All things STOCKS

Bizarre indeed. Bought shares after the split and as it drifted down toward $100. I’m up nicely, but this is just a head scratcher. I’ll see what happens in the morning and likely buy more on the dips. I’m looking 3-5 years out anyway.

I plan on locking in some profits at some point. I don't have a stop loss in currently, but do I have a price I will probably bail out, rather than risk holding a bag. If it continues to go down past that, I might try to catch the knife.

I still feel like we could see a bit of downturn leading up to the election. The economy seems to be being held together by duck tape at the moment. Nobody is hiring. In June, the # houses sold was at a 5 year low and remains low. Americans aren't spending. And inflation is still relatively high.

Reactions: Vol737
Up about 4% this morning from last nights dump. Would not be surprised to see it jump up another 2-3% shortly after opening bell.

Very tempted to catch falling knife and start a DG position this morning.

Just think in 5 years, it will look like a good idea....

Dollar General has held up well despite heavy competition from Walmart and DollarTree. If you need something like laundry detergent it’s a lot easier to park at the front door of DG to run in and out rather than hike 3/4 of a mile to grab it at Walmart.

I liked DollarTree a lot more when everything was $1.00. When they went to $1.25 they added a lot of overpriced $2, $3, $4, and $5 items.

Kroger is actually doing worse than NVDA today. I haven’t searched for news, but it won’t surprise me if it isn’t due to the hostile Biden/Harris administration. Trying to block their merger and/or Harris thinking that their 1% or 2% margins are criminal,

Dollar General has held up well despite heavy competition from Walmart and DollarTree. If you need something like laundry detergent it’s a lot easier to park at the front door of DG to run in and out rather than hike 3/4 of a mile to grab it at Walmart.

I liked DollarTree a lot more when everything was $1.00. When they went to $1.25 they added a lot of overpriced $2, $3, $4, and $5 items.

In 500 shares at 87.26

Reactions: Jax_Vol and Carp
I didn’t realize that DG had such a big drop. I might sell put options.

I also have selling BITX put options on my radar. I think the December $25 put pays about $700/contract ($6.8/$7.8) and the underlying ETP is around $26.44. The premium (and risk) is substantial. If my math is correct, selling 4x Dec $25 contracts, requires $10k in an account in the event that the contracts are assigned, and pays almost $3,000 to put the $10k at risk. Wall Street must be expecting Bitcoin to tank before year end. 4 month commitment for the 12/20/2024 contracts.

Last edited:
I didn’t realize that DG had such a big drop. I might sell put options.

I also have selling BITX put options on my radar. I think the December $25 put pays about $700/contract ($6.8/$7.8) and the underlying ETP is around $26.44. The premium (and risk) is substantial. If my math is correct, selling 4x Dec $25 contracts, requires $10k in an account in the event that the contracts are assigned, and pays almost $3,000 to put the $10k at risk. Wall Street must be expecting Bitcoin to tank before year end. 4 month commitment for the 12/20/2024 contracts.
Could do spreads (bull put spread). Not sure I would on that. I made a good deal on SOFI selling bull put spreads when it was around 6 bucks. I think you’re seeing a lot of volatility bc Sept historically sucks in market and election year with some really dumb policies being thrown around. Seeing a lot of big money like buffet pivot into safer assets

Could do spreads (bull put spread). Not sure I would on that. I made a good deal on SOFI selling bull put spreads when it was around 6 bucks. I think you’re seeing a lot of volatility bc Sept historically sucks in market and election year with some really dumb policies being thrown around. Seeing a lot of big money like buffet pivot into safer assets

I’m a novice at options trading so I keep it simple. I pretty much stick with selling puts as an alternative to setting limit orders to buy shares. Then less often I sell calls instead of setting limit orders to sell shares I’m willing to part with.

It does tie up a lot of investment capital, but I typically lack conviction on what direction the short term next market moves will be. I’m usually selling with strike dates about 2 weeks out. But that 2x levered ETP on BTC (BITX) has me thinking about selling October or December puts. The underlying is around $25, but the 52 week low is around $10 - so I’m taking my time. I do want to go 1%-3% crypto, but coins are still pretty rich despite the pullback.

The optimist in me says this a great time to buy up some more NVDA, as their earnings report was more impressive than we anticipated. The pessimist in me says the market is gonna have a decent sized pull back with a lame duck POTUS and growing economy fears.

A lot of people are kicking themselves for missing the last pull back a few weeks ago. That is going to reel in retail buyers.

September is historically a really bad month.

I’m torn. I’m still thinking about selling put options on BITX - which are getting even more enticing today.

BA keeps on hitting new 52 week lows. But maybe not surprisingly so. Those 2 astronauts stuck on the ISS are on BA, in the new cycle, and will be for several more months.

A lot of people are kicking themselves for missing the last pull back a few weeks ago. That is going to reel in retail buyers.

September is historically a really bad month.

I’m torn. I’m still thinking about selling put options on BITX - which are getting even more enticing today.

BA keeps on hitting new 52 week lows. But maybe not surprisingly so. Those 2 astronauts stuck on the ISS are on BA, in the new cycle, and will be for several more months.
Boeing has sucked for many years. It's hard to find a bottom.
I jumped in too early this time.

Boeing has sucked for many years. It's hard to find a bottom.
I jumped in too early this time.

Flight 370 vanished 10 years ago and the 2x 737 Max crashes were almost 6 years ago. Then the door incident on the 737 occurred early this year.

But when those things started to fade from memory their space craft wigged out.

Defense and space kept BA propped up, but they keep screwing up. Off $100 just this year - from $260 to $160.

There’s been nowhere to hide this week. But the pullback might be setting things up for a really good rally moving into the election. But the market bottom could still be 5-10% away.

Fund managers will be snatching up NVDA shares once the signs of its bottom are strong.

Reactions: tbh
There’s been nowhere to hide this week. But the pullback might be setting things up for a really good rally moving into the election. But the market bottom could still be 5-10% away.

Fund managers will be snatching up NVDA shares once the signs of its bottom are strong.
Being snatched up nicely today. Volume is up a good bit today after a week straight of decline.

BX: owned for about 20 years. Excellent long term hold.
REGN: Was in the hospital near death. Gave me some new drugs. I asked who made them, Regeneron. They know what they are doing. Bought at $300. Have continued to buy up to $1k.
COST: Went to one wtih a friend around 2011. Thought Wow! Bought the stock. Continues to grow.
BRK-B Berkshire Hathaway. They know what they are doing. Only owned for 1-2 years, but excellent results.
Have about 70% of my funds in these 4 stocks. Often wish that was 90%
When I bought I thought I was late to the game on all of them..

I've had my share of losers too. CVS, F, MRNA

Reactions: tbh

VN Store

Back