Black Coaches (split)

The only thing that keeps minorities down in this country is the victim mentality. There are great people who are minorities that have very well succeeded in our society because they knew that being a victim was a sign of ignorance and weakness. The same can be said of poor caucasians that populate such poor regions such as Appalachia. Most of this German, Irish, and Scotch population came here as indentured servants or share croppers and rose up by the American Dream. And most of them were not brought forward by social programs but values of hard work and desire. Over the last 60 years there is no excuse for anyone carrying the victim mentality with the laws we have in this land. Anyone can be successful if they choose, regardless of race or ethnicity.

There is no greater evidence of this than today UT offered a highly inflated salary to a coach with good qualifications.

Exactly. I highly doubt anyone would be upset if Mike Tomlin was our head coach. I know I wouldn’t. A persons skin color means nothing. If we had an entire staff full of black coaches it would bother me a bit as long as they were good at their jobs.

I am getting so sick of the victim mentality and racial bias BS.

I guess John Chavis wasn't " enough" minority. Or maybe just the wrong shade of minority?

Reactions: AM64
That’s an interesting thought, your last sentence. Does it stand that all people of a certain race do have the same life experience? I have a good friend of a different race than I am. He was raised in upper middle class suburban neighborhoods, parents didn’t divorce, hasn’t had any direct drug experience in his own house. I wasn’t raised with money as my family struggled to pay bills and put food on the table, my parents divorced when I was 2, I dealt with abuse of about any kind you can name, and I’ve seen up close what drugs and alcohol can do to a household. How does race enter the equation in these scenarios? Do either of these experiences identify with a particular race in your opinion?

Sure, race, despite what some are trying to whittle down my argument here, is merely a component, though an important component, which is why I stated someone who understands their life experiences and not simply a person of their same race.

Sure, race, despite what some are trying to whittle down my argument here, is merely a component, though an important component, which is why I stated someone who understands their life experiences and not simply a person of their same race.
Gotcha, so you’re saying someone that shares life experiences, of which race is a component. Makes sense. One thing I’m sure we all can agree on as well is one person doesn’t truly understand what a person goes through unless they’ve walked in their shoes. That goes whether talking about race, gender, jobs, or anything else. Unless you’ve been there you can sympathize but you can’t empathize.

The only thing that keeps minorities down in this country is the victim mentality. There are great people who are minorities that have very well succeeded in our society because they knew that being a victim was a sign of ignorance and weakness. The same can be said of poor caucasians that populate such poor regions such as Appalachia. Most of this German, Irish, and Scotch population came here as indentured servants or share croppers and rose up by the American Dream. And most of them were not brought forward by social programs but values of hard work and desire. Over the last 60 years there is no excuse for anyone carrying the victim mentality with the laws we have in this land. Anyone can be successful if they choose, regardless of race or ethnicity.

There is no greater evidence of this than today UT offered a highly inflated salary to a coach with good qualifications.

So, disparities in wealth and every other measure of life's success between blacks and whites is simply due to the fact minorities are victims? Frankly, how in the hell would you know there aren't barriers to black people? Greater success by a group of people doesn't mean there aren't, magically, any more issues. Your position is incredibly ignorant and demeaning to a far more complex issue than "they should just work harder".

Gotcha, so you’re saying someone that shares life experiences, of which race is a component. Makes sense. One thing I’m sure we all can agree on as well is one person doesn’t truly understand what a person goes through unless they’ve walked in their shoes. That goes whether talking about race, gender, jobs, or anything else. Unless you’ve been there you can sympathize but you can’t empathize.

I would agree with this.

No question that income level is the biggest driver of opportunity. And, to me, that isn’t for a race, a people, or any other group to overcome. That’s for individuals to overcome because it’s hard. It takes a lot of work, sacrifice, and perseverance, and most people in any group, no matter how you group people, aren’t willing to to do what it takes to overcome and even less so when a government will give you a lot of what’s needed to live. It’s like the decision to study or not to study in school. You can not study and pass with a B or C average or study and get all As. The difference is that school grades mean little in the grand scheme of things.

Anybody know how many white people are coaches at HBCUs?

Yes, it's people talking about and advocating giving black people more opportunities which has been the problem. I don't know if it registers in your head how absurd your post sounds, along with the one you wrote right above mine here, but you should reread them until you do.
So the issue appears to be that you’re actually advocating for additional affirmative action, not equal opportunity.

So the issue appears to be that you’re actually advocating for additional affirmative action, not equal opportunity.

Affirmative action is about providing opportunity. That's its entire purpose.

So, disparities in wealth and every other measure of life's success between blacks and whites is simply due to the fact minorities are victims? Frankly, how in the hell would you know there aren't barriers to black people? Greater success by a group of people doesn't mean there aren't, magically, any more issues. Your position is incredibly ignorant and demeaning to a far more complex issue than "they should just work harder".
Thanks for proving my victim theory.

You want to hire a black guy you feel is “qualified”. Every rational person wants to hire the most qualified and doesn’t give a s**t about their skin color.
Want him hired because I think he is well qualified. You and others putthe other bs in it.

So you’re not for equal opportunity? What’s all this s**t about “equality” I keep hearing. The only systematic racism is affirmative action.

Affirmative action are policies designed to produce opportunities for people who have been actually discriminated against through systematic racism, which very much exists.

It’s literally what you said.
I think all he’s saying is that in a sport where 75% of the players are black, having a quality black coach just makes a lot of sense just for the relational and recruiting parts of the job.

Thanks for proving my victim theory.

You don't have a theory, just a lack of knowledge of people's situations other than your own, apparently. Recognizing inequities doesn't equal victim mentality, just a recognition of inequities which exist in society. It doesn't make all black people victims or failures or all white people successful, which is a gross oversimplification of a far more complex issue involving a number of factors including, and beyond, race.

VN Store

Back