Can we please stop booing our own players and coaches?

Some people aren’t self motivated and need help getting that fire going. Would you take that away from those who need help?

Many of Neyland Stadium’s greatest comebacks began with some boos. 2013 Georgia. 2015 Georgia. 2024 Florida. Whether the booing helped the coaches pull their heads from their arses, or it woke the players from their hangovers; The reality of the poor performance brought the team back to life in the nick of time.

And I don’t think anyone can take the booing personally. It’s live feedback on team performance.
That's not it. It's trashy behavior.

Not to mention the fact that with the cost of tickets and parking the average fan can barely afford to go now so when players are getting paid big money and they tell you that’s why the prices are so high what do you expect ? I’m sorry but the NIL is changing my point of view. These are no longer kids playing for the school and scholarships. Just saying 🤷‍♂️
In fairness the prices have been rising nonstop for decades and fans have been vocal even longer than that. I understand not liking NIL. But this sort of things predates it by a long time.

Usually have at least one of these "Boo" threads pop up every year. The only good they do is they let us see who the real asswipes on VolNation are.

"Coaches are used to it". Oh. Well then it's okay.

"The players are getting paid now". Oh, well that's okay then, but not all of them are. And it's just a game ffs.

"If they don't like it they should play better and coach better". If it makes you feel better booing people on the football field, maybe you should try harder in the game of life.

If you dont like my post. FO.
Let’s not forget about the tons of recruits and their parents that are in the stands for some of these games. I’m sure it’s great for the families when the drunk dipshit is booing and crowing about how player x is not worth his NIL deal.

Reactions: Behr
There’s nothing “acceptable” about it.

Just because you choose to pay a lot of money for tickets, doesn’t make you entitled to act like a fool.

Being frustrated is fine but booing your own team makes you look childish imo.

Let’s not forget about the tons of recruits and their parents that are in the stands for some of these games. I’m sure it’s great for the families when the drunk dipshit is booing and crowing about how player x is not worth his NIL deal.
Absolutely and thanks. But it shouldn't need to be explained and even though you did it won't matter to some.

"I paid for my tickets and this beer with my own hard earned money and all them kids and coaches is making millions of dollars and if I wanna booo, I'll show them by gawd. "

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Usually have at least one of these "Boo" threads pop up every year. The only good they do is they let us see who the real asswipes on VolNation are.

"Coaches are used to it". Oh. Well then it's okay.

"The players are getting paid now". Oh, well that's okay then, but not all of them are. And it's just a game ffs.

"If they don't like it they should play better and coach better". If it makes you feel better booing people on the football field, maybe you should try harder in the game of life.

If you dont like my post. FO.
Really classy, not unlike the issue you are complaining about in the first place.

Got no issue with booing. If you choose to do it, then leave it at that. The f bombs and theatrics can stay at home. Just the same as those that have such a problem with people booing - don’t like it, stay at home. The people complaining about the booing are likely the same ones raising hell about people standing up at a basketball game to cheer. Life isn’t all rainbows and unicorns and buttercups.

Booing is the only collective way fans can communicate that they are not satisfied with the product being put out on the field. Given the cost and time they allotted to attend the game the fans absolutely have that right. Recruits know football, and they can see when things aren’t working and need to change too.

Reactions: adam.vol
I see this both ways. But, frankly, I think if the fans feel that way the players already feel it, too.

Now, I think it’s okay to boo what is perceived as a lack of effort or focus, etc. To light a fire under their asses.

However, nobody should ever boo a fumble, interception, etc.

There is a difference. When a player is giving his all, and simply doesn’t make the play, the effort should be appreciated…along with appreciating that sometimes the other side makes a better play.

Last edited:
In fairness the prices have been rising nonstop for decades and fans have been vocal even longer than that. I understand not liking NIL. But this sort of things predates it by a long time.
It’s just different when your athletic director publicly tells everyone that NIL is the reason for the new price hike. These are now semi pro athletes, I personally don’t boo but I do see why some do.

It’s just different when your athletic director publicly tells everyone that NIL is the reason for the new price hike. These are now semi pro athletes, I personally don’t boo but I do see why some do.
There are times I think it's immature and other times I think it's justified. As with most things it's not a "black and white" issue.

Folks that do it have had any number of justifications over the years. NIL is just the new "boogie man". Whatever justification fans want use, and it's validity, is beside the point. This is just part of the game for a top 25 team in a 100k+ stadium that produces the level of atmosphere that you get at Neyland.

Ehh most of that starts with the student section. And the student section is gonna do what the student section wants. It’s their job to create a hostile environment, throw mustard bottle, golf balls, etc, but they need to keep it directed at the opposing team.

I’d like to tell you about something called the ol 1st amendment….. really though, would you express your concern with your financial officer if you weren’t getting returns? Your employees if they weren’t performing? Your child if they didn’t meet expectations? Your electric company if the power was flickering? Your waitress if your drink runs dry? People will always voice displeasure. Especially when millions are now attached to it. And the price is only rising mind you. A family of 4 probably paid 12-1500$ to sit in those stands and possibly boo last weekend. It may not be your thing, but I don’t see the “classless” high horse thoughts either. When people pay money they’re allowed to have opinions and expectations. Get off your high horse.
It's got me wondering what it means when so many posters--who are sports fans, fans of winners and excellence and achievement--are so energized to ride and defend the low horse?

What's this attraction to embracing the lowest common denominator for public behavior? Has anyone here in the past dozen years seen too much positive, respectful of others, mutually edifying, neighbor affirming behavior? Where is this excess of "goodness" that needs to be balanced out by lowering expectations and aspirations?

I can't tell if this "Columbia University" envy, or just wishing to live inside a good ol' boy country song.

Some of our fans think it's 1973 still and we got a bunch of good old boys just trying their hardest for the hometown Vols program. Be honest, this is a pro sports league now and if I have to pay $300 just to get in the stadium and we are getting our ass kicked I'll do what I please. A little anxious booing is fine. Obviously don't cross a line.

Really classy, not unlike the issue you are complaining about in the first place.

Got no issue with booing. If you choose to do it, then leave it at that. The f bombs and theatrics can stay at home. Just the same as those that have such a problem with people booing - don’t like it, stay at home. The people complaining about the booing are likely the same ones raising hell about people standing up at a basketball game to cheer. Life isn’t all rainbows and unicorns and buttercups.
Really mature Buttercup. We can play this stupid game all night. Boo all you want to, I just think it's a form of whining by adults. Look at the comments that are making excuses for it. I'm not getting my way so I'm going to make sure someone knows of my disapproval.

You say "don't like it stay at home". If you dont like the product stay at home. The ones booing most likely are the legions of the miserable that think we're going to lose anyway. Lol, but go ahead and go. And boo.

Life isn't all rainbows and unicorns so you might as well cry about it. Or boo. Right?

Reactions: GordonC
I see this both ways. But, frankly, I think if the fans feel that way the players already feel it, too.

Now, I think it’s okay to boo what is perceived as a lack of effort or focus, etc. To light a fire under their asses.

However, nobody should ever boo a fumble, interception, etc.

There is a difference. When a player is giving his all, and simply doesn’t make the play, the effort should be appreciated…along with appreciating that sometimes the other side makes a better play.

I like your version. It’s a good compromise between the overly stiff crowd and the out of control group.

The two types tend to balance out one another to make a great GameDay. Some people need help expressing themselves. Others need help controlling themselves. They would each be insufferable without the another, so treat your neighbors kindly.

So, when UT hands the ball off to a running back on 3rd and 15 in a close game, we are not allowed to boo?

VN Store

Back