8-4

A scary thought, if the 12 team playoff was this year, Mizzou might have been a team of destiny and won the championship. If the thought of that happening doesn't make the team and Vol fans sick, I don't know what will.
Or Ole Miss, they would’ve made the playoff too. Mizzou , Bama, Georgia and Ole Miss would’ve got in if the 12 team playoff had of been this season

This is the last game WM is under contract for unless he gets an extension. He’s the only assistant that didn’t get an extension last February if I’m not mistaken. My guess as to why there’s so many DBs in the portal is he has let them know the he will be looking for a new DB coach moving forward, imo.
Or he's coming back and they said fk dis😜

A scary thought, if the 12 team playoff was this year, Mizzou might have been a team of destiny and won the championship. If the thought of that happening doesn't make the team and Vol fans sick, I don't know what will.
They just have great leaders. Physical and fundamentally sound team and both the QB and RB are tough as nails. Pretty darned good, too. We could play them a dozen times and we'd be lucky to win one game.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
We had the 17th ranked offense.

1st time in 7 years Heupel didn't have a Top 10 offense.

We had 38th ranked Total Defense.
- Not great, or even good. But definitely better than "Not worth a crap"

Joe Million gave the ball back to quickly too often. Also the defense still isn't where we want it to be. But it wasn't "Not worth a crap"

Our defense was in the higher percentage across the NCAA.
hang on now, you’re making too much sense for this place! Only highly emotional hot takes allowed. Ha.

My question is: seeing how we’ve had to upend the whole program every 3-4 years for the past decade and a half, why should we restart the process now? We had a great year last year, and could have had just as good this year given a couple lucky bounces and some better performances out of some key people.

Of course not but we need to be in the playoff in the next couple of years don’t you agree ?
There are about 32 other teams getting ready to fire their coaches if they don't make the final 12 next year. News is 20 won't make the top 12, be a lot of coaches fired next year.

I get being loyal to people but that will destroy you now. A lot of DB's went to the portal, why? Heupel has to get the guy to win, coaches included.
Did any db that went into the portal look like they were a major loss? I mean honestly can we not get at worst similar talent to replace them probably better talent. A lot of people see them leaving as a loss but to me it’s addition by subtraction.

Reactions: MiramarVol
Going forward into next season with the 12 team playoff, 8-4 isn’t going to cut it here anymore not with the expectations at a place like UT and especially when you see what Ole Miss and Mizzou are doing. Unfortunately I can see 8-4 or 7-5 next season with Heupel retaining Willie and Tim and I don’t think Hazel is gonna get it done as OC. We really missed Golesh this season. The 12 team playoff is gonna change everything with college football gonna be like the NFL now. We need to set the expectations at 10-2 and not necessarily having to win the SEC because we could still get in the playoffs.
I've been saying all season that Golesh is the missing piece from this team. We've got the die hards who say Heupel calls the plays so Golesh is not the missing piece. Just keep your eye on USF and see how he handles that team. GBO

Did any db that went into the portal look like they were a major loss? I mean honestly can we not get at worst similar talent to replace them probably better talent. A lot of people see them leaving as a loss but to me it’s addition by subtraction.
The "Losses" no in and of themselves. Who are we replacing them with? And will any new additions be coached any better?

Reactions: DarkVolder
Going forward into next season with the 12 team playoff, 8-4 isn’t going to cut it here anymore not with the expectations at a place like UT and especially when you see what Ole Miss and Mizzou are doing. Unfortunately I can see 8-4 or 7-5 next season with Heupel retaining Willie and Tim and I don’t think Hazel is gonna get it done as OC. We really missed Golesh this season. The 12 team playoff is gonna change everything with college football gonna be like the NFL now. We need to set the expectations at 10-2 and not necessarily having to win the SEC because we could still get in the playoffs.
It's not the off season until Tuesday

Martinez will not be back.

I'm still holding out hope that on Monday Nico is going to give us all a reason to be excited about the future. I don't know anybody that wants Heupel to be fired or doesn't think he's a great fit for the program in a lot of ways. But if you look at the SEC and this new era of college football, it's very unclear whether or not the program moved a step forward or backward over the last 12 months. There are teams similar to TN that appear to be passing us by (Ole Miss, Texas, Missouri, LSU). We're at the point where we need scandals or coaches retiring/leaving to gain ground on those in front of us. That's not going to keep a coach around for more than 5 seasons.

Reactions: loservol
The "Losses" no in and of themselves. Who are we replacing them with? And will any new additions be coached any better?
Sometimes I wonder if our fans can understand no matter how well you coach a Ford Fiesta it just isn’t going to run like a Ferrari. I wouldn’t be surprised to see our maligned coaches suddenly improve when they get better players at safety and it opens up what they can do with the coverages.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Sometimes I wonder if our fans can understand no matter how well you coach a Ford Fiesta it just isn’t going to run like a Ferrari. I wouldn’t be surprised to see our maligned coaches suddenly improve when they get better players at safety and it opens up what they can do with the coverages.
That's a cool diatribe and all, but can you answer what you responded to? Thanks.

If they cant show improvement and that everything is moving in the right direction, the better players will always choose other programs. It sucks for them, but our coaches need to work at least 5x harder than all the other college coaches combined, if they are ever going to see and build sustainable success at UT.

That's a cool diatribe and all, but can you answer what you responded to? Thanks.
We will have some portal additions. Already have had a few. Will have some true freshmen coming in that will be good but idk how soon they will be ready. Gibson likely will start at CB next year, the kid from Oregon state will likely have the other CB spot. No idea who they will have at safety starting.

I wouldn't lose it over Missouri having one good year. They do that once a decade, I highly doubt they become a powerhouse.

We will have some portal additions. Already have had a few. Will have some true freshmen coming in that will be good but idk how soon they will be ready. Gibson likely will start at CB next year, the kid from Oregon state will likely have the other CB spot. No idea who they will have at safety starting.
I really do hope you're right that we'll have the player and THE COACHING to improve this next year.

Going forward 8-4 may be a pretty good season in new SEC slate. We were in depths not seen before and now 8-4 is a bad season…that’s a good thing. Just because miz caught lightning in a bottle this year doesn’t mean they will next year, any more than it did for us when we lost Hooker.

VN Store

Back