A.D. Danny White; discussion thread

Meh, nobody was coming for Harper. Not sure you understand the difference in reworking a contract to stay and just giving a few bucks for minimum expectations.
If no one was coming for Harper, you wouldn’t give a raise(s) and extra years IF you didn’t think she was the right coach at the time. Either Danny White was wrong then or now. I choose to believe now.

Not sure you understand the difference.

If no one was coming for Harper, you wouldn’t give a raise(s) and extra years IF you didn’t think she was the right coach at the time. Either Danny White was wrong then or now. I choose to believe now.

Sure you would. Reach S16 give a slight bump. Have programs come after your coach who took a team to CWS, you rework and and add a million to keep plus expand the facilities.

Might want to revisit the reason for the Danny White picture and the message behind it.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Sure you would. Reach S16 give a slight bump. Have programs come after your coach who took a team to CWS, you rework and and add a million to keep plus expand the facilities.

Might want to revisit the reason for the Danny White picture and the message behind it.
That’s an easy move. Coaches do well, give them raises/extensions/upgrades. Makes sense. I’m just saying you can’t use that same logic to give DW credit for Vitello when he did the same for Harper.

That’s an easy move. Coaches do well, give them raises/extensions/upgrades. Makes sense. I’m just saying you can’t use that same logic to give DW credit for Vitello when he did the same for Harper.
Not to the tune of what DW got Vitello in staying. Like I said, Kellie got a nice gesture for minimum expectations.

Sorry haters

Last edited:
White made Tony V the 4th highest paid coach in college baseball plus major renovations to LN.
Yep. Currie hired him but White essentially had to rehire him or else he would’ve definitely left for an established baseball job by now. Danny was the one who put in the work to raise the money to both pay TV and fund the reno.

Not even a close comparison. Harper got a raise after making the S16 because of a provision in her contract that she got one if she made the S16 and other incentives. DW only followed the agreed to contract terms for her. Does not necessarily mean he thought she met his expectations. As Majors stated, Vitello's situation was completely different.

Reactions: Majors

More complicated than that. There are lots of LV fans who have been with the team since Pat first started coaching. These fans have put their hearts and wallets into the team over the years, and it’s family, community for them. They wanted family to coach. DW had to act carefully to do his best to not alienate this wonderful fan base.It can’t have been easy to let Kellie go .

More complicated than that. There are lots of LV fans who have been with the team since Pat first started coaching. These fans have put their hearts and wallets into the team over the years, and it’s family, community for them. They wanted family to coach. DW had to act carefully to do his best to not alienate this wonderful fan base.It can’t have been easy to let Kellie go .
he caught more slack about this than most people know

I do not wish to claim any kind of prescience here because I waffled a lot on this point during the season. But, at the start of the season, I predicted that Kellie, was on somewhat thin ice, and if she did at least match the results of the 22-23 season (SEC top 4, conference final and Sweet 16), the door would be opened for a coaching change. She missed the conference final in a way that will live on, in infamy until the Sun implodes - even the post-apocalyptic roach civilizations will have debates over how Kellie snatched a loss from the jaws of victory--and then perhaps, in a death blow, exited the tournament in the round of 32.

For a team that had been middling over the previous seasons, regression is not going to be a tolerable turn of events.

I had been a Kellie supporter but with the passing of time, it is easy enough to see why this decision needed to be made.

Last edited:
I do not wish to claim any kind of prescience here because I waffled a lot on this point during the season. But, at the start of the season, I predicted that Kellie, was on somewhat thin ice, and if she did at least match the results of the 22-23 season (SEC top 4, conference final and Sweet 16), the door would be opened for a coaching change. She missed the conference final in a way that will live on, in infamy until the Sun implodes - even the post-apocalyptic roach civilizations will have debates over how Kellie snatched a loss from the jaws of victory--and the perhaps, in a death blow, existed the tournament in the round of 32.

For a team that had been middling over the previous seasons, regression is not going to be a tolerable turn of events.

I had been a Kellie supporter but with the passing of time, it is easy enough to see why this decision needed to be made.
If others would have somehow warned you years ago. Truly, someone had to let you know.

Kellie snatched a loss from the jaws of victory--and then perhaps, in a death blow, existed the tournament in the round of 32.
We were down 23 at halftime so I don’t think that’s a fair statement. The fact we were winning late in the game was incredible.

Also, do you mean “exited”?

Reactions: VOLSanon
We were down 23 at halftime so I don’t think that’s a fair statement. The fact we were winning late in the game was incredible.

Also, do you mean “exited”?
Yes, exited. And that 23 pt. comeback was epic and woulda, coulda been but things went bad at the very end. I mean you can say it was not all on Kellie. There was likely a missed double dribble that should have given possession back to the LVs and Cardosa hit a 1 in 10 shot but the buck stops with the coach. My uninformed speculation is that Kellie would have weathered that storm if the team had made it back to the S16. No AD fires a coach who has taken their team to 3 straight S16s, particularly with a less than ideal NIL situation but that also did not happen.

I do not wish to claim any kind of prescience here because I waffled a lot on this point during the season. But, at the start of the season, I predicted that Kellie, was on somewhat thin ice, and if she did at least match the results of the 22-23 season (SEC top 4, conference final and Sweet 16), the door would be opened for a coaching change. She missed the conference final in a way that will live on, in infamy until the Sun implodes - even the post-apocalyptic roach civilizations will have debates over how Kellie snatched a loss from the jaws of victory--and then perhaps, in a death blow, exited the tournament in the round of 32.

Upvote salacious entrepreneur… 😉

Reactions: madtownvol

Agreed. I love Kellie. It hurt to see her let go…but it wasn’t working.

I'll take 'middling' near the top of the conference over being 'overwhelmed' in the middle of the pack, which is where I'm afraid we'll wind up next season.
That could happen. CKC is a high risk/high reward hire. The good may be the enemy of the excellent but it is also the enemy of the catastrophic.

But, at this point, the signs for CKC are encouraging. So, I am cautiously optimistic that we may get more reward than "risk'

That could happen. CKC is a high risk/high reward hire. The good may be the enemy of the excellent but it is also the enemy of the catastrophic.

But, at this point, the signs for CKC are encouraging. So, I am cautiously optimistic that we may get more reward than "risk'

I'm a little more than cautiously optimistic but from where we are right now, this is the best option we got.

VN Store

Back