Alexis Johnson arrested (merged/updated 4/21)

Well...hes gone.

Sad to say it but winning teams have alot of thugs etc.

Osu, Nebraska, fsu...all had guys who were either charged or convicted of felonies on their championship teams.

And they don't always throw them away forever like Tennessee does. Oklahoma for example with their 5 star running back that played in the playoffs against Clemson. That has always bothered me. I wish we wouldn't do that always.

Really? You are saying that every member of VN (presumably male, but why not both) could find himself/ herself nearly strangling a partner, trying to force him/her to have sex, and then refusing to let him/her leave?

Really? :no:

Do you know that happened or are you only listening to what she stated happened? I was saying that a situation could happen where we are accused of something. It happens between males and females all the time.

Reactions: 3 people
And they don't always throw them away forever like Tennessee does. Oklahoma for example with their 5 star running back that played in the playoffs against Clemson. That has always bothered me. I wish we wouldn't do that always.

I, for one, don't want to build a team and win that way. There's worse things than losing football games.

Maybe I'm in the minority, and it just doesn't matter.

Didn't say there wouldn't be 'PR' fallout from this crap.

I just happen to be of the opinion that to link the terrible behavior of a small percentage of idiots to others they have relationships through the University or the University itself is based in ignorance..

But... That's what people do on a regular basis.. People as a whole are not very reasonable, tend to be judgemental and irrational.. Ample evidence of this on VolNation..

But the PR fallout was my original point....and as each of these idiots are linked to the Tennessee football program every time they and their alleged crimes are mentioned/discussed, it's gonna taint the program.....the program takes an image hit. Again, not sure how that's illogical and ignorant. Guess we agree to disagree.

Reactions: 1 person
I prefaced what I said with "if". If he physically restrained her in any way to inhibit her from leaving, no matter what led up to that point, we have a problem.....a problem that conveniently coincides with a number of other incidents that have been recently brought to the forefront.

I'm not naive....I know what jock-chasers do. I also know that young athletes are scrutinized much closer than other students. Too many don't realize that, and fail to put the program that has invested so much into them first. We have too many willing to overlook bad behavior for an extra win or two.

There is no way evidence for what you just said. Who is over looking anything for a win? You have absolutely no proof for that statement.

Already got all the details I need. He was arrested for assault of a woman. That's stupid. He should be kicked off the team, guilty or innocent.

Well that's the dumbest thing I've read today. He should be punished just because someone alleges something that he didn't actually do? Alright, well, I'm accusing you of stealing my car....your ass is going to jail, cops are on the way.

There is no way evidence for what you just said. Who is over looking anything for a win? You have absolutely no proof for that statement.

Scroll back though, look at how many are instantly ready to condemn the girl. It's not just this incident, but every time something like this happens. The first response is an exclamation about how it effects the football team, what it does to depth, and who can replace him.

I, for one, don't want to build a team and win that way. There's worse things than losing football games.

Maybe I'm in the minority, and it just doesn't matter.

I'm with you on that. There are too many players that aren't up to no good.

Sure this may be made up, and if so, Alexis might learn from it.

Sounds like he did some despicable stuff, I wasn't there, but it don't look good.

CBJ needs to put more of them in the sleep study.

Or just go big brother on them.

If these guys are so stupid they can't stay out of trouble, Butch needs to step up and stick his nose in their business.

They represent UT, this kind of junk is unacceptable.

Alcohol and 3 am....smh

I was witness to a situation that got out of hand in a hurry down in New Orleans. Drunk girls in a hotel dancing(2 girls / 6 guys) and within minutes...one was distraught and claiming one of the guys grabbed her and touched her inappropriately. What actually happened? She stumbled off the bed and he literally helped her to her feet. Luckily for him, others were around the whole time. This girl was very upset and angry, this situation always...always reminded me to be aware of who I was with and what shape we were in.

Now, I've also had a sister that was raped so I have emotions both ways. I try not to crucify the accused, but I never assume the accuser is a liar either. It's a tough subject...especially early on in the investigation.

Scroll back though, look at how many are instantly ready to condemn the girl. It's not just this incident, but every time something like this happens. The first response is an exclamation about how it effects the football team, what it does to depth, and who can replace him.

I've read very little of that in this thread.

Reactions: 2 people
Done what....defending this behavior? Good.

Look....I know this stuff goes on, and I know jock-chasers put these guys in bad spots. But, for 3-5 years these players have to be better than the average student....they hold the reputation of an entire University in their hands. Sorry....it's the price of admission for gridiron glory. They have to be better than this....at the very least behave while we're splashed all over every sports media outlet in the country.

Many are defending the indefensible because of football.

Sounds like these kids need to make a choice:

1. Be a regular college student (or as regular as you can be) and experience regular college social experiences AND play football

or

2. Forget all of that college experience BS and just play damn football since that is what we are paying you for!

To avoid putting themselves in potentially 'bad situations,' players must avoid all women, bars and/or public places where somebody could start trouble with or for them, and really any socializing of any sort that extends beyond 9pm.

Telling college age kids to not act like college age kids is not a reasonable option unless the NCAA allows them to be paid (ie..now a job.) They play football in exchange for a scholly not give up their damn lives.

I completely agree they should always try to make good choices in life. Hell, we should all try that! It is awful easy to sit here and proscribe a monastic existence for UT athletes but good luck making it stick nor should it.

There is something broken at a deeper societal level in how we approach sexual consent; especially on campuses across the US . That is what UT needs to address not stuffing these guys in a cupboard for the 4yrs they play ball for us and then let 'em loose once their eligibility is spent.

TitaninGA made a good point. There are issues with both the accused and, on occasion, the accusers. The way UT in particular appears to handle these issues is broken and must be fixed but stating Peyton sat on somebody's face 20 years ago is not the best way to start the discussion.

My wife has a female friend that every time we go out with her to a concert, party or just honky tonking downtown some type of drama occurs. Guy pinched her butt, guy rubs up against her, she gets into a fight with another woman, etc.......just not worth putting up with her anymore.

Tennessee has been and will continue to be damaged in the court of public opinion every time a media outlet states or writes "former Tennessee offensive lineman Mack Crowder....". That's my only point. And, I said nothing about pedophilia in the post you responded to. Finally, I've said nothing about his actions being a major reflection on the team....I've said, and correctly so IMHO, that it has and will continue to hurt the university's and program's image/reputation, especially in light of the current wide-sweeping title IX investigation. I don't believe for a second that Hart or Butch or any other member of the team or athletic department is responsible for Mack's actions.....only Mack is. But they're certainly all going to be tainted to some degree by it.

I don't disagree, however I don't see sweeping staff changes the way some folks are depicting all this.

I've read very little of that in this thread.

I've seen the depth question today, and some equivocating about "play-fighting"...but I won't lump everyone in with that guys posts. Perhaps it's just my perception, if so I apologize. However, I see the sentiment of at least wanting to blame the female more than I'm comfortable with.

I have a couple of friends that were athletes on the Hill, and they warn about what jock-chasers do. I get it....but knowing that makes it less of an excuse when guys put themselves in these situations.

But the PR fallout was my original point....and as each of these idiots are linked to the Tennessee football program every time they and their alleged crimes are mentioned/discussed, it's gonna taint the program.....the program takes an image hit. Again, not sure how that's illogical and ignorant. Guess we agree to disagree.

It's the inference, made by people, that an institution or its employees are somehow bad because of a few 'bad eggs' that's illogical and ignorant.

It happens everywhere, not just UT and human nature isn't going to magically change in the near future. So what are we to do? Continually piss and moan, oh woh is me, OMG UT is screwed, no championship this year, on and on and on? All you can do is let things play out and move on...

Reactions: 2 people
Sounds like these kids need to make a choice:

1. Be a regular college student (or as regular as you can be) and experience regular college social experiences AND play football

or

2. Forget all of that college experience BS and just play damn football since that is what we are paying you for!

To avoid putting themselves in potentially 'bad situations,' players must avoid all women, bars and/or public places where somebody could start trouble with or for them, and really any socializing of any sort that extends beyond 9pm.

Telling college age kids to not act like college age kids is not a reasonable option unless the NCAA allows them to be paid (ie..now a job.) They play football in exchange for a scholly not give up their damn lives.

I completely agree they should always try to make good choices in life. Hell, we should all try that! It is awful easy to sit here and proscribe a monastic existence for UT athletes but good luck making it stick nor should it.

There is something broken at a deeper societal level in how we approach sexual consent; especially on campuses across the US . That is what UT needs to address not stuffing these guys in a cupboard for the 4yrs they play ball for us and then let 'em loose once their eligibility is spent.

TitaninGA made a good point. There are issues with both the accused and, on occasion, the accusers. The way UT in particular appears to handle these issues is broken and must be fixed but stating Peyton sat on somebody's face 20 years ago is not the best way to start the discussion.

Maybe they need to have mandatory consent forms that both parties sign. It is really getting ridiculous....we were play fighting and he touched my breast. We've "dated" and had sex in the past as well. Maybe he is dumb enough to assault her, maybe she wants in on the lawsuit.

I don't disagree, however I don't see sweeping staff changes the way some folks are depicting all this.

I don't see any football staff changes. No reason to do so. That being said, regarding university administration, I think Chancellor Cheek has done more than enough, prior to this week, to be relieved of his duties.

It's the inference, made by people, that an institution or its employees are somehow bad because of a few 'bad eggs' that's illogical and ignorant.

It happens everywhere, not just UT and human nature isn't going to magically change in the near future. So what are we to do? Continually piss and moan, oh woh is me, OMG UT is screwed, no championship this year, on and on and on? All you can do is let things play out and move on...

I'm not disagreeing with you and I'm not sure why you disagreed with me. Seems to me that we're talking about different things.

I think you and I agree PJ....you just said it better. But because of the magnifying glass they are under, and the effect it has on the program, institution, student body, and even the state they need to be more careful where they put themselves. In the student-athlete/ institution relationship each party gives equally....and they each need to look out for each other.
Then maybe we need to stop coddling these athletes. Might make a difference if they're not treated like celebrities and given everything while they're on campus (or before). Make them really appreciate the tremendous opportunity they've been given

Then maybe we need to stop coddling these athletes. Might make a difference if they're not treated like celebrities and given everything while they're on campus (or before). Make them really appreciate the tremendous opportunity they've been given

Preach brother.....

As a female, being blocked in is terrifying. An argument should always be fair. A man using his size to control an argument in any way is abuse. So, maybe you should be in jail. . .

Because being choked unconscious is so much fun.

Maybe they need to have mandatory consent forms that both parties sign. It is really getting ridiculous....we were play fighting and he touched my breast. We've "dated" and had sex in the past as well. Maybe he is dumb enough to assault her, maybe she wants in on the lawsuit.

Contractual Sexual Agreement

I'll bet CBJ already thought of that but shelved it for fear of the PR fall-out. Oddly enough, that might be where we are heading. Protect both parties against unwanted aggression or post-coital indemnification.

As ridiculous as all of it sounds, it honestly wouldn't surprise me to see something like this be touted as the 'solution.'

As a female, being blocked in is terrifying. An argument should always be fair. A man using his size to control an argument in any way is abuse. So, maybe you should be in jail. . .

Let me start by saying this is in no way a reflection on you. I don't know you personally, and I think you are a good poster on here. Seriously just a question.

If women find being blocked in terrifying, why are they so willing to be the ones doing the blocking then? The men are the same size. Is the woman not in essence then using the fact that she is smaller to her advantage then? Because they know if the man touches her to move her, he will in fact be the one to get in trouble?

This has nothing to do with Alexis Johnson. If he's guilty, he deserves what he gets. Just curious. I would bet there are a lot of men on here who have had this happen to them.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back