BUTCH JONES said: This is unacceptable when you play football at the University of TN

I was VERY surprised he was so conservative. Did he go into the game thinking "Oregon has so much talent we can't win, especially on the road. I'm going to treat this like a normal game and save all my tricks for Florida."? I mean, I'm not sure how I feel about that if true.

If Butch is cunning and disciplined enough (I believe he is) to have set a benchmark for this type of plan(go conservative when hope is seemingly lost), then he may just prove to be a genius.

Reactions: 1 person
If Butch is cunning and disciplined enough (I believe he is) to have set a benchmark for this type of plan(go conservative when hope is seemingly lost), then he may just prove to be a genius.

I had no problem with the vanilla play calling in the second half. Figured you might as well try and get confidence for the run game.

I was VERY surprised he was so conservative. Did he go into the game thinking "Oregon has so much talent we can't win, especially on the road. I'm going to treat this like a normal game and save all my tricks for Florida."? I mean, I'm not sure how I feel about that if true.

Is it possible he went into this game thinking "I can't believe I don't have any more talent on my roster than this. I hope nobody gets killed"

To all the folks who keep using Saban's first 7-6 season as proof of something... Bama was 6-7 the year before. He improved the record in spite of the discipline issues he had to deal with.

I had no problem with the vanilla play calling in the second half. Figured you might as well try and get confidence for the run game.

We've all heard it, "the team that wins in the running game has won this game ___ out of the last ___ games." Florida is that game.

I like Bajakian and think he'll do fine here.

Jancek, I understand what you are saying.

I was curious about Bajakian before this game as I did not know what to expect (already pretty much knew Jancek would probably suck based on remembering when he coached against us). Was somewhat concerned about us switching to spread on offense but wanted to hope that this could work (it works for so many other college teams so perhaps it could for us as well). For this reason I would say that Bajakian is the biggest disappointment to me after this game. Players ran his offense/plays and if nothing was working than either his game plan was very poor or the players did not perform (again he is responsible to get them ready to play).

To all the folks who keep using Saban's first 7-6 season as proof of something... Bama was 6-7 the year before. He improved the record in spite of the discipline issues he had to deal with.

All anyone is saying to you, football guru, is what's to say Butch wont? This is the third game of the year, in a new system. Yes, a new system AND an undermanned team - under talented depth. Give it time, Guru.

I completely agree with this. The analysts kept disagreeing with Butch's decision not to go for it on 4th down, regardless of where on the field we were. The truth of the matter is Oregon can score quickly from anywhere on the field. Do you want to further escalate that process by giving them a short field to work with? I think not.

From a comparative perspective, I also would say that, whether the offensive scheme is power-run based, pass-happy or balanced, Oregon, right now, executes their offense as well or better than anyone I have watched since the Oklahoma wishbone teams of old. For what little it may be worth, that opinion covers 46 years of closely observing the sport.

Is it possible he went into this game thinking "I can't believe I don't have any more talent on my roster than this. I hope nobody gets killed"

I doubt that but if that's indeed what he thought he miscalculated. His credibility (or at least credibility of his OC and DC) may have gotten killed (or at least seriously wounded).

Anomalies do not create the "rule". Name another coach that took over a down program, did not make at least a minor improvement in wins, then went on to greatness.

You may find one... but you will have to look hard because there aren't many of them.

BTW, I already explained the deal Saban had coming into Bama... one with your extraordinary football knowledge compared to mine should have remembered.

Jim Harbaugh's first three years:

4-8
5-7
7-6

Stanford is a collegiate pheonix. Their ashes were not even warm anymore.

Our play calling was vanilla all day long and when we did have a decent call Worley choked on the throw. It's hard to believe he can make a perfect pass like the TD to Croom and then be so off target the rest of the game.

Reactions: 2 people
Our play calling was vanilla all day long and when we did have a decent call Worley choked on the throw. It's hard to believe he can make a perfect pass like the TD to Croom and then be so off target the rest of the game.

In case you havent noticed our entire offense is vanilla. No QB that handle more than one page of the playbook. Only experienced group is the O-line but they are grossly overrated cause of their size. We have a pro-style QB running a spread. Honestly though I dont think Worley would be good as Bamas QB either.

Or he knew it was going to be a hard battle and could have ended up with more players hurt. Players he will need on the coming weeks. Lets face it, if Butch didn't know we were going to lose I have to question his entire purpose on the field. But if he was intentionally playing conservative in order to protect our players for the in conference games? That's pretty smart.

Nobody looks for the obviously answers anymore

Or he knew it was going to be a hard battle and could have ended up with more players hurt. Players he will need on the coming weeks. Lets face it, if Butch didn't know we were going to lose I have to question his entire purpose on the field. But if he was intentionally playing conservative in order to protect our players for the in conference games? That's pretty smart.

Nobody looks for the obviously answers anymore

More obvious answer to me is that CBJ would/should not want to get embarrassed on national tv as that will hurt recruiting (long term that should be his top priority). So even if he knew we were going to lose coaches should still have had a much better game plan - there had to be a way to not look this horrible on both offense and defense (even with our current lack of talent/depth).

UT needs to stop scheduling top 5 type teams in out of conference games. play creampuffs like florida does to boost their record

Maybe YOU need to get off YOUR high horse and actually read what I have written. I SPECIFICALLY said this was NOT a conclusion but an indication. It is a game that suggests he is NOT the right coach to win championships at UT. He got blown out worse than UVA statistically and almost as bad as Nicholl's State.

Yes I am judging. This is a weight on the side of the balance that says he's not the right coach. He has 3 years to overcome it in all likelihood... but the job he did today just didn't scream "SEC championship coach". He undercoached his talent and embarrassed the program.

The same "INDICATION Nick Saban had in his first season at Bama?....when he lost to a directional Louisiana school?...I think you're just throwing things around in your spank dungeon...with no real conviction...going to put you on my short list of posters...that include your buddy and fellow Dooley apologist, Oskie, who I don't put on ignore....But I ignore...don't trash that tv...it was a gift:jpshakehead:

Reactions: 2 people
In case you havent noticed our entire offense is vanilla. No QB that handle more than one page of the playbook. Only experienced group is the O-line but they are grossly overrated cause of their size. We have a pro-style QB running a spread. Honestly though I dont think Worley would be good as Bamas QB either.

That's what I said so I agree completely. Spread offense aside, when Worley had an open guy he still usually missed him. Pro-style won't fix that.

The only positive I can give Worley is that he is throwing the ball to a bunch of true and redshirt freshman that definitely aren't helping him out very much at this point. Denarius Moore and Gerald Jones helped make Bray look a lot better than he really was when he was starting his first games at UT. Worley doesn't have anyone anywhere close to those 2 guys to help bail him out.

More obvious answer to me is that CBJ would/should not want to get embarrassed on national tv as that will hurt recruiting (long term that should be his top priority). So even if he knew we were going to lose coaches should still have had a much better game plan - there had to be a way to not look this horrible on both offense and defense (even with our current lack of talent/depth).

Oh I have no doubt the play calling could have/should have been different. However, in order to keep players healthy for games in our SEC schedule, I could see them holding back.

It just seemed odd to me the defense pretty much collapsed in the second quarter. We were rocking pretty good in the first despite the score, but the remainder of the game just got outperformed. Didn't appear to be any major adjustments made at halftime, which I also found strange. Could have been CBJ knew the game was out of hand and was doing enough to preserve his 1s and 2s to get out next week versus Florida.

Coulda, maybe and all that. Just an alternate explanation for the seemingly lack of coaching in the second half.

How many plays do we have in our playbook 5? It seems like we run the same few plays over and over.

The sad thing is that because those 5 plays were enough to win against most of Central Michigan and Cincinnati competition we wanted to believe it will somehow work against the big boys.

I figured we would lose, hoped we would keep it close. Facts are we just gotta get some more talented players here, and we will I believe. This team is playing much better than last year on defense. Offensively we just don't have much experience at the QB and WR position. Can't go 3 & out against an up tempo team like Oregon and expect our defense to hold up....

VN Store

Back