think this team will be much better than many expect. I do agree the Defense needs to be much improved. Both with better players and better coaching.
A scary thought, if the 12 team playoff was this year, Mizzou might have been a team of destiny and won the championship. If the thought of that happening doesn't make the team and Vol fans sick, I don't know what will.

Last edited:
Even if somehow we struggle next year, no way is Heupel is going to be on the hot seat.

DW has too much respect for Heupel to give up on him now.
If he struggles next year, White cant give him the 5th season without setting the team back another decade when both will be fired in the 5th season.

Y'all expect too much too quick. Before Heupel, 8-4 was the best regular season we had since Erik Ainge was QB. That was without 1/3 of the team transferring and dealing with NCAA infractions. Y'all got spoiled with last year and overlooked all of the key players we were losing and didn't have an equal replacement behind them.

2022 earned Heupel more time. It shouldn't immediately add pressure to do that year after year without acknowledging circumstances beyond his control.

Y'all expect too much too quick. Before Heupel, 8-4 was the best regular season we had since Erik Ainge was QB. That was without 1/3 of the team transferring and dealing with NCAA infractions. Y'all got spoiled with last year and overlooked all of the key players we were losing and didn't have an equal replacement behind them.

2022 earned Heupel more time. It shouldn't immediately add pressure to do that year after year without acknowledging circumstances beyond his control.
No one is expecting a championship or even a playoff appearance next season. We just want to see improvement.

I agree… Heupel met his match this year in believing he could make Milton a great Qb. He made him serviceable and that’s about it. I look for next year to start looking like a different team on offense once Nico gets more and more comfortable.

No one is expecting a championship or even a playoff appearance next season. We just want to see improvement.
The problem is people were expecting improvement on 11-2 which would pretty much mean a championship or playoff appearance. Everyone was hyping up how good we were going to be and how Milton was going to win the Heisman instead of looking at things objectively and realizing we had an uphill battle this season, which set a large portion of the fanbase up for a huge letdown and resulted in everyone turning on Heupel.

I'm not saying I'm ok with 8-4 forever and I've certainly been critical of things at times (especially the Florida game) and probably will continue to be. With that said, Heupel has earned time to get his guys in and develop them.

Going forward into next season with the 12 team playoff, 8-4 isn’t going to cut it here anymore not with the expectations at a place like UT and especially when you see what Ole Miss and Mizzou are doing. Unfortunately I can see 8-4 or 7-5 next season with Heupel retaining Willie and Tim and I don’t think Hazel is gonna get it done as OC. We really missed Golesh this season. The 12 team playoff is gonna change everything with college football gonna be like the NFL now. We need to set the expectations at 10-2 and not necessarily having to win the SEC because we could still get in the playoffs.
Swallow hard because next year will be another 7-8 win season.

VN Store

Back