Atlanta Braves Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best closer situation ever were those couple of years when John Smoltz decided to close and was throwing 90 mph splitters and sliders.

So I wasn't watching at the time and I know Ryu came out way early, but why was that guy facing Upton with the bases loaded?

So I wasn't watching at the time and I know Ryu came out way early, but why was that guy facing Upton with the bases loaded?

Mattingly brought in the lefty to face Heyward. Heyward got in a hole but worked the count back full and walked. Mattingly left him in there.

Not sure really. He gave up a hit to Jblaze and Simmons, he was up 1-2 to Heyward and lost him with a walk. I don't know why he left him in

Oh, i thought it was the same guy in that whole time

Guerrier came in at the top of the inning. He struck out BJ, gave up a bloop hit to Schafer that fell in between three guys, and gave up a liner to third that the third baseman dropped. In other words, he probably should have had a 1-2-3 inning; instead there were two guys on. I sort of think Mattingly outsmarted himself a little by taking that guy out to get a lefty in against Heyward to begin with.

Guerrier came in at the top of the inning. He struck out BJ, gave up a bloop hit to Schafer that fell in between three guys, and gave up a liner to third that the third baseman dropped. In other words, he probably should have had a 1-2-3 inning; instead there were two guys on. I sort of think Mattingly outsmarted himself a little by taking that guy out to get a lefty in against Heyward to begin with.

Against hitters of their caliber (Heyward, Justin Upton, McCann, Freeman type guys) is the righty/lefty matchup really that much different? I know some guys see it better than others, but is too much stock put into those chess matches?

There are some guys in the league so have extreme splits against R/L matchups, and the strategy is effective. Other times it is just cliche.

Juan has a competitor in "how to best pimp a HR". Hinske had some really good ones, JUP is putting on the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back