A Vandy Fan Opines On Tennessee Game This Year

Basing any future predictions off of last years game is foolishness. Last years game has to be viewed in its context. The whole week leading up to that game, the only thing anyone was focused on was, when is Dooley going to be fired. Had to be an immense distraction for the team.

Vandy should compare its games against UGA and USC against Tennessee's performance against those teams to get some perspective.

Vandy is not and will never be more talented than Tennessee.

Truth.

That's not a very good joke to use at this particular moment in time

Don't try and tell that to anyone on this site. For a team that has had 3 winning seasons in the last 8 years, the arrogance from some members of the UT fanbase is appalling. Does UT have a significant advantage historically in this series? Obviously. Does UT have a higher ceiling and much bigger upside going forward? Sure. But at this moment Vanderbilt has a superior team to UT and it's entirely reasonable to expect they can beat UT both this year and next. Beyond that is impossible to predict.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't try and tell that to anyone on this site. For a team that has had 3 winning seasons in the last 8 years, the arrogance from some members of the UT fanbase is appalling. Does UT have a significant advantage historically in this series? Obviously. Does UT have a higher ceiling and much bigger upside going forward? Sure. But at this moment Vanderbilt has a superior team to UT and it's entirely reasonable to expect they can beat UT both this year and next. Beyond that is impossible to predict.

Team recruiting rankings, previous four years:

2013 (Since changed, and I believe UT ended up on top)
UT - 21
Vandy - 19

UT - 17
Vandy - 29

UT - 13
Vandy - 70

UT - 9
Vandy - 61

Coaching records, head-to-head:

1-0; CBJ over Franklin

Don't conflate "previously poorly coached, checked out team" with "worse team".

Lol even if vandy did have a higher rated class than us they signed 5 more players... And I hope cbj runs the score up on them.

Don't buy into it. Vandy has never recruited a class in the history of their program that is equal to our junior and senior classes, even after the defections to the NFL. Tennessee is still more talented than Vanderbilt hands down. Tennessee should handle Vanderbilt.

Tennessee should beat vandy imo.

However, it was a beat down last year and chest pounding should be expected.

At vandy not being a pushover is cause for celebration

Games like that happen. See UL-UF last year.

Take into account that UT's players quit, the coaching staff that wasted our talent is gone...

The concern is first year in system; not fear whether Vandy is a better program. Vandy/CJF have made their paper tiger name by beating up on untalented programs, and a dysfunctional UT team. They've lost to everyone with a pulse.

Bet that UT will have a pulse next year. As the above stats show, they'll also walk in with a decided talent differential and a coach that has shown he knows how to beat the paper tiger.

Games like that happen. See UL-UF last year.

Take into account that UT's players quit, the coaching staff that wasted our talent is gone...

The concern is first year in system; not fear whether Vandy is a better program. Vandy/CJF have made their paper tiger name by beating up on untalented programs, and a dysfunctional UT team. They've lost to everyone with a pulse.

Bet that UT will have a pulse next year. As the above stats show, they'll also walk in with a decided talent differential and a coach that has shown he knows how to beat the paper tiger.

No need to fear vandy.

My only point was that it's not surprising that last year was a big deal from their point of view

No need to fear vandy.

My only point was that it's not surprising that last year was a big deal from their point of view

I agree. :good!: However, two points:

1. When wins against an opponent are that infrequent, that they're such a big deal, that in itself says something about the state of your program. Slow your roll.
  2. If UL fans started claiming to be the new UF, you'd tell them to gtfo too.
:hi:

I agree. :good!: However, two points:

1. When wins against an opponent are that infrequent, that they're such a big deal, that in itself says something about the state of your program. Slow your roll.
  2. If UL fans started claiming to be the new UF, you'd tell them to gtfo too.
:hi:

Oh, no doubt.

Those people are delusional if they think it will ever get any better than last year

why anyone would ever worry about a vandy fan's opinion is beyond me.

I would "like" this post 100 more times if I could. Some random vandy fan posts garbage on the internet. And of course volnation has a 10 page thread about it..

Embarrassing..

and BTW Mr.Vandy fan... If Franklin wins 8 at vandy this year.. Then this next winter your school will be looking for a new coach. It is delusional to think he will stick around when one of the bigger schools come knocking on his door.

Of course they chest pound about it. But yes, Tennessee should be favored in that game next year, especially if we've won a couple we shouldn't have.

why anyone would ever worry about a vandy fan's opinion is beyond me.

I would "like" this post 100 more times if I could. Some random vandy fan posts garbage on the internet. And of course volnation has a 10 page thread about it..

Embarrassing..

and BTW Mr.Vandy fan... If Franklin wins 8 at vandy this year.. Then this next winter your school will be looking for a new coach. It is delusional to think he will stick around when one of the bigger schools come knocking on his door.

Lulz...

I guess U never looked up where Bobby Johnsons recruiting classes were ranked. Franklin didn't have SEC talent to work with when he arrived! Bobby Johnson recruited A lot of division 2 caliber players hoping to mold them into SEC guys.

In fairness, for you to make that statement, you haven't really reviewed the talent on hand at Vandy either.

If you average the past four years of rival's recruiting numbers, Tennessee is 6th in the SEC. Vandy moved up one whole spot, ahead of Kentucky, to 13th.

I cannot stress this enough, Vandy is making some noise because Franklin IS doing the right things. Put those things in context and if the school wasn't Vanderbilt, no one would notice.

Vandy, since Franklin's arrival, has only beaten 1 team with a winning record (NCSU). Vandy was helped along by playing very weak competition last year. That certainly isn't Vanderbilt's fault, but it also deserves an asterisk.

Both Auburn and UT were at historically low points in their programs history, those are two wins that on any other year would have been a loss.

Sure, one can make a point (and UT fans did with Dooley) that Vandy was close against SCAR, played other teams convincingly, and blew out Kentucky. Remember, of the teams that Vanderbilt beat this year, at least 3 fired their coaches for under performance. How many other teams played so many opponents who were so historically bad that roughly 25% fired their coaches?

It is also a key point to recognize that of the teams from the west, Vanderbilt has missed out on playing any of the ones that matter (Ole Miss still doesn't matter). What is Franklin's record against Bama, LSU, aTm. For that matter, what is Franklin's record against the consistent teams from the east? You know, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina?

The dude is 1-1 against Dooley, and you people act like he is doing something spectacular.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back