Bryce Thompson out - potentially

I read the same (or similar) article, it appears to well researched, by some serious professionals, not those trying to make a political point, but rather, find the facts. I have also noted in places such as Colorado, the crime rate has gone up (big time) after the state decided to allow open pot smoking and sales-now they are into psychedelic drugs (mushrooms) for open sales and use. I'll be interested in the effects on both crime and homelessness, etc. For so many years, pundits have claimed if marijuana we made legal, the crime rates would drop and all would be well with the world, it just "ain't working out" for Colorado. I wonder how California is doing with their medical marijuana thing, I mean how is the crime rate/homeless population/opioid use rate etc.?

This is a very underrated factor in this whole situation. Fulmer and Pruitt are “player” guys. Relational guys. Their first inclination will not be dismissal. If it was he’d already be gone. Right or wrong they are going to seek him coming back.

As true as that might be, don't you think the reported threats to the university will require a psych evaluation and counseling? I just cannot imagine how that kind of talk can get a pass. Even if charges are not filed, responsible parties will surely cover themselves by acting responsibly.

Reactions: Sara Clark
Doubt he’ll be allowed to return. He was already on a short leash with the issues that prevented him from enrolling at USC. He was on zero tolerance based on what I’ve been told over and over. Now it’s just waiting for the process to play out. But I think he’s at a JuCo by the end of the month.

DP is a pretty knowledgeable poster. If this is accurate, it suggests that UT's staff and administration was already taking a chance at working with this young man despite past issues. It's hard to imagine this incident won't be viewed as strike three.

Reactions: illvol
You are correct.
**Edit** not sure "stunt" would be the word to use, but yes cannabis and young folk don't mix
I said stunt because their brains are still forming. I don't know what word would be appropriate. Would a person that does weed a lot as a teen be a fully functional adult? I am sure genetics has something to do with it too. If you genetically predisposed to being a lazy POS, drugs or not, you are a lazy POS. Maybe drugs make it worse? I dunno....i tend not to socialize with people that are not ambitious, drugs or no drugs.

Doesn't pot smoking stunt the brain growth. I have seen studies that show the brain is not fully matured until 20 something. I may be mixing up studies.

I think for us with male DNA, the frontal lobe isn't developed until around age 25. So we make decisions without thinking about consequences for a long while.

I said stunt because their brains are still forming. I don't know what word would be appropriate. Would a person that does weed a lot as a teen be a fully functional adult? I am sure genetics has something to do with it too. If you genetically predisposed to being a lazy POS, drugs or not, you are a lazy POS. Maybe drugs make it worse? I dunno....i tend not to socialize with people that are not ambitious, drugs or no drugs.
This is copied from one study, which is pretty much what you're saying.

A prospective study conducted in 2005 examined neurocognitive performance among 17–21 year olds with history of soft drug exposure in utero compared to prior performance at 9–12 years old. Current heavy cannabis users performed significantly worse on measures of processing speed and memory, controlling for pre-drug performance. Notably, former heavy users (reporting 3 months without regular use) had similar scores to non-marijuana using controls [10]. In regard to higher-order cognitive functioning, Lane and colleagues (2007) found adolescents (ages 14–18) with histories of heavy marijuana use performed worse on perseverative responding and flexible thinking compared to controls with limited histories of use. This same research group also found evidence of reduced motivation among marijuana users compared to controls [11, 12]. In 2007, Harvey and colleagues found adolescent marijuana users (age 13–18; use greater than once per week) performed worse on tests of attention, learning, and memory; furthermore, poorer performance on executive functioning in this sample was related to more days of cannabis use in the past month [13].

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
This mentality is a load of sh## to me. No one has any personal responsibility these days. Hes like 20 years old, not a "child". And guess what? Actions have consequences. Yeah we all made mistakes when younger, and im sure most of us felt the consequences too. This whole "he needs a structured environment" coddle him mindset is weak. People need to grow up, act like a civilized human. Letting this young man keep screaming at women and threatening them and breaking crap without consequence will not make him change his behaviour. If all this craps true he needs to be punished.
ALL actions have consequences. He is a young adult that still needs guidance in life. Some men/women mature quicker than others. Some people do need structured environments, that is why they have rehab centers. Those are structured environments. Is it your argument that a structured environment is for weak people? You know there is an entire profession of people that help people with emotional challenges. I know that you were raised to bottle up your emotions and grab your bootstraps and all. But some people need an actual professional to guide them through the process.

This is copied from one study, which is pretty much what you're saying.

A prospective study conducted in 2005 examined neurocognitive performance among 17–21 year olds with history of soft drug exposure in utero compared to prior performance at 9–12 years old. Current heavy cannabis users performed significantly worse on measures of processing speed and memory, controlling for pre-drug performance. Notably, former heavy users (reporting 3 months without regular use) had similar scores to non-marijuana using controls [10]. In regard to higher-order cognitive functioning, Lane and colleagues (2007) found adolescents (ages 14–18) with histories of heavy marijuana use performed worse on perseverative responding and flexible thinking compared to controls with limited histories of use. This same research group also found evidence of reduced motivation among marijuana users compared to controls [11, 12]. In 2007, Harvey and colleagues found adolescent marijuana users (age 13–18; use greater than once per week) performed worse on tests of attention, learning, and memory; furthermore, poorer performance on executive functioning in this sample was related to more days of cannabis use in the past month [13].
Thank you. That is very informative.

Reactions: Sara Clark
As true as that might be, don't you think the reported threats to the university will require a psych evaluation and counseling? I just cannot imagine how that kind of talk can get a pass. Even if charges are not filed, responsible parties will surely cover themselves by acting responsibly.

If someone said they heard you say you were going to shoot up your workplace should I believe it? He’s going to deny saying it.

I think for us with male DNA, the frontal lobe isn't developed until around age 25. So we make decisions without thinking about consequences for a long while.
Unfortunately, by 25, another organ is fully developed and it often makes decisions without consulting the frontal lobe.

This mentality is a load of sh## to me. No one has any personal responsibility these days. Hes like 20 years old, not a "child". And guess what? Actions have consequences. Yeah we all made mistakes when younger, and im sure most of us felt the consequences too. This whole "he needs a structured environment" coddle him mindset is weak. People need to grow up, act like a civilized human. Letting this young man keep screaming at women and threatening them and breaking crap without consequence will not make him change his behaviour. If all this craps true he needs to be punished.
This kind of mentally creates repeat offenders rather than fixing people. This thought process will die off with the boomer generation thankfully.

I read the same (or similar) article, it appears to well researched, by some serious professionals, not those trying to make a political point, but rather, find the facts. I have also noted in places such as Colorado, the crime rate has gone up (big time) after the state decided to allow open pot smoking and sales-now they are into psychedelic drugs (mushrooms) for open sales and use. I'll be interested in the effects on both crime and homelessness, etc. For so many years, pundits have claimed if marijuana we made legal, the crime rates would drop and all would be well with the world, it just "ain't working out" for Colorado. I wonder how California is doing with their medical marijuana thing, I mean how is the crime rate/homeless population/opioid use rate etc.?

The crime rates associated with marijuana actually dropped in the states that legalized it. It's not like those are isolated events either.
"From this evidence, it is clear that, while legalization does not necessarily eliminate illegal production, distribution and sale of marijuana, it tends to diminish it dramatically. As a result, it relieves the burden placed on courts, law enforcement and prisons, allowing for greater focus on violent crime. It also appears to have reduced use of marijuana by minors."

If you buy into the reefer madness hysteria that marijuana will increase property crime, then you'd be wrong.
"Studies have generally found no increase in property crime around medical marijuana dispensaries. A 2017 study found that crime rates fell significantly in the neighborhood of dispensaries in Denver, Colorado, following the legalization of recreational marijuana (crime in adjacent neighborhoods was not affected)."

On top of that, it also seemed to help with the opioid issue.
"A 2017 study found that the legalization of marijuana for recreational use in Colorado was associated with a significant reduction in the number of deaths from opioids, reversing what had been an upward trend in deaths in the state (a trend that continued in most states where recreational marijuana remains illegal)."

If we're just looking at the facts then it's fairly obvious that marijuana isn't dangerous and certainly shouldn't be a schedule 1 drug along with heroin.
sauce https://reason.org/wp-content/uploads/does-legalizing-marijuana-reduce-crime.pdf

Last edited:
DP is a pretty knowledgeable poster. If this is accurate, it suggests that UT's staff and administration was already taking a chance at working with this young man despite past issues. It's hard to imagine this incident won't be viewed as strike three.

If these latest reports are true, it appears as if he will be at a JUCO next week and at Auburn next year.

The crime rates associated with marijuana actually dropped in the states that legalized it. It's not like those are isolated events either.
"From this evidence, it is clear that, while legalization does not necessarily eliminate illegal production, distribution and sale of marijuana, it tends to diminish it dramatically. As a result, it relieves the burden placed on courts, law enforcement and prisons, allowing for greater focus on violent crime. It also appears to have reduced use of marijuana by minors."

If you buy into the reefer madness hysteria that weed marijuana will increase property crime, then you'd be wrong also.
"Studies have generally found no increase in property crime around medical marijuana dispensaries. A 2017 study found that crime rates fell significantly in the neighborhood of dispensaries in Denver, Colorado, following the legalization of recreational marijuana (crime in adjacent neighborhoods was not affected)."

On top of that, it also seemed to help with the opioid issue.
"A 2017 study found that the legalization of marijuana for recreational use in Colorado was associated with a significant reduction in the number of deaths from opioids, reversing what had been an upward trend in deaths in the state (a trend that continued in most states where recreational marijuana remains illegal)."

sauce https://reason.org/wp-content/uploads/does-legalizing-marijuana-reduce-crime.pdf
Are you sure about that? I saw a study that the crime rate was actually unchanged. Not to argue over apples and oranges. Maybe it could be marijuana related crime. Like I said, I don't know. I say legalize it and tax it. I am of the belief that if people in this day and age do heroin, meth and crack....they were going to do it anyway. I don't view marijauna as a gateway drug.

Always check your sources as this isn't true. Almost every criminal activity type decreased or stayed the same in Colorado since legalization, here's a white paper published by Colorado public safety office (a .gov site).

Colorado Division of Criminal Justice Publishes Report on Impacts of Marijuana Legalization in Colorado

My thoughts on that particularly.
I don't believe for a second that Pruitt and even Fulmer didn't know about his previous situation. And Im sure in much more depth than anyone here or in the media would. Knowing that and having the same opinion that the public and media may have are 2 different things however.

If he was on a "zero tolerance" based on what he did before he got here. There's "zero" reason for him to still be on campus today. They don't need a Criminal conviction to make that decision if that was their initial stance.

Reactions: Behr and butchna
This thread is setting up to be even more of a cluster than the old Solomon thread.

I'm learning some of y'all watched reefer madness way too many times, but nothing about BT.

Are you sure about that? I saw a study that the crime rate was actually unchanged. Not to argue over apples and oranges. Maybe it could be marijuana related crime. Like I said, I don't know. I say legalize it and tax it. I am of the belief that if people in this day and age do heroin, meth and crack....they were going to do it anyway. I don't view marijauna as a gateway drug.

Always check your sources as this isn't true. Almost every criminal activity type decreased or stayed the same in Colorado since legalization, here's a white paper published by Colorado public safety office (a .gov site).

Colorado Division of Criminal Justice Publishes Report on Impacts of Marijuana Legalization in Colorado

You have to be careful with these things. Crime rates have been dropping overall since the 90s. So if you take a section of that and show it over a short period, you can build a case for almost anything causing crime to drop. Statistics class did teach me one thing, they can be manipulated.

I'm not entirely sure either side can accurately determine whether or not marijuana legalization has anything to do with violent crime. It's a causation vs correlation issue. I do think that legalizing it will make it more difficult for minors to buy. Can't speak for everyone, but it was easier for me to get weed in high school than alcohol. I agree we should legalize it and tax it. Money that would be going to fund other illicit things would then be going to roads, schools, etc. The most important thing to me was that it was helping with the opioid epidemic. People are overdosing all over the country.

You have to be careful with these things. Crime rates have been dropping overall since the 90s. So if you take a section of that and show it over a short period, you can build a case for almost anything causing crime to drop. Statistics class did teach me one thing, they can be manipulated.
Regardless crime isn't going up as the poster insinuated.

Reactions: GTBATV
This kind of mentally creates repeat offenders rather than fixing people. This thought process will die off with the boomer generation thankfully.
A professor tell you that ? Keep listening to all the pundits friend .. Come back in 10 years and let me know what else dies with them..Funny how people think they are always smarter than the past generation but yet the world gets worse and will continue til the end

Reactions: Big Al Orange
If someone said they heard you say you were going to shoot up your workplace should I believe it? He’s going to deny saying it.

I have never and would never say something like that. Even as a teenager, I was never near being that reckless with my thinking and speaking. If someone said they heard me say something like that, I would immediately volunteer to take a polygraph and request that the accuser take one, also.

I have never and would never say something like that. Even as a teenager, I was never near being that reckless with my thinking and speaking. If someone said they heard me say something like that, I would immediately volunteer to take a polygraph and request that the accuser take one, also.

The point is it’s not provable at all. I agree if he said it it’s very wrong. But there’s no way you can convict someone on that. There’s no doubt the charges will be dropped and I’ll be very interested to see if the university moves on the word of two kids in the hallway.

Provide a reliable source or you're just blowing a poorly covert political point. I think this is a viable topic for research. And despite the fact I think removing pot prohibition just echoes the alcohol one, including the same outcomes. I don't cotton to the recreational use of pot myself. I also don't cotton to biased unproven claims on either side of it. Alcohol is worse in my view as it actually alters our DNA. Here\s just a few citations:

There's Now "Very Strong Evidence" That Alcohol Can Directly Damage DNA

Alcohol Leaves Its Mark on Young People's DNA

DNA damage and neurotoxicity of chronic alcohol abuse

Last edited:

VN Store

Back