CBJ calls out the OL

he is going to hurt their feelings and throwing his team and players under the bus is just not cool.
Plus I heard some of the other coaches cuss.

:eek:lol:

Coaching 101. Dooley may have not done it well or with the kind of heart and sincerity to make it work... but he knew the book answer.

FWIW, I still say the tear down phase is just about over. Maybe following the open practice he will start building them back up. He will hone down and start focusing on guys who he expects to play going into the season. He may not say who the starters are but the reps will.

If he is the master everyone claims then by the first kickoff... these guys will believe they can walk on water and that any physical deficiency they have doesn't matter.

My old HS is in the mtns of WNC. One year during the playoffs we went to the Greensboro area to play a team with more "athletes" than we had. A TV announcer after detailing the speed and 40 times of the other team with its coach turned to ours asked him, "How fast are your players". Without blinking, he responded "As fast as they have to be"... and grinned. We beat them 23-0... iirc they had less than 120 yds of total O.

Confidence can be built by a good coach. Confidence can cause a player to make plays vs a more athletic opponent that the measurables say he can't make.

Reactions: 2 people
I am suspect of the praise of this OL in general. I agree they are very good pass blockers, but they have not shown an ability to open big running lanes in the past. I hope they step up to the challenge and I believe they will.

I agree with this. The run stats from the last 2 years are not acceptable in the SEC.

:eek:lol:

Coaching 101. Dooley may have not done it well or with the kind of heart and sincerity to make it work... but he knew the book answer.

FWIW, I still say the tear down phase is just about over. Maybe following the open practice he will start building them back up. He will hone down and start focusing on guys who he expects to play going into the season. He may not say who the starters are but the reps will.

If he is the master everyone claims then by the first kickoff... these guys will believe they can walk on water and that any physical deficiency they have doesn't matter.

My old HS is in the mtns of WNC. One year during the playoffs we went to the Greensboro area to play a team with more "athletes" than we had. A TV announcer after detailing the speed and 40 times of the other team with its coach turned to ours asked him, "How fast are your players". Without blinking, he responded "As fast as they have to be"... and grinned. We beat them 23-0... iirc they had less than 120 yds of total O.

Confidence can be built by a good coach. Confidence can cause a player to make plays vs a more athletic opponent that the measurables say he can't make.
Confidence is overrated

I don't think our OL has any toughness issues. They have too many SEC starts under their belts against guys now playing on Sunday to have their toughness questioned.

I'd have to disagree with ya. Toughness is shown in run blocking not pass blocking, and our OL despite all their experience, has never shown they can get the tough yards in crunch time against quality opponents.

Reactions: 3 people
The one thing a comment like this does do is separate fans into the glass half full vs half empty. Some will say, "Oh no, the OL must not be as good as we thought". Others will say, "Alright! The DL must be much better than anyone expected."

Reactions: 1 person
Well at least Butch is consistent. IIRC we nailed the running back for a loss when Cincinnati attempted 4th and 1 when they played in Neyland. It did not happen just once but maybe two or three times. I hope Butch has found a better formation to attempt short yardage situations by now.

Lmao!
I'll see you in December when you are calling for his head

I won't. I will maintain hope that somehow he can keep convincing players to come... that it will just be a fluke rather than meaning in '14 when he deals with REAL roster issues it won't be worse. Carping for two years will not help the program. Better to support him until there is a real chance that he would be replaced... which is at the earliest '15.

Realistically though, he has a very low chance of surviving after '15 if he only wins 6 this year. Plus it will mean that he only beat the teams with less talent than he has... no one with roughly equal or greater talent.

Those calling for his head after '14 if he wins 5 or 6 this year and the same or worse next year... will be many of the same ones now claiming six wins would be a "good" result with this team.

He will very likely lose his whole OL and at least 6 of his starting front 7 on D. Many of the guys who are supposedly going to tank this season because they are too young... will still be just Sophs next year. If this is a six win team then '14 is a 4 win team.

he is going to hurt their feelings and throwing his team and players under the bus is just not cool.

Oh no! I can not believe any of our coaches would even whisper a cuss word, or tell a player that he is not playing /practicing up to his ability. Have we hired a monster, or have we hire a coaching staff that may just be the best coaching staff in College football? Go tech them up Butch.

NFL coaches will be even harder on them, if they can't get it done at this level they sure as hell won't at the next.
I want our seniors to have a good year , but that's entirely up to them. Do the work.

BTW, I happen to believe right now that Jones will squeeze all of the juice out of this team and win at least 7 regular season games.

One thing is for sure, we'll know after the Florida game if this OL is being over rated....no doubt about it!

CBJ called out the OL in his presser today. Said they had a 4th and 1 in practice and failed to get it, said that is inexcusable. Also said something to the media about them giving the OL a pass in interviews, saying they need to show they are as good as advertised, something they have yet to do. I really applaud the guy, he shows no favoritism.

I like that he said something about the media- that's kinda cool and novel- at least I don't recall that kind of thing too much. (At least from this angle... I'm aware of the "I'm 40" nonsense.)

As for "calling out" the line, it's not so much a no-show of favoritism. It's pushing in order to see the potential. He will praise them in due time.

Perhaps our O-Line did not look super at run blocking last year because the offense was centered around throwing the ball alot?

In this system we will be running the ball more than throwing, so naturally their run blocking will improve because they will be doing a lot more of it during practice.

If he can get them to run block as good as they pass block, our Offense is in good shape, even with question marks at certain positions. Just because WR's are young doesn't mean they can't come in and torch people who underestimate them.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back