Can We Hold a Fair Election Using Mail-in Ballots This Fall?

Can We Hold a Fair Election Using Mail-in Ballots This Fall?

• Yes.

Votes: 48 31.2%
  • No.

Votes: 98 63.6%
  • Melania is lonely. Very lonely.

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
In my case and I'm sure there are many Oregonians are just like me, as they get older their handwriting changes so that begs the question, how many true ballots are they tossing if they are as exacting as Duck says? What happens if someone has an injured writing hand?

My guess is they use some type of machine that tries to match signatures to some degree but is very lenient.
What about people with dementia. What would keep their spouse or even caregiver from filling it out for them and forge the signature?

I wonder how long it would take to verify 150,000,000 ballots? How many before the rubber stamp comes out?

a computer scans and matches signatures. Any that fail the computer match are then manually verified. This hasnt been a problem.

How are voters verified at polling stations? Is that any different or more or less accurate? Or faster?

a computer scans and matches signatures. Any that fail the computer match are then manually verified. This hasnt been a problem.

How are voters verified at polling stations? Is that any different or more or less accurate? Or faster?

In TN it's a photo ID. Infinitely more accurate than a machine trying to match signatures that might be decades old. How many hand writing experts does OR employ for their elections?

And who cares about speed, the goal should be accuracy.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
In TN it's a photo ID. Infinitely more accurate than a machine trying to match signatures that might be decades old. How many hand writing experts does OR employ for their elections?

In this day and age, making fake IDs is easy... I know this might sound crazy, but wouldn't that ID be unnecessary if there was a photo in their registration database to be referenced at the time of voting?

But, I think the signature suffices just fine in Absentee ballots, unless you disagree.

Don't know about TN, but back when I use to go to a polling station, the people verifying voters were pretty old with what could be questionable eye sight. Are they using a computer to scan photo IDs?

Not sure on qualifications to verify sigs in Oregon. I think it's a committee and the precinct. I can look it up if you're interested.

In this day and age, making fake IDs is easy... I know this might sound crazy, but wouldn't that ID be unnecessary if there was a photo in their registration database to be referenced at the time of voting?

But, I think the signature suffices just fine in Absentee ballots, unless you disagree.
So now everyone needs an updated photo to vote?

Don't know about TN, but back when I use to go to a polling station, the people verifying voters were pretty old with what could be questionable eye sight. Are they using a computer to scan photo IDs?

Not sure on qualifications to verify sigs in Oregon. I think it's a committee and the precinct. I can look it up if you're interested.

Only thing I presented last time was my old crusty registration card. I did have my drivers license in my hand, but it wasn't even looked at.

Absentee ballots have their vulnerabilities but much less than just mailing out ballots to every resisted voter since they have to be requested. And no, fake IDs are not that easy to make anymore.

Sure look it up. If the committee isn't a committee of trained handwriting experts they are not qualified to make a determination.

Absentee ballots have their vulnerabilities but much less than just mailing out ballots to every resisted voter since they have to be requested. And no, fake IDs are not that easy to make anymore.

Sure they are. If there was an organized effort to commit fraud, how hard are you imagining it to be?

Sure they are. If there was an organized effort to commit fraud, how hard are you imagining it to be?

The chances of stopping an organized attempt at fraud are low regardless. But it's even lower with vote by mail than with people actually going to the polls and showing an ID.

I have no problem with issuing an ID when registering, but having the photo available for reference would effectively make carrying the ID unnecessary.
How often do I need a new picture? When I lose 80lbs? Get my hair color changed? Grow a beard?

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
The party that gave you the Iowa caucus clusterf*** wants you to think mail in voting would be legit. Go figure ! What a bunch of dumbasses !

The party that brought us "Vote by Mail" is trying to tell us that "Mail-n Voting" is bad... There's logic for you.

Not sure what you are suggesting, that a voter ID picture needs to be updated more often than a drivers license?
None of those require updating an id. I'm just not sure allowing the poll workers I've seen to determine eligibility based on an old photo helps anything. At least with an id it's physical proof

None of those require updating an id. I'm just not sure allowing the poll workers I've seen to determine eligibility based on an old photo helps anything. At least with an id it's physical proof

If we are talking about having redundancy as a fail-safe. That I can understand.

Sure look it up. If the committee isn't a committee of trained handwriting experts they are not qualified to make a determination.

Virtually all challenged ballots in Oregon are due to signature problems. County elections officials trained in signature verification match the signature on every ballot to the signature on file for the voter. If the signature does not match, the county sends you a letter giving you the opportunity to resolve the issue and have your ballot count. The deadline to resolve the issue with your county elections official is 14 days after the election.

Ok, your turn what are the qualifications of the people in TN that verify voters at the polls? Are they experts in photo ID?

What is your source for this information?

Virtually all challenged ballots in Oregon are due to signature problems. County elections officials trained in signature verification match the signature on every ballot to the signature on file for the voter. If the signature does not match, the county sends you a letter giving you the opportunity to resolve the issue and have your ballot count. The deadline to resolve the issue with your county elections official is 14 days after the election.

Ok, your turn what are the qualifications of the people in TN that verify voters at the polls? Are they experts in photo ID?

Photo experts? Oh I seriously doubt many poll workers in TN have much training in photo identification but they do get training on how to spot false identification, probably not much but matching a photo to a face doesn't require as much training as matching handwriting.

How many ballots in OR are typically pulled for signature problems each election. And one more question, when registering to vote in OR what procedure is used to ensure the person registering is that person? Is there at any time a voter is required to show up in person?

VN Store

Back