Butch angers HS coach in SC

Are you incapable of reading and/or comprehending, or are you just playing dumb? Perhaps you are one of the reasons why Forbes recently rated UT dead last in academics of all SEC schools (yes, even Mississippi State finished ahead of us). No.1, nothing in my post states or implies that "HS grades alone will get you in." No. 2, read the following excerpt from the article which begat this thread (feel free to move your lips while you read if you find that helpful):

Lee graduated early from Dillon last December,
and was lured to Tennessee by running backs
coach Jay Graham, who was hired away by
Florida State shortly after signing day. Lee
finally made his test score recently but
was told he wouldn’t be admitted to Tennessee.

784.gif

Actually it sounds like Butch is not willing to tell a kid he is no longer wanted.

2. If Butch told this kid all he had to do is "make the test score" then Butch should live with his choice.

Thanks. Now, you may wanna run back to your own staff and share your wisdom on why your latest LB with a fitfulla dollas has found it so comforting to switch his commitment. :)

I notice we blame only Lee and the former golden boy Graham..not much to throw Jones' way..this is not all the kid's fault..he listens to and believes the recruiters..try looking at it objectively ,if that's possible here

I think Lee should be blamed for not having his grades and test scores where they needed to be in a timely manner. How do you or anyone else know what the agreement with CBJ and Jabo Lee was anyways? The kid has been all over the place with his comments. Couple that with Tennessee's APR issues and unfortunately UT is not in a position to take a chance on him.

If you guys want to get on your soapbox. Go yell at Jimmy Cheek in the academic department for making it ridiculously hard to get accepted into UT. Hart's getting fixed, we are just not there right now. Unfortunate casualty, nothing more. Besides he still got a full ride scholarship.

If you guys want to get on your soapbox. Go yell at Jimmy Cheek in the academic department for making it ridiculously hard to get accepted into UT.

Then how do you explain the recent Forbes ratings which rated UT academics dead last of all SEC schools? Don't know about you, but I am embarrassed to see UT rated behind Mississippi State in anything, let alone academics. I know, I know, Forbes hates us.... In all honesty, perhaps it is high time that we had some competent academic leadership at this school.

Last edited:
Then how do you explain the recent Forbes ratings which rated UT academics dead last of all SEC schools? Don't know about you, but I am embarrassed to see UT rated behind Mississippi State in anything, let alone academics. I know, I know, Forbes hates us.... In all honesty, perhaps it is high time that we had some competent academic leadership at this school.

I'll explain it by telling you to learn to comprehend what you are reading. Academics is a very generic term. What was the criteria that made up academics in this article? Test scores? Graduation rates?

If you are going to cite an article and dangle terms like 'academics' at least be a little more specific in your argument. Makes you look like a dullard when you run around yelling something as an insult if you can't even explain the insult you are trying to make.

Reactions: 1 person
Any idiot can graduate HS a semester early. Are you sure that the test scores that he couldn't make weren't something like taking the ACT 50 times to get it above a minimum score? I don't know, but I would think that either an SAT or ACT score was what he was trying to bring up to get in.

Yeah, as the article stated, he made the test score that he was told he had to make to get in.

So what I'm getting from this is he needed a certain test score to be admitted. Having recently gone through this whole admissions process, I learned a few things. One, all of your info (grades, scores, etc) had to be in by, if I recall correctly, sometime in March or April. Two, you can retake the ACT or SAT as much as you want to get a shot at more scholarships; however, to be admitted to the university, you needed to have the minimum test score in time for the admissions office to actually process it all. Orientation for this class is already over, August 1st (today) is the day we figure out our roommates and classmates as well as the due date for the required freshman online course FYS100, which puts me in a position to say if he just got the required score, it would seem he's way too late to actually get in. Am I saying the roster management isn't at play at least a little here? Absolutely not. I think it would be naive to think otherwise, but I honestly do think there was an admissions problem that took a significant amount of effort and rearranging to resolve. I may be wrong, but there are my two cents.

So what I'm getting from this is he needed a certain test score to be admitted. Having recently gone through this whole admissions process, I learned a few things. One, all of your info (grades, scores, etc) had to be in by, if I recall correctly, sometime in March or April. Two, you can retake the ACT or SAT as much as you want to get a shot at more scholarships; however, to be admitted to the university, you needed to have the minimum test score in time for the admissions office to actually process it all. Orientation for this class is already over, August 1st (today) is the day we figure out our roommates and classmates as well as the due date for the required freshman online course FYS100, which puts me in a position to say if he just got the required score, it would seem he's way too late to actually get in. Am I saying the roster management isn't at play at least a little here? Absolutely not. I think it would be naive to think otherwise, but I honestly do think there was an admissions problem that took a significant amount of effort and rearranging to resolve. I may be wrong, but there are my two cents.

Shhhhhhh, this sort of logic robs the section that complains about everything their 'righteous anger' on the subject.

Reactions: 3 people
I'll explain it by telling you to learn to comprehend what you are reading. Academics is a very generic term. What was the criteria that made up academics in this article? Test scores? Graduation rates?

If you are going to cite an article and dangle terms like 'academics' at least be a little more specific in your argument. Makes you look like a dullard when you run around yelling something as an insult if you can't even explain the insult you are trying to make.

This was not meant as an insult, simply as recitation of fact. Since you asked; the following are the criteria utilized in the rankings compiled during July, 2013 (please note that the category carrying the greatest weight is "Post-Graduate success"):

To answer these questions, the staff at CCAP gathers data from a variety of sources. They use 12 factors to calculate these rankings, each of which falls into one of five general categories. The weight of each category is noted. The complete methodology is available below.

Student Satisfaction (22.5%)

This is based on student evaluations from RateMyProfessor (15%), the largest site for professor ratings. This snapshot of what students think about their classes is akin to what agencies like Consumers Report or J.D. Powers and Associates do when they provide information on various goods or services. (CCAP does not score the chili-pepper icons, indicating a professor’s “hotness.”)

Whether or not students transfer out is also a telling indicator of student satisfaction. CCAP uses both actual (5%) and predicted (2.5%) freshman-to-sophomore retention rates, as reported by the schools to the Department of Education database (IPEDS).

Post-Graduate Success (37.5%)

Salary of alumni by school is pulled from Payscale.com (15%), the market leader in global online compensation data. But because success isn’t just about money, we reward schools where the Establishment, Influencers and Innovators received their degrees. CCAP has compiled an America’s Leaders List (22.5%). Many appear on various FORBES lists (Power Women, 30 Under 30, CEOs on the Global 2000), plus Nobel and Pulitzer winners, Guggenheim and MacArthur Fellows, those elected to the National Academy of Sciences and winners of an Academy, Emmy, Tony or Grammy.

Student Debt (17.5%)

Student loans may be the biggest economic fail story of the past decade. Students and their families are borrowing more to cover rapidly rising tuition. Over 38 million Americans have outstanding student loan debt totaling nearly $1 trillion in 2013; outstanding debt 10 years ago totaled $250 million, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Between 2005 and 2012 the number of borrowers increased 66%, from $23.3 million to $38.8 million. And the average balance increased 49% in the same time period, from $16,651 to $24,803.

This list looks at three components of student debt: average federal student loan debt load (10%), student loan default rates (5%) and predicted vs. actual percent of students taking federal loans (2.5%). The metrics get to the heart of the relative affordability of attending a particular school as well as the ability of its alumni to pay back student debt.

Graduation Rate (11.25%)

There are many valid reasons why students take an additional year (or two) to graduate. Universities such as Northeastern require time spent on “co-ops,” or extracurricular learning. Individual students may take time off to for work, service or travel.

Our concern, though, is a strict four-year graduation rate, which can save students and their families tens of thousands. CCAP evaluates how many students actually finish their degrees in four years, considering both the actual graduation rate (8.75%) and the actual vs. predicted rate (2.5%).

Nationally Competitive Awards (11.25%)This category rewards schools whose students win prestigious scholarships and fellowships like the Rhodes, the National Science Foundation and the Fulbright (7.5%) or go on to earn a Ph.D.(3.75%).

This is a non-issue. Jabo didn't do what he needed to do in time. No program waits indefinitely.

Sounds like Jabo handled this with more grace and dignity than his HS coach. Hope all goes well for Jabo.

Student Satisfaction (22.5%)

This is based on student evaluations from RateMyProfessor (15%), the largest site for professor ratings. This snapshot of what students think about their classes is akin to what agencies like Consumers Report or J.D. Powers and Associates do when they provide information on various goods or services. (CCAP does not score the chili-pepper icons, indicating a professor’s “hotness.”)

Post-Graduate Success (37.5%)

Salary of alumni by school is pulled from Payscale.com (15%), the market leader in global online compensation data. But because success isn’t just about money, we reward schools where the Establishment, Influencers and Innovators received their degrees. CCAP has compiled an America’s Leaders List (22.5%). Many appear on various FORBES lists (Power Women, 30 Under 30, CEOs on the Global 2000), plus Nobel and Pulitzer winners, Guggenheim and MacArthur Fellows, those elected to the National Academy of Sciences and winners of an Academy, Emmy, Tony or Grammy .

I laughed.

I would laugh, if I was not busy crying that even Miss. State beats us in categories such as this. Football has been hard enough the last few years, but at least we were never ranked LAST in the conference. Change needs to come.

I wouldn't cry over make believe competitions. Would also be interesting to see the compilation of data used to determine post graduate 'success'. Other than this and graduation rate the rest are garbage additions to the made up formula.

As you know, we are not in good standing with our academics lately. We can not afford to have another high risk athlete on the team. Remember, according to the various news agencies, we are in danger of not being eligible for a bowl game in 2015, if we don't get in better standing academically.

Also, Jabo had an ACL injury! Another factor that would make him a risk.

Also, Jay Graham was interested in him before Paulk became interested in U.T.

So, (1) He is an academic risk (2) He is coming off of an ACL injury (3) The current staff over recruited him by getting Paulk...

So, it is a no brainer that he not go to U.T....
That's all beside the point; he signed a letter of intent after being offered by UT. It's a cut throat business.

I wouldn't cry over make believe competitions. Would also be interesting to see the compilation of data used to determine post graduate 'success'. Other than this and graduation rate the rest are garbage additions to the made up formula.

We can pick at the study all we want. The problem is that these ratings are published by a reputable national magazine (along with coverage in the national media when it comes out each year) and are considered by millions. You may disagree, but the people who compile this information have put a lot more time and effort into this study than you or I have. Maybe they all secretly love Mississippi State and all of the other schools that they rank ahead of us and/or are secretly jealous of/hate UT, but the truth is that their criteria is superior to us saying that "well, I just know that UT is better than them there schools just because it is and has always been."

I don't know whether the conclusions of this study are empirically "right", but the problem is that it doesn't really matter because perception and reputation is very important when it comes to the value of a college education. If you are happy with these results, that is fine, but I for one am very disappointed, especially when all we hear from UT is how hard they are working to improve the academics on the hill. Turns out that even Dooley was outperforming the administration over the past several years.

VN Store

Back