Baby Boomers U.S. Worst Generation?

Yep, now young people can't even afford to have kids due to healthcare, housing etc being absolutely through the roof. Thanks Boomers.

Lol what? The cost of housing is down. The cost of food is down. Plenty of young people have kids despite raising them alone.

The notion that people were better off in a previous decade is 100% ignorant

Not at all. Lol just to be clear you really think people in a previous decade were better off? Which decade out of curiosity and we will compare
Yeah. My parents bought a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house in 99 with a big yard and 2 car garage for like 60k. That same house is worth almost 300k today.

Do you live under a rock?

View attachment 535802

You should compare that to average income and then you’ll see what I mean. The thing you’re failing to understand is inflation. So if you’re not adjusting for that, I can see how you could reach the false idea that things are more expensive today.

The truth is, they are not. Because “expensive” is relative to income and income has outpaced food, housing, clothing, etc. That’s why people today can afford to eat out more, live in larger homes, own cars with more capabilities, etc

Yeah. My parents bought a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house in 99 with a big yard and 2 car garage for like 60k. That same house is worth almost 300k today.

So you want to compare the 90s or 2000s to today?

When is the time period that you believe Americans were better of than they were today and I will happily show you otherwise

If you only look at the price it sounds super scary at first. "O no! 310%! how terrible!"

But what has happened to American Wages since 1980? Have they went up by more than that? The answer is yes. The median wage in 1980 was 12K. Today the median wage is 54k. That's 4.5x more (350%). So wages have outpaced inflation. As long as wages outpace inflation, you are better off than you were the year prior and that happens decade over decade in this country. That's why we are able to afford much larger homes than in 1980, why we eat out more than in 1980, live longer, etc. Because we are far wealthier than people who lived in 1980 on average.

1676213020522.png
What's the Median Price per Square Foot in Your City? (2022 Data).

Last edited:
The truth is, they are not. Because “expensive” is relative to income and income has outpaced food, housing, clothing, etc. That’s why people today can afford to eat out more, live in larger homes, own cars with more capabilities, etc
If that were really true, then we would not have as many families needing two incomes to make ends meet. And the more likely reason we eat out more is because there is no one at home cooking because they are in the workforce...

If that were really true, then we would not have as many families needing two incomes to make ends meet. And the more likely reason we eat out more is because there is no one at home cooking because they are in the workforce...

Given the much higher historical youth participation rates in the labor force, a lot of those supposed “1 income families” are more of a myth than a reality.

But what you’re claiming is simply untrue. I’m not comparing a family but one person to one person. The median person today earns more than in any previous decade and has a greater buying power than in any previous decade. Meaning it’s easier for a family to make it on one income today

It’s not that 2 incomes are needed but rather preferred. Mom and dad both work because they’re better off than with only one of them working. Families don’t have to have two incomes and having two working people in a household is increasingly rare given single parent rates.

Last edited:

As far as the cooking thing, cooking at home is obviously cheaper. Median income is 54k. If you did have one person at home cooking, raising kids, a garden, etc like the 1950s your family would still be better off than in 1950

I agree the lack of two parent households is an issue. But despite that Americans still live better today.

Yeah, but we are "wealthier" than ever (and in debt up to our eyes) but hey who gives a sh1t right, your grandkids can pay it off while you take it easy in your retirement community waxing your Buick.

Yeah, but we are "wealthier" than ever (and in debt up to our eyes) but hey who gives a sh1t right, your grandkids can pay it off while you take it easy in your retirement community waxing your Buick.

So we agree there is no decade in which Americans live better than they have now?

Make your argument. When were Americans better off and by what metric

Last edited:
The US economy was the beneficiary of being mostly isolated during two world wars that wrecked the other advanced economies. Then paying the load for world security over the next 70 plus years diminished that advantage. It’s lazy to blame or credit the generations over that time frame. Boomers have been a hard working group if you want to generalize.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
The US economy was the beneficiary of being mostly isolated during two world wars that wrecked the other advanced economies. Then paying the load for world security over the next 70 plus years diminished that advantage. It’s lazy to blame or credit the generations over that time frame. Boomers have been a hard working group if you want to generalize.

And yet Americans are still better off today

Careful, there, bub. Rightists hate facts, they prefer alternative facts, which are basically lies built on a foundation of lies. Careful, now.

We were possibly too hard working. Many younger people are refusing to work those long hours.
"I don't care what you do, I wouldn't want to be like you!" Alan Parsons Project.

VN Store

Back