Alexis Johnson arrested (merged/updated 4/21)

Been paying any attention to the Ooltewah HS basketball case? Obviously the Sevier County detective doesn't know the law?

"Employed in law enforcement" does not equal "knowing the law".

Not only does he not understand the law, he also gave his unsolicited opinion on those that are being prosecuted, and his statement could taint the jury's verdict. That detective will probably lose his job and could possibly be looking at perjury charges now.

Reactions: 1 person
Only if you made her play twister then physically prohibited her from leaving when she lost.

There is no gray area here. Yes, the groping may have been consensual, but if she wanted to leave, and was physically restrained by a college level defensive end....we have a problem.

Play fighting that is flirtatious

Girls gets injured accidentally and gets pissed

Male tries to block the door and plead his case it was accidentally harm

Seems very grey area to me if that's what happened Which is believable reading the details of the report

Reactions: 4 people

Seems very grey area to me if that's what happened Which is believable reading the details of the report

It in no way surprises me that you hold this type of opinion.

Reactions: 7 people
I don't have that opinion

I have no idea what happened

That version is very possible and a reason a rush to judgement isn't reasonable.

I prefaced what I said with "if". If he physically restrained her in any way to inhibit her from leaving, no matter what led up to that point, we have a problem.....a problem that conveniently coincides with a number of other incidents that have been recently brought to the forefront.

I'm not naive....I know what jock-chasers do. I also know that young athletes are scrutinized much closer than other students. Too many don't realize that, and fail to put the program that has invested so much into them first. We have too many willing to overlook bad behavior for an extra win or two.

I prefaced what I said with "if". If he physically restrained her in any way to inhibit her from leaving, no matter what led up to that point, we have a problem.....a problem that conveniently coincides with a number of other incidents that have been recently brought to the forefront.

I'm not naive....I know what jock-chasers do. I also know that young athletes are scrutinized much closer than other students. Too many don't realize that, and fail to put the program that has invested so much into them first. We have too many willing to overlook bad behavior for an extra win or two.

My apologies as I didn't see the IF in your post

Blocking a door for a short period of time in an argument doesn't make the person a criminal IMO. If so I should be in jail.

If the evidence supported this, it would not have been charged as a felony offense. Simple domestic assault is a misdemeanor. Agg assault is very different. There will be much legal wrangling, and if he has no priors, the charges could be dropped or he could plea to a lesser charge.

That's his issue. UT's issue is how the athletic department and the football program are going to handle assault allegations, as a matter of policy. I think CBJ will handle this as he has in the past.

If the evidence supported this, it would not have been charged as a felony offense. Simple domestic assault is a misdemeanor. Agg assault is very different. There will be much legal wrangling, and if he has no priors, the charges could be dropped or he could plea to a lesser charge.

That's his issue. UT's issue is how the athletic department and the football program are going to handle assault allegations, as a matter of policy.

Wouldn't the physical evidence be enough to arrest him for a felony?

Then sort out the he said she said later.

As for school Policy there is zero chance it should say a kid is to be dismissed permanent upon arrest.

Indefinite suspension and let the legal system sort it out has to be the most severe the policy would demand

"According to arrest records, a female victim told police she was at Johnson’s apartment around 3 a.m. on February 14. She said she had dated and had sexual encounters with him in the past.

The victim said she and Johnson were “play fighting” and things escalated and he tried to choke her, saying she almost passed out. She also said Johnson tried to touch and kiss her, despite her repeated statements that she did not want to have sex.

Eventually, according to the report, the victim says Johnson blocked the bedroom door, keeping her from exiting and threatening physical violence."

Vols football player arrested on aggravated assault, false imprisonment charges | WATE 6 On Your Side

A good rule of thumb for anyone whose advances are turned down is to understand that NO means NO. Having said that, I'd like to know what she thought was going to happen in his apartment at 3AM on Valentine's day. Some accountability on her part may be in order here.

:rock:
GBO!!

We also have too many wanting to kick someone off the team without an investigation. If he is guilty of physically trying to strangle this lady then he needs to be in jail and off the team immediately. If they were just playing around and she went psycho and he stood in her way of trying to leave to try and talk it out....then it is a very grey area. Something like that could happen to anyone on this board.

Reactions: 2 people
We also have too many wanting to kick someone off the team without an investigation. If he is guilty of physically trying to strangle this lady then he needs to be in jail and off the team immediately. If they were just playing around and she went psycho and he stood in her way of trying to leave to try and talk it out....then it is a very grey area. Something like that could happen to anyone on this board.

Yep

100% agree especially the last part

Wouldn't the physical evidence be enough to arrest him?

Then sort out the he said she said later.

As for school Policy there is zero chance it should say a kid is to be dismissed permanent upon arrest.

Indefinite suspension and let the legal system sort it out has the be most severe the policy would demand

"You hit a girl, you don't play for me." -- Steve Spurrier

Many coaches feel this way. Butch seems to be one of them.

Reactions: 2 people
"You hit a girl, you don't play for me." -- Steve Spurrier

Many coaches feel this way. Butch seems to be one of them.

Agreed 100%

"You play fight with a girl and accidentally hurt her"

Is very different

In fact I was "play fighting" with my son a few days ago and accidently cut his leg on the side of a bed. My wife hasn't Spoken to me since but do I belong in the general population at the state pen as a child abuser?

Last edited:
I agree with you...right up to the part where she was physically detained, and kept from leaving. That where it sounds like it really went south.

Poor judgement by all parties can possibly explain the rest, but when the girl wants to leave you cannot stop her, no matter what you want to say or explain.

Put your daughter in that apartment and see if you feel the same way.

A good rule of thumb for anyone whose advances are turned down is to understand that NO means NO. Having said that, I'd like to know what she thought was going to happen in his apartment at 3AM on Valentine's day. Some accountability on her part may be in order here.

:rock:
GBO!!

Football players have a responsibility. You are representing the university 24/7. If that burden is too big, no problem, don't play football. Go to school on your own dime and don't worry about it. Rape and abuse whoever the hell you want, and let the legal system deal with you.

It's pretty simple. Nothing much good happens after 1 a.m. If you are in a situation where you are even awake at 3 a.m., stop look around and ask yourself, "Am i in a potential situation that would compromise myself or tarnish the school i represent?" If you don't have enough gray matter to think like that, fine, stop playing football, go to community college, or dig ditches.

Of course we live in an age where coaches (through handlers) are hiring hookers and strippers to seduce and lure prospects into the fold.

EVEN if he is innocent? Play fighting escalating aggravated assault does not really add up. Women are vindictive creatures. These guys would do better just paying for some strange and keep it moving.

I am pretty much in AJ's camp, was in Von's, definitely in Peyton's, but I have a feeling that the hypersensitivity at the school is not going to bode well for Alexis.

VN Store

Back