8-4

This is the last game WM is under contract for unless he gets an extension. He’s the only assistant that didn’t get an extension last February if I’m not mistaken. My guess as to why there’s so many DBs in the portal is he has let them know the he will be looking for a new DB coach moving forward, imo.
🤞

We may have a generational game changing QB in Nico but won’t do us much good if we don’t have a defense worth a crap.
In UT’s near playoff bound year in ‘22, the D gave up 1.0 ppg less than the defense in ‘23. The difference was the offense (over 15 ppg difference).

Reactions: mpfvol
He is not the problem, Banks is the problem
This is where you and i will disagree yes Banks is the dc but Martinez is the position coach and the the one who teachs technique. Now i will say that if it were me at dc i wouldn't let him coach the position or make any calls or adjustments in game. But if Martinez is gone next year and the dbs are better then any argument about who is to blame goes out the window.

This is the last game WM is under contract for unless he gets an extension. He’s the only assistant that didn’t get an extension last February if I’m not mistaken. My guess as to why there’s so many DBs in the portal is he has let them know the he will be looking for a new DB coach moving forward, imo.
I pray you’re correct

He is not the problem, Banks is the problem
Neither is the problem. Impatience is the problem. Our defense has improved year over year since they got here. Until that trend reverses without a championship to show for it, I won’t understand the complaints.

I am fairly certain thats the direction the OP is heading.

Wonder how many Dooleys/jones/Pruitts we have to go through before some of the fans learn patience is a virtue
I’ll admit when he was hired I wasn’t thrilled. It was going to be a five year project then evaluate. Heupel has done nothing but exceed my expectations. Banks I think has been not as good but he has improved the defense every year. I think he was given the same grace as Heupel for the most part; he was told he would have time to get his players in place.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
This is where you and i will disagree yes Banks is the dc but Martinez is the position coach and the the one who teachs technique. Now i will say that if it were me at dc i wouldn't let him coach the position or make any calls or adjustments in game. But if Martinez is gone next year and the dbs are better then any argument about who is to blame goes out the window.
Banks coaches safeties, they have been terrible, is that Martinez fault too?

Mizzou… hope they enjoyed the ride. stick a fork in em.

BTW Don’t ever compare Tennessee with Missouri football again. Sounds like a history lesson is due

I've been saying all season that Golesh is the missing piece from this team. We've got the die hards who say Heupel calls the plays so Golesh is not the missing piece. Just keep your eye on USF and see how he handles that team. GBO
Even Golesh could not have improved Milton enough to best Alabama, Georgia, or Missouri this year. We just didn’t have the Oline to do it.

Going forward into next season with the 12 team playoff, 8-4 isn’t going to cut it here anymore not with the expectations at a place like UT and especially when you see what Ole Miss and Mizzou are doing. Unfortunately I can see 8-4 or 7-5 next season with Heupel retaining Willie and Tim and I don’t think Hazel is gonna get it done as OC. We really missed Golesh this season. The 12 team playoff is gonna change everything with college football gonna be like the NFL now. We need to set the expectations at 10-2 and not necessarily having to win the SEC because we could still get in the playoffs.
What we really missed this season was Hooker, Wright, Hyatt and Tillman! They were the 4 most important cogs of the '22 offense. It's unreasonable to expect that you can lose your 4 best players on offense and expect similar results. Joe played better than people give him credit for. He didn't have quite as good an OL nor the playmakers Hooker had.

8-4 isn't goong to cut it becuase Heupel has raised the expectations. Fortunately I think last season was an outliar. We are adding some nice offensive weapons this offseason and Heupel is too good of an offensive mind to hold down too long. I also have a hard time believing Nico won't lead us to the playoffs in the next two years. No need to worry

Anyone with knowledge of the program knew when Heupel took over, Vols had no personnel to compete for a NC. The program was also facing major sanctions that opponents used effectively in recruiting. Being close to a 12 team playoff today is beyond my expectations in Jan 2021.

Please don’t show your ignorance of the situation by claiming “the portal” as an option. 1) Tennessee self imposed 12 scholarships the first two yrs & 2) will play with 2 or more less scholarships every yr. The next 5.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

VN Store

Back