Bama, Georgia and everyone else.

Vols aren't tier one until they beat Alabama in 3 weeks. It is what it is.
I guess it's the nature of "fandom"* but I'm always amazed how many people are willing to make proclamations about things that aren't in evidence. We're good, really good, but we have no real claim to being better than some of these other teams. The good news? We only have to wait a bit for the ambiguity to give way to actual results. If we're the best we'll have our chance to prove that's the case.

*Not remotely limited to any particular fan base.

Not ready to put TX in the same category as UGA & Bama, they struggled with Miss State (probably the worst team in the SEC this year) until late. They do have 2 good QBs but until they beat both UGA & Bama this year I'm not convinced. The SEC is a gauntlet, they're not in the BIG12 anymore.
Are you dismissing the Texas win at Michigan? Lol, can’t believe I’m pumping Texas…I hate those guys. They are for sure in my Tier 1 for teams I hate.

My take as I watched the game was comparing position players. Would I take that position player over our position player? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Our DL is better than either team and IMO not that close. RB we are better, oerall recieving group we are better. But closer to even overall than we have been in many years. Our team is on par with the elite teams now by position. Comes down to who plays best on gameday.
Nobody has a Ryan Williams

Vols aren't tier one until they beat Alabama in 3 weeks. It is what it is.
Put 4 teams in each Tier and where to you have in Tennessee at this point.
Teams change Tiers weekly vs saying what if.
Tier 1 with 4 teams: AL, GA, TX and TN.
Really simple at this point. Historically is different.

Tennessee, Texas, Army and a 4th team ( I can’t remember) are the only teams in college football that have lead for every second of every game this season. Did you know that.

This entire season we have been trying different things and trying to add layers to our offense.

Nico hasn’t even played in the 4th qtr except one game out of 4….
I say this because his stats have been affected by him not needing to fight our team back into a game.

Bama gave up 400 yards passing last night to a very unimpressive GA receiving corps.
Milroe hasn’t faced a front 7 like ours still.
Yes our defense is better than Georgias. Maybe “maybe” our defense isn’t as talented but it’s better and deeper…

Bama has some athletes on that defense, but will they shut down Nico and company. Again…Carson Beck and not particularly explosive UGA offense put up 500 yards of offense against them in Tuscaloosa.

On a neutral field I take our Vols vs either team by 14 points…
We've never trailed. We were tied at 3 with Oklahoma.

Reactions: LittleVol
What a game.

Georgia wins this game by a larger margin in Athens.

We are now seeing the best at this point in the season of GA and Bama, and I haven’t seen a team that can hang with this.

Either way, same ole same ole.

I think this is what we expected,

Albeit, when you consider what we have seen so far, the margin is smaller.

I expect to see more separation between these two from the rest of the pack as well as between the tier 2 teams to create a 5th tier.

I think TX will either join Bama and Georgia, or join some teams in tier 2 that separate themselves from the rest.

As of now, I think you have to put a lot of teams in tier 2.

Tier 1 = Bama, Georgia

Tier 2 = LSU, SC, KY, Ole Miss, Tennessee, TX

Tier 3 = TA&M, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Florida, Vanderbilt, Missouri

Tier 4 = Miss St, Auburn

Tennessee has a heck of a challenge ahead of itself.. I think we have been a little high on ourselves considering the stats we have put up and the competition we have faced so far.

Tennessee has to get a LOT better. I also think this bye week, while early, came at a very good time.

If we stay healthy and get better… who knows? But as of now, it seems we may be a big step away from beating GA or Alabama.
I’d still put vandy in tier 4, they lost a Georgia State.

I wish folks would stop basing the "tiers" on historical view of the teams which is not appropriate. Right now, there are 4 SEC teams in the top 5. Those are the top SEC teams at this point in the season.

UGA is NOT the UGA team of the past. The BAMA team is not the BAMA team of the past. Same is true for us and Texas.

What a game.

We are now seeing the best at this point in the season of GA and Bama, and I haven’t seen a team that can hang with this.

I expect to see more separation between these two from the rest of the pack as well as between the tier 2 teams to create a 5th tier.

I think TX will either join Bama and Georgia, or join some teams in tier 2 that separate themselves from the rest.

Tier 1 = Bama, Georgia

Tier 4 = Miss St, Auburn

Tennessee has a heck of a challenge ahead of itself.. I think we have been a little high on ourselves considering the stats we have put up and the competition we have faced so far.

Tennessee has to get a LOT better. I also think this bye week, while early, came at a very good time.

If we stay healthy and get better… who knows? But as of now, it seems we may be a big step away from beating GA or Alabama.
Did you watch the game? We can compete with GA. We can stomp Georgia if they have that 1st half performance. Bama looked strong as to be expected. Their offense is coming together and may be even better by the time they come to Knoxville.

Still sticking with this after Coaches poll. A team that is 4th in the nation is a top tier team in the SEC.

4 Tiers = 4 Teams per Tier 2024 Season to date

Tier 1

Alabama, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee

Tier 2

LSU, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Missouri

Tier 3

Texas A&M, Arkansas, South Carolina, Kentucky,

Tier 4

Auburn, Florida, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt

Still sticking with this after Coaches poll. A team that is 4th in the nation is a top tier team in the SEC.

4 Tiers = 4 Teams per Tier 2024 Season to date

Tier 1

Alabama, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee

Tier 2

LSU, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Missouri

Tier 3

Texas A&M, Arkansas, South Carolina, Kentucky,

Tier 4

Auburn, Florida, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt

This is the reality of the season and how we should look at the tiers = not based on last year or the year before etc. With the constant movement of the players in the portals - I think every year we'll see movement every year.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
They aren’t and based on Texas struggling with MS St most of the game, neither are they. Frankly I’m not sure there is a “complete“ team out there this year. All of the top teams have weaknesses.

Truth. This is as wide open as the league has been in a couple of decades. Making declamatory statements and drawing conclusions weekly is ridiculous, especially given the way this season has played out so far. Did anyone see UGa struggling against UK or UK beating Ole Miss, both after being boat raced by SC?

Crazy schiit is going to happen all season, so strap in. Making "tiers" and predicting final records and standings right now is like spitting in the wind.

This is the reality of the season and how we should look at the tiers = not based on last year or the year before etc. With the constant movement of the players in the portals - I think every year we'll see movement every year.
I agree it is week to week end of the year for the year and reset the next.

What a game.

Tier 1 = Bama, Georgia

Tier 4 = Miss St, Auburn

I have to agree with this assessment. What you and our coaches have said about getting better every week is exactly what we must do, as I see it. The team that plays Arkansas must be much better than the team that beat OK. And so on throughout the season with each team we play.

Based on what we’ve seen so far, who among us actually believes that we are superior to either AL or GA?

Reactions: DirtyDawg
Georgia has been exposed in back to back games. Both sides of the ball are no where near as dominant as they've been the last few years.

Now, they probably still win that game if they don't turn it over 5 times, but alabama just scorched the Georgia defense. It comes down to Georgia isn't a good running team, so if Beck isn't balling out, they will struggle to score points. He put up a ton of yards, but also turned it over 4 times.

Bama only has 2 good players on offense. Granted, those two guys are about as good as it gets in college football, but if you can slow down Milroe, then you have a shot. They still don't really pass block very well, but we're going to have to remain gap sound because he can burn any team with his legs.

What a game.

Tier 1 = Bama, Georgia

Tier 4 = Miss St, Auburn

We’ll find out. No reason to say we aren’t elite just because of competition. Our team speed and physicality is tier 1. We’ll find out where the entire team is when they compete against the other tier 1 teams

You think we allow back to back bombs in the final 2 minutes like those two fraudulent teams did tonight? Our defense is better than them.

We're playing like the Alabama and Georgia of old. We are the team with the #1 defense. While these two teams look vulnerable defensively.

Vols will beat them both this year.
Tbf, some of those catches were elite. Defense was in great position. Could have gone either way

I guess it's the nature of "fandom"* but I'm always amazed how many people are willing to make proclamations about things that aren't in evidence. We're good, really good, but we have no real claim to being better than some of these other teams. The good news? We only have to wait a bit for the ambiguity to give way to actual results. If we're the best we'll have our chance to prove that's the case.

*Not remotely limited to any particular fan base.
Well, if you wait until it's clearly evident and proven, then there's no need to say anything at all, us there?

VN Store

Back