A great read for those who mock the Ivy League

Or wearing the opposite equivalent into the Harvard College Republicans meeting.

Snowflakes exist on both sides.
You mean this?
Comey.jpg

Bringing it back around to where it started:

Can we just get some people to admit that higher education is more complex and diverse a place than they originally gave it credit for, and that what is reported on are generally the more interesting groups on both sides of the political spectrum? That an individual's experience is largely what they make of things, for better or for worse? And that if you go into a situation looking for the good you're likely to find the good and if you go in looking for the bad you're likely to find the bad?

The only truth to this is that’s what people there want to believe.

Bringing it back around to where it started:

Can we just get some people to admit that higher education is more complex and diverse a place than they originally gave it credit for, and that what is reported on are generally the more interesting groups on both sides of the political spectrum? That an individual's experience is largely what they make of things, for better or for worse? And that if you go into a situation looking for the good you're likely to find the good and if you go in looking for the bad you're likely to find the bad?
That totally runs counter to what this guy in the article experienced, however. He came in with a preconceived notion of what "snowflakes" were and has come away with a different opinion.

That totally runs counter to what this guy in the article experienced, however. He came in with a preconceived notion of what "snowflakes" were and has come away with a different opinion.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

There will always be those who mock education, especially higher education. It's as inevitable as the sunrise.

There will always be those who mock education, especially higher education. It's as inevitable as the sunrise.

The devolving of “higher” education has made a mockery of itself. There’s less than a handful of occupations that should require more than 4 years of school and most that time beyond that should be used for internships. Then there’s some that shouldn’t require any but I’m not even sure what occupation a degree in gender studies would be good for to begin with. At some point it becomes a hobby instead of an accomplishment. I guess putting in the time can be used to get a pay raise/advancement in some instances as well although it really isn’t needed or improve job capability. Of course those that can DO and those that can’t “TEACH”.

The devolving of “higher” education has made a mockery of itself. There’s less than a handful of occupations that should require more than 4 years of school and most that time beyond that should be used for internships. Then there’s some that shouldn’t require any but I’m not even sure what occupation a degree in gender studies would be good for to begin with. At some point it becomes a hobby instead of an accomplishment. I guess putting in the time can be used to get a pay raise/advancement in some instances as well although it really isn’t needed or improve job capability. Of course those that can DO and those that can’t “TEACH”.

I both agree and disagree with what you've said here.

Degree creep sucks. I went back for my doctorate because I could never get a sniff from the collegiate ranks without one. I've learned some useful things along the way but experience has always been the most critical and thorough teacher.

I enjoy being a college band director and preparing the next generation of musicians and music educators. I can, and I do. Teaching is how to bring them along the way to doing. That kitschy little aphorism you ended with has always made me roll my eyes no matter where I've seen it. Not knocking you, just the aphorism.

I do believe there are some areas where internships would be more valuable than time spent in a Higher Ed classroom, but as I'm finishing my PhD I've found that it's all about narrowing down specialization. Businesses don't want to shoulder the burden of training that level of specialization, so it is our responsibility at the graduate school level.

And while you and I might not understand or find direct value in a degree in [insert topic here] studies, they are important enough to groups with money that these programs continue. I can almost guarantee you that the RNC has staff with degrees in African American Studies and Gender Studies so they can greater understand their base and tailor the message to data points we can't even begin to fathom.

That he might get some laughs would be appropriate. Of course wearing a MAGA hat into class would in most cases would be an act of provocation. At least by most that wear them
If that’s an act of provocation then you are a worthless person. And I have a strong dislike for the man.

I haven't read anyone's post here condoning physical violence. The professor has a right to ask his students not to wear such hats.
I would submit the professor has rights to jack ****. They don’t own a thing in that classroom besides the clothes on their back and the supplies they brought with them. And if higher education is about pushing your boundaries and understanding others, suppressing free speech doesn’t seem to be conducive to that end. A professor has no more right to make a student remove a MAGA hat than he does to make them take off a BLM or Che Guevara shirt.

They really have every right, and maybe even an obligation, if it's disruptive to the class.

It seems like the perfect opportunity to actually prepare them for the real world as supposed to trying to protect them from things they find offensive

Well that’s what it’s all about. Nothing prepares indoctrinated young adults for the real world like diversity, inclusiveness, freedom of speech, etc is great only to the extent their professor agrees with it.

It seems like the perfect opportunity to actually prepare them for the real world as supposed to trying to protect them from things they find offensive
I said disruptive not offensive. Many would do it to get a reaction ande cause issues (likely for social media cred). If I'm doing stuff like that at my work I'd get removed too. That's real world

Reactions: DinkinFlicka
I said disruptive not offensive. Many would do it to get a reaction ande cause issues (likely for social media cred). If I'm doing stuff like that at my work I'd get removed too. That's real world
It’s only disruptive bc someone finds the hat offensive. If the kid in the MAGA is yelling MAGA and interrupting the lecture then they are the disruptive one. The act of wearing that hat is not disruptive.

Reactions: hog88
It’s only disruptive bc someone finds the hat offensive. If the kid in the MAGA is yelling MAGA and interrupting the lecture then they are the disruptive one. The act of wearing that hat is not disruptive.
Apparently it's disruptive if the Prof's Jimmies are rustled.

Reactions: davethevol

They call that "clout chasing" or "doing it for The 'Gram"...

So do you equate wearing a hat to tearing down civil war monuments?

Not at all. I disrupted plenty of classes growing up without ever being offensive. Simply wearing it means nothing but I highly doubt many stop at that

Not at all. I disrupted plenty of classes growing up without ever being offensive. Simply wearing it means nothing but I highly doubt many stop at that

So you presume as much as the other liberals. I’m sure the disruption in your opinion would be the person simply wearing a hat and not the ones violently triggered by it because it hurts their feelings.

So you presume as much as the other liberals. I’m sure the disruption in your opinion would be the person simply wearing a hat and not the ones violently triggered by it because it hurts their feelings.
I can't presume for liberals since I'm not one. It's obvious you didn't read my post at all before replying since I explained what simply wearing the hat meant imo.

I can't presume for liberals since I'm not one. It's obvious you didn't read my post at all before replying since I explained what simply wearing the hat meant imo.

Lol. Yea you PRESUME the person wearing is all about getting a reaction same as the other liberaltarians. And denial isn’t just a river in Egypt.

VN Store

Back