Baby Boomers U.S. Worst Generation?

GEN X:

Here is a key to the house to get into after school and a box of lawn darts to play with your friends while we are at work. We trust you to stay out of the liquor cabinet.

911 how can we help you?

Uh, my friend has a lawn dart stuck in his head and my other friend drank all my dads jack and keeps asking where all the teepee is for his bunghole. Can you please send someone over?
Hey! I'm Gen X. We know how to have fun, but we never confused genders.

No actually I worked in industry until I was 55 and then started my own business from scratch. It was a bit of a risk but it panned out well. Now I need to figure out a plan of succession without giving up control. Had been hoping my son would get involved, tried to steer him into chemical engineering but he opted for computer science. He has 1 year to go at Rice, and then we’ll see where the chips fall.
Hi, my name's ____ and I've got a chemistry degree (albeit from '74 and which I never really used) and I'm here to....... who am I kidding...... my kids were re-productive more than productive, my grandkids are...... is smurf hair an asset???

Sigh. Good luck, bro.......

GEN X:

Here is a key to the house to get into after school and a box of lawn darts to play with your friends while we are at work. We trust you to stay out of the liquor cabinet.

911 how can we help you?

Uh, my friend has a lawn dart stuck in his head and my other friend drank all my dads jack and keeps asking where all the teepee is for his bunghole. Can you please send someone over?
My friend had lawn darts and they were great.
I had several awesome dart guns and ate candy cigarettes.F434A3A3-0FDA-474C-A679-B77E7CB60528.jpegC37CE5E8-6F3F-4D20-8E23-A28B983E23BE.jpegC37CE5E8-6F3F-4D20-8E23-A28B983E23BE.jpeg

Reactions: AM64 and NEO
Yes actually. They believe their generation has woefully underachieved at that goal.

My Dad, a Marine tried to explain it to me a little bit. He said that many of the boomer men were anti-war/anti-troops in the 60s & 70s.

He believes they feel guilt about that in their older years so thats why they kiss trumps butt so much with his faux patriotism, ie wrapping himself in the flag, sometimes literally. And Trumps "bravado" / "braggadocio" applies to weak boomer men that want to feel better about themselves. It was interesting

I'd go differently in that thinking, but then I tend to do that. I quit UT in my junior year (1967) and enlisted in the Army with thoughts of OCS and then returning to school - didn't work that way. The point is that there was definitely a large subset of the boomers who did not at all agree with the antiwar group. Over the years, I have not made an effort to sort out who's who. However, from what I did know of the antiwar group, I honestly can't see them having changed political stripes and becoming republicans and certainly not Trump supporters. Perhaps I can see those people feeling guilty and waving support to troops bound for places like Iraq, but I can't see them losing their liberal identities and becoming republicans.

I'd go differently in that thinking, but then I tend to do that. I quit UT in my junior year (1967) and enlisted in the Army with thoughts of OCS and then returning to school - didn't work that way. The point is that there was definitely a large subset of the boomers who did not at all agree with the antiwar group. Over the years, I have not made an effort to sort out who's who. However, from what I did know of the antiwar group, I honestly can't see them having changed political stripes and becoming republicans and certainly not Trump supporters. Perhaps I can see those people feeling guilty and waving support to troops bound for places like Iraq, but I can't see them losing their liberal identities and becoming republicans.

But you are in the South though right? We live in the Rust belt where its a simple fact that alot of boomer men became or voted Republican just because of their worship of trump.

I think my Dad was onto something

Hey! I'm Gen X. We know how to have fun, but we never confused genders.
I’m also a proud gen Xer. Never got a lot of attention, just kept our head down and did our job. We also had the greatest music and the greatest movies imo

Reactions: 0nelilreb
How many Gen-Xers feel like they were raised by Bob Ross and Captain Planet more than their own parents?

How many Gen-Xers feel like they were raised by Bob Ross and Captain Planet more than their own parents?

Gen-Xers ( for the most part) have a take it or leave it attitude and pretty much if you don’t effect them or their family will just tell you to do you . I don’t think Bob or Captain Planet are the two that influenced that . Maybe a few on here those shows did . I wasn’t given a key to our house ( we didn’t lock the doors ) I can’t remember a time that I was home by myself and if I ever was , it would have been if I didn’t go to class in high school . We had chores to do and animals to feed , water , move , or something to fix . TV was night time viewing and if I was lucky some on Saturday and Sunday . All of that was still more that what my baby boomer mom and dad had and had to get done in a day . It’s odd how things have changed so drastically. Put a 10 -12 year old kid on a tractor or in a truck then, they are helpers , put them in one now and you are abusing them or being negligent says Karen to the cops . “Progress” .. smh

Last edited:
Gen-Xers ( for the most part) have a take it or leave it attitude and pretty much if you don’t effect them or their family will just tell you to do you . I don’t think Bob or Captain Planet are the two that influenced that . Maybe a few on here those shows did . I wasn’t given a key to our house ( we didn’t lock the doors ) I can’t remember a time that I was home by myself and if I ever was , it would have been if I didn’t go to class in high school . We had chores to do and animals to feed , water , move , or something to fix . TV was night time viewing and if I was lucky some on Saturday and Sunday . All of that was still more that what my baby boomer mom and dad had and had to get done in a day . It’s odd how things have changed so drastically. Put a 10 -12 year old kid on a tractor or in a truck then, they are helpers , put them in one now and you are abusing them or being negligent says Karen to the cops . “Progress” .. smh

Wasn't it a great life? Had something to do outside all the time. Makes me sad for the youth in the generations that followed. Progress, (video games, computers, cell phones, social media, etc.), is great and horrible all at the same time.

Reactions: AM64

What's always puzzled me is how our generation started the helicopter parent phenomena. I was raised similar to you, on a farm and if I wasn't working, at school or playing ball I was gone on my dirt bike only to make it home for dinner. No helmets, no way to contact anyone and the parents had no clue where I was. How did people raised like that raise the bicycle helmet generation?

What's always puzzled me is how our generation started the helicopter parent phenomena. I was raised similar to you, on a farm and if I wasn't working, at school or playing ball I was gone on my dirt bike only to make it home for dinner. No helmets, no way to contact anyone and the parents had no clue where I was. How did people raised like that raise the bicycle helmet generation?

I was honestly thinking about this yesterday reading posts on here .. I don’t have an answer .

Reactions: AM64
Boomers started the Iraq war and decided to stay in Afghanistan for 20 years. Boomers were in charge and responsible for the market crash in '08, many of them played a role in the recession in the 80's under Reagan. Boomers passed NAFTA. Boomers implemted don't ask don't tell, stop and frisk, broken windows policing.

Now answer my question. What good have boomers done for the country?
Went to the moon. Played football when it was a man's game.

Why am I responding to you?

You wanna see this generation lose their minds... become a terrorist and blow up cell towers.

Reactions: Rickyvol77 and AM64
No actually I worked in industry until I was 55 and then started my own business from scratch. It was a bit of a risk but it panned out well. Now I need to figure out a plan of succession without giving up control. Had been hoping my son would get involved, tried to steer him into chemical engineering but he opted for computer science. He has 1 year to go at Rice, and then we’ll see where the chips fall.
computer or Doritos?

Reactions: AM64 and RavinDave
But you are in the South though right? We live in the Rust belt where its a simple fact that alot of boomer men became or voted Republican just because of their worship of trump.

I think my Dad was onto something

You are brainwashed.

A lot of the rust belt voted for Trump because it is a coal, gas, and steel area and the Democrats are trying their damndest to kill that industry.

And yes, I was born in the rust belt and still live in the rust belt. They voted for Trump because of their jobs.

VN Store

Back