BUTCH JONES said: This is unacceptable when you play football at the University of TN

LOL. Saban's loss to Louisiana-Monroe in his first year didn't scream "SEC Championship coach." But he turned out all right. Just comical. I should end the night on that note.

And yes, I know that Saban was successful before that. Jones has been as well.

This. That is all.

Yes it was the number 2 team in the country but when at tn did it become acceptable to accept a lost this bad n say it wasn't the head coach contributing to the problem... this should make vols fans livid n demanding that hart n company better turn it around or we will burn the hill down...

It is never acceptable to hire anyone at tn n get blown out.. never.. n so many fans saying its OK n what did u expect.... tn should never be a 28 pt dog n then let a team beat that spread is crazy..

The next 6 weeks will set the tone for Jones.. if this continues for the meat of the sec.. BS play calling no adjustments off or def he is toast at tn.. all support will be lost... bottom line..

The main thing I saw from today's game was Justin Worley is too indecisive when passing;too ..lousy with his throws(three behind receivers,one short on a "wide" open receiver close to Oregon's goal).Peterman showed no delay in his decisions to throw or short hopping the passes.
I hope serious thought is given to Nathan starting against Florida.

Reactions: 1 person
And saying this is an indication is still asinine. Did Coach Jones cost UT this game?
Did I say he did?
Was there anything Coach Jones could have done gameplan wise to put UT in position to win?
Was there anything he could have done for it to still be a game at the end of the 1st qtr? YES. Was there anything that he could have done to make it respectable. ABSOLUTELY.
Trying to judge a coach game three into his career is a dumb way to evaluate coaches.
And continuing to ignore the fact that I have not made a final judgment based on one game or three is a dumb and argumentative way of answering a post.

And he did not embarrass the program. It was frustrating to watch, but his team didn't quit.
And you think that makes it better on him? That makes it even more apparent that he coached poorly.

Urban Meyer sure didn't look like an SEC championship coach when he got beat by Mike Shula against a lower ranked team by 28 points in year one.

Nick Saban sure didn't look like an SEC championship coach in his first year when they lost to UAB at home in year one.

Les Miles sure didn't look like an SEC championship coach when he blew a 21 point halftime lead at home to Rick Clausen in year one.

Mark Richt sure didn't look like an SEC championship coach when they only scored nine points against South Carolina at home in year one.

Did I say he did? Was there anything he could have done for it to still be a game at the end of the 1st qtr? YES. Was there anything that he could have done to make it respectable. ABSOLUTELY. And continuing to ignore the fact that I have not made a final judgment based on one game or three is a dumb and argumentative way of answering a post.

And you think that makes it better on him? That makes it even more apparent that he coached poorly.

Oh, so instead of losing control in the early 2nd quarter, we could have lost control late 2nd quarter. That sure proves the mettle of a coach.

And we aren't mocking you for making a final judgement. We are pointing out the fact that making any kind of judgement on Coach Jones (which is what you have done, so don't even try and hide that fact) for this game as a barometer of an SEC coach is silly.

Where was this attitude after Dooley's game against Oregon in 2010? It's not like he had a good gameplan either.

This^^^^^^

People need to realize that we are not the TN of old. We can't expect to see a competitive football team. We shouldn't expect to be in the ballgame at the end of the first qtr. We need to realize that 6 wins is OK and nothing to be ashamed of.

Six wins is never OK n should never make ut fans happy.. if jones is a six win coach then what make him better than dools?? His recruiting class will not stay together..

He will get his chance but at some point he has to show he belongs n today this staff did not show one single thing that said they belong...

Maybe YOU need to get off YOUR high horse and actually read what I have written. I SPECIFICALLY said this was NOT a conclusion but an indication. It is a game that suggests he is NOT the right coach to win championships at UT. He got blown out worse than UVA statistically and almost as bad as Nicholl's State.

Yes I am judging. This is a weight on the side of the balance that says he's not the right coach. He has 3 years to overcome it in all likelihood... but the job he did today just didn't scream "SEC championship coach". He undercoached his talent and embarrassed the program.

You seriously need to sober up before you post on this thread...everyone is taking everything you say and practically laughing about it. I only hope when you come to your senses you will laugh at your own foolishness

Six wins is never OK n should never make ut fans happy.. if jones is a six win coach then what make him better than dools?? His recruiting class will not stay together..

He will get his chance but at some point he has to show he belongs n today this staff did not show one single thing that said they belong...

I appreciate your physic abilities. Didn't seem to hurt Hugh Freeze.

LOL. Saban's loss to Louisiana-Monroe in his first year didn't scream "SEC Championship coach." But he turned out all right. Just comical. I should end the night on that note.

And yes, I know that Saban was successful before that. Jones has been as well.

Do you realize how stupid this post is?

Saban had already won a national championship at an SEC school before taking over at Bama. He had nothing to prove. He simply had a program with discipline problems everywhere that he had to purge... much like Kiffin did following Fulmer. They weren't tremendously talented but the bigger issues were buy in and discipline.

No one said this was an SEC top tier roster. But it has strengths and no significant discipline issues. Jones himself has said they have bought in better than either of his other new teams.

Calibration is required.

Win or lose, the play calling was terrible, with nothing to lose in the game today, Butch needed to grow a pair and gamble, punting the ball back to Oregon was admitting defeat, without taking any chances. I hope Butch is the man for the job, but it may be a couple of seasons before we really know if he can resurrect the ill-fated Vols. In over 40+ years of following UT, I can't remember a Vol squad so devoid of talent.

You seriously need to sober up before you post on this thread...everyone is taking everything you say and practically laughing about it. I only hope when you come to your senses you will laugh at your own foolishness

Yes. we are laughing. And no, he will not.

Reactions: 2 people
he better find a better OC and DC , I don't know what kind of Off. they are suppose to be running but it isn't working and as for DC , I thought Sal was out their calling the Def.

You're an idiot if you compare Sal's defense who got spanked by Mizzu,Vanderbilt and freaking Troy to the defense we saw against #2 Oregon. You clearly don't know anything about football.

Maybe YOU need to get off YOUR high horse and actually read what I have written. I SPECIFICALLY said this was NOT a conclusion but an indication. It is a game that suggests he is NOT the right coach to win championships at UT. He got blown out worse than UVA statistically and almost as bad as Nicholl's State.

Yes I am judging. This is a weight on the side of the balance that says he's not the right coach. He has 3 years to overcome it in all likelihood... but the job he did today just didn't scream "SEC championship coach". He undercoached his talent and embarrassed the program.

Good grief - you have been ready to throw him under the bus since before the season started with your demand for at least 7 wins. This program has a bunch of kids that don't know how to win. It will be a couple of years before things improve. Maybe we should hire you as coach since you obviously know everything there is to know about football.

he better find a better OC and DC , I don't know what kind of Off. they are suppose to be running but it isn't working and as for DC , I thought Sal was out their calling the Def.

We played if not the highest score offense in the nation tonight...did we really expect to win ? I expected the blow out...we are too thin on defense and slow compared to them...we have no play makers on either side of the ball...

BUTCH JONES: This is unacceptable when you play football at the University of Tennessee.

: We need to regroup. It's a very, very long season. We're going to find out our competitive spirit.

Our fan showing was outstanding. This will not be tolerated. We can NEVER accept this performance.

This football team is prideful. It's all in the week of prep. Florida isn't going to feel sorry for us. We have to get better.

THIS IS A QUOTE FROM BUTCH JONES AFTER THE GAME>

was he talking about the coaching or the play on the field.

I say coaching

I am so tired of NEGAVOLS popping up after we lost a game we were supposed to...It's just one loss to a VERY talented team. Butch needs to get his players into the program, and then the fun will begin....calm down, and get ready for Florida

Coach speak is coach speak, a bunch of words are a bunch of words.....you can tell much more about a coach by the product he puts on the field and how they play. I know it's too early to judge Butch, but we'll have a better idea at the end of his 2nd season.

Dools was a 5 win coach.

Good grief - you have been ready to throw him under the bus since before the season started with your demand for at least 7 wins. This program has a bunch of kids that don't know how to win. It will be a couple of years before things improve. Maybe we should hire you as coach since you obviously know everything there is to know about football.

Isn't that the truth, CBJ so far has a great class coming in next year...which means another year of learning...UT will be back but for 2-4 years...

I don't drink.

And I am not afraid of being laughed at by those who don't like being confronted with things they don't want to hear.

Foolishness? I guess denying that Jones coached poorly today makes you "wise"?

I am not a negative person by nature. I am a hopeful person. I want to see reasons to hope Jones will bring UT back. Yes I have heard all the bluster that you all have....

I saw a nice job last Saturday against a team that was supposed to challenge UT. I saw a poor job today against a team that UT should have at least competed with for a little while. Every game matters. Both of those matter. Both are a reflection on the coach.

So give him time and stop complaining,

I don't drink.

And I am not afraid of being laughed at by those who don't like being confronted with things they don't want to hear.

Foolishness? I guess denying that Jones coached poorly today makes you "wise"?

I am not a negative person by nature. I am a hopeful person. I want to see reasons to hope Jones will bring UT back. Yes I have heard all the bluster that you all have....

I saw a nice job last Saturday against a team that was supposed to challenge UT. I saw a poor job today against a team that UT should have at least competed with for a little while. Every game matters. Both of those matter. Both are a reflection on the coach.

Have you not seen oregon play a game in the last 3-4 years...not many teams can keep up...

Urban Meyer sure didn't look like an SEC championship coach when he got beat by Mike Shula against a lower ranked team by 28 points in year one.

Nick Saban sure didn't look like an SEC championship coach in his first year when they lost to UAB at home in year one.

Les Miles sure didn't look like an SEC championship coach when he blew a 21 point halftime lead at home to Rick Clausen in year one.

Mark Richt sure didn't look like an SEC championship coach when they only scored nine points against South Carolina at home in year one.

Meyer, Richt, Saban, and Miles did not hire bearcat assistant coaching staffs to compete in the SEC. That is the huge difference. I was genuinely curious what kind of game plan this staff would come up with (they had the whole summer), but even in my worst dreams I could not envision this type of impotence (they literally laid down and did not even put up a fight - did not take any chances, not even throw interceptions while trying to do something, or get mad and hit someone while getting embarrassed).

VN Store

Back