Burning Fossil Fuels Makes the Earth Greener

He loves them the same as he loves liberals. Seriously though. Gay has no bearing on the topic at hand. We are discussing global warming errr climate change errr what ever y'all call it now.

Point is that the man calls "the thought" of global warming stupid only because he does not like it, not because there is "no proof." Ultimately, his religious beliefs are based upon faith, not proof. Scientific hypotheses are not proven; they are ideas based upon observable facts. Global warming is based upon the proven existence of facts called greenhouse gases.

Last edited:
Point is that the man calls people stupid only because he disagrees with them. Ultimately, his religious beliefs are based upon faith, not proof. Scientific hypotheses are not proven; they are ideas based upon observable facts. Global warming is based upon the proven existence of facts called greenhouse gases.

Some places are getting hotter, some places are getting colder.

Have they proved it is man made? No.
Have they proved its irreversible? No.
Should the world continue to treat the environment the way they do? No.

Literally choose any other angle to criticize global warming, but don't use weather.

I normally just lurk here and ponder what I read. I usually find you to be reasonable and you make good points. Even in debates when I disagree with you.

This one made me reread several times and I'm still thinking WTF?

Reactions: 1 person
I normally just lurk here and ponder what I read. I usually find you to be reasonable and you make good points. Even in debates when I disagree with you.

This one made me reread several times and I'm still thinking WTF?

He was bringing up it being cold in May as a reason global warming isn't real. I probably could have worded it better, but people shouldn't bring weather into a discussion when they have no idea what they are talking about.

He was bringing up it being cold in May as a reason global warming isn't real. I probably could have worded it better, but people shouldn't bring weather into a discussion when they have no idea what they are talking about.
Hahahahahahaha

Reactions: 1 person
No but they are not trying to destroy the economy either.

You do not want to manage the problem, so you avoid it by denying that it exists. "I think we are just saying the thought of 'man made' global warming or climate change is stupid." It is not stupid to think about the consequences of greenhouse gases or to recognize that Earth's ice caps are melting. It is stupid by definition of the word...not to think.

This is a very complex and difficult problem, and its consequences are not made better by denying its existence. While I am loathe to grant government broad new powers or to add onerous new burdens onto the economy, I suspect that the consequences of ignoring the problem will be exactly that. So I do not advocate denial, dishonesty, stupidity, and cowardice. If global warming because of greenhouse gas is real, then we need to know and act.

You do not want to manage the problem, so you avoid it by denying that it exists. "I think we are just saying the thought of 'man made' global warming or climate change is stupid." It is not stupid to think about the consequences of greenhouse gases or to recognize that Earth's ice caps are melting. It is stupid by definition of the word...not to think.

This is a very complex and difficult problem, and its consequences are not made better by denying its existence. While I am loathe to grant government broad new powers or to add onerous new burdens onto the economy, I suspect that the consequences of ignoring the problem will be exactly that. So I do not advocate denial, dishonesty, stupidity, and cowardice. If global warming because of greenhouse gas is real, then we need to know and act.

This is a very different post than claiming that "global warming" (climate change) is man-made.

This is a very different post than claiming that "global warming" (climate change) is man-made.

His post claims "we are just saying the thought of 'man made' global warming or climate change is stupid." I am saying that considering the consequences of man made changes in our atmosphere is not stupid at all. It would be stupid to not consider them. Do you know how thin the layer of air around our planet is? 75% is in the troposphere, which is only 32 miles thick. The stratosphere is only about 62 miles high. Do you know how much garbage we've dumped into that thin strip of air?

His post claims "we are just saying the thought of 'man made' global warming or climate change is stupid."

He is right. It is stupid.

I am saying that considering the consequences of man made changes in our atmosphere is not stupid at all. It would be stupid to not consider them.

Very different statement. We should always be conscious of how we are treating the environment around us.

Do you know how thin the layer of air around our planet is? 75% is in the troposphere, which is only 32 miles thick. The stratosphere is only about 62 miles high. Do you know how much garbage we've dumped into that thin strip of air?

Do you realize that the Earth is laughing at your concern?

The Earth can naturally do much more "damage" to the atmosphere in a split-second.

Back to the OP. Increased CO2 in the air does promote plant growth. But what difference does that make if the forests are being cut down? I have seen no argument that a farm consumes more CO2 than a forest. The Earth is losing forested land, rapidly. And here's another thing. Excess CO2 is stored in the world's oceans. Scientists claim that the oceans have reached nearly 100% CO2 saturation.

Let's get something straight. I am not arguing that the research is all in and conclusive. I am saying that there are numerous observations which are very alarming. It is certainly not stupid to think that there is a man made problem.

Back to the OP. Increased CO2 in the air does promote plant growth. But what difference does that make if the forests are being cut down? I have seen no argument that a farm consumes more CO2 than a forest. The Earth is losing forested land, rapidly. And here's another thing. Excess CO2 is stored in the world's oceans. Scientists claim that the oceans have reached nearly 100% CO2 saturation.

Let's get something straight. I am not arguing that the research is all in and conclusive. I am saying that there are numerous observations which are very alarming. It is certainly not stupid to think that there is a man made problem.

I am far more concerned with the chopping of forrest than I am CO2 pumping.

Why is it stupid to think that man made changes in the atmosphere can lead to climate change?

Climate change happens regardless of man. It has for billions of years.

It is absurd to believe "global warming" is caused by man. One can certainly say that man is not helping the situation. Those are two every different statements.

Climate change happens regardless of man. It has for billions of years.

It is absurd to believe "global warming" is caused by man. One can certainly say that man is not helping the situation. Those are two every different statements.

You say that climate change occurs by natural causes, therefore climate change cannot occur by man made causes. That makes no sense. Natural causes do not eliminate man made conditions as a possible cause.

Have you even looked at the data, or have you sought refuge in total ignorance of the facts?

Ummmm. Volcanoes.

How many over time have blown ? The earth is still here

Periods of moderate climate on the Earth are the exception, not the rule. They represent very narrow bands of time. You cannot be taken seriously by just saying "volcanoes" without comparing the type and amount of volcanic matter in the atmosphere to man made matter in the atmosphere... and stating the effects of both. You want this to be simple, but the reality is that it is not simple. It is far from simple. Climatology is in fact... very complex. If simple is the best you can do, then it just won't be good enough. Ignorance is not the answer.

VN Store

Back