A great read for those who mock the Ivy League

Real wold jobs have dress codes.

The pansies in here attributing motives to hat wearers is hilarious in as much as they are blind to their bigotry.

Reactions: DC_Vol
Lol. Yea you PRESUME the person wearing is all about getting a reaction same as the other liberaltarians. And denial isn’t just a river in Egypt.
college kids are all about the reaction. It's pretty much what they have done forever

Amazing how small govt, fiscal conservatives have become liberals to the current gop. Guess that had to happen when being taken over by big govt, debt lovers.

college kids are all about the reaction. It's pretty much what they do.

Amazing how small govt, fiscal conservatives have become liberals to the current gop. Guess that had to happen when being taken over by big govt, debt lover.

Or maybe college kids are all about reacting to stupid bs that hurts their feelings or is contrary to their views.

I just don't want hats on in my rehearsal hall. On field is fine, but remove your cover indoors. Didn't realize I was making a political statement.

Reactions: AM64
I find it ironic that college is sold to us as a time to expand your horizons and really liberate your mind. Meanwhile if you wear a piece of clothing the enlightened ones around you assign you about 13 different stereotypes and treat you as such.

Just curious, but why does a hat indoors bother you?
Until about 35-40 years ago, all males removed their hats indoors. Try to find a picture from when I grew up in the 1950's and 60's, that has a man wearing a hat indoors. I still remove my cap if I'm wearing one (usually only when it rains).

Reactions: hog88 and AM64
Until about 35-40 years ago, all males removed their hats indoors. Try to find a picture from when I grew up in the 1950's and 60's, that has a man wearing a hat indoors. I still remove my cap if I'm wearing one (usually only when it rains).
Oh, I'm aware of that. I'm just curious as to why in 2020 it is such a big deal if a person wears a hat indoors or not. Is it just because of tradition or some arbitrarily established etiquette? Or was there a real reason for it?

I just don't want hats on in my rehearsal hall. On field is fine, but remove your cover indoors. Didn't realize I was making a political statement.

But you’re cool if they wear a Kufi or some other religious garb?

Oh, I'm aware of that. I'm just curious as to why in 2020 it is such a big deal if a person wears a hat indoors or not. Is it just because of tradition or some arbitrarily established etiquette? Or was there a real reason for it?
Let me consult Heloise, the arbitor of good taste.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
I think you making a fuss about a hat is more disruptive than the person just sitting in their seats with a hat on.

No, no fuss.

(Edit: I'm also speaking of my rehearsal hall, not my lecture hall. I prefer no hats inside because of how I was raised, but I won't comment on it in my lecture hall so long as the hat doesn't light up and/or play music).

I make eye contact and discreetly motion taking the cover off. Doesn't require talking. If they don't remove their cover, then I politely talk to them after class away from other students.

I've had some students covering bad hair days and bad hair cuts and I've been very understanding of those situations. I've never had a student be a jerk, though. They tend to be respectful and listen if you're respectful and listen as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: RavinDave and AM64
Ok, I read the article.

Seems the dude is very self deprecating and everyone he met was so amazing and just awesome.

His lit professor was amazing.

His peers, while many spoke English as a second language, were amazing and it was obvious to him that his navy cussing was not going to fly....again bring self deprecating.

Glad he fit in. Seems everyone was just so amazing to him and he was happy to have their acceptance.

Yeah, but I also came away with why was he there - as in what does a liberal arts degree really do for anyone. In his case he's retired, and if he wants the experience just because, that's fine. However, if he happened to be one of his young classmates, what career other than teaching or writing would would he be preparing for? It's a great way to be well rounded if that's your goal, but I've always looked at the primary purpose of education as preparation for a productive career. I'm honestly not sure how understanding Homer (as directed by a "professional") really buys you.

Just thought it was a good read. I realize there are misguided protesters at most colleges, especially the Ivy League. The sometimes conservative belief that it isn't a top tier education and that most professors attempt to indoctrinate is ignorant and silly.That you believe you know what I'm thinking is laughable. I get it though. You just know, don't you?

Top tier education in what? As an example, I certainly wouldn't look to an Ivy League school as a starter for a career in engineering ... unless I simply wanted to spend time behind a desk pontificating. Medicine perhaps because there is competition in working with a very select group. Law perhaps, but then you are ... well an expensive lawyer.

Basically, I get that Ivy Leagues tolerate everyone else so that they can be a "finishing school" for kids of their benefactors, so that those kids walk away with the appropriate "title" and in turn become future contributors ... a result of not what you know but who you are and who you know..

Yes, for the most part. It's not particularly nice looking hat. I've always believed wearing something with a political slogan is inappropriate in certain settings.Same goes for left wingers who do the same. It's not like the slogan, "Make America Great Again", resonates with most Americans. Maybe half of those who voted for Trump would wear it.

If someone is of a religion that is itself the government or ruling body in countries across the globe, could that head wear not also be considered inappropriate here because it is a political slogan?

If that’s an act of provocation then you are a worthless person. And I have a strong dislike for the man.

Apparently diversity as practiced on college campuses is a limited thing, and conservatism or any political stance to the right of center among others don't qualify. "Normal" and "grounded" aren't acceptable characteristics among the enlightened.

People were just more formal in years past. I have no idea where the hat/indoor thing came from, but it was thought to be extremely crass, uncouth, and low class to leave it on indoors. I was taught to take my damn hat off, so I got in the habit of taking it off. In pre Vietnam and pre Watergate days, we were taught to respect authority and do what we were told.

Reactions: AM64
It seems like the perfect opportunity to actually prepare them for the real world as supposed to trying to protect them from things they find offensive

I happen to agree with AshG about removing hats in the classroom, but then I'm old enough to have been taught that wearing hats indoors is rude. Had I not gotten that from my parents and grandparents, the Army certainly made it crystal clear.

Reactions: GVF and AshG
People were just more formal in years past. I have no idea where the hat/indoor thing came from, but it was thought to be extremely crass, uncouth, and low class to leave it on indoors. I was taught to take my damn hat off, so I got in the habit of taking it off. In pre Vietnam and pre Watergate days, we were taught to respect authority and do what we were told.
Yep, just what i thought. Its just some arbitrary custom.

And do you really blame people after Vietnam for pushing back on authority?

I happen to agree with AshG about removing hats in the classroom, but then I'm old enough to have been taught that wearing hats indoors is rude. Had I not gotten that from my parents and grandparents, the Army certainly made it crystal clear.
What about MAGA shirts or Hope and change ones?

No, no fuss.

(Edit: I'm also speaking of my rehearsal hall, not my lecture hall. I prefer no hats inside because of how I was raised, but I won't comment on it in my lecture hall so long as the hat doesn't light up and/or play music).

I make eye contact and discreetly motion taking the cover off. Doesn't require talking. If they don't remove their cover, then I politely talk to them after class away from other students.

I've had some students covering bad hair days and bad hair cuts and I've been very understanding of those situations. I've never had a student be a jerk, though. They tend to be respectful and listen if you're respectful and listen as well.

Well, that really doesn't explain "why" it irks you so much. I realize that was how you were raised, but did you ever ask yourself why we do certain things? or are you one of those people that thinks "we've just always done it like that"?

VN Store

Back