CBJ calls out the OL

I am suspect of the praise of this OL in general. I agree they are very good pass blockers, but they have not shown an ability to open big running lanes in the past. I hope they step up to the challenge and I believe they will.

I agree 100% everyone says we have the best OL but I don't think so, they are really good but I have seen nothing in the run game to earn that praise. The pass game is really the only thing they are great at.

I won't. I will maintain hope that somehow he can keep convincing players to come... that it will just be a fluke rather than meaning in '14 when he deals with REAL roster issues it won't be worse. Carping for two years will not help the program. Better to support him until there is a real chance that he would be replaced... which is at the earliest '15.

Realistically though, he has a very low chance of surviving after '15 if he only wins 6 this year. Plus it will mean that he only beat the teams with less talent than he has... no one with roughly equal or greater talent.

Those calling for his head after '14 if he wins 5 or 6 this year and the same or worse next year... will be many of the same ones now claiming six wins would be a "good" result with this team.

He will very likely lose his whole OL and at least 6 of his starting front 7 on D. Many of the guys who are supposedly going to tank this season because they are too young... will still be just Sophs next year. If this is a six win team then '14 is a 4 win team.

You're delusional.

Reactions: 2 people
CBJ called out the OL in his presser today. Said they had a 4th and 1 in practice and failed to get it, said that is inexcusable. Also said something to the media about them giving the OL a pass in interviews, saying they need to show they are as good as advertised, something they have yet to do. I really applaud the guy, he shows no favoritism.

Makes me feel better about our dline a little

what the coach calling them out in the media the last coach that did that volnation said blasphemy.. damn him for calling players out n public

since cbj gets it!!! its ok.... come.on volnation call him out!!! lol

can the season get here please

This O-Line will be good. Neal was on track to break 1000 yards last year before getting hurt and that was behind this O-line. I just believe if Neal plays as well as he has in camp he will run for 1200 yards. Then we will all be talking about how great this line is.

If Neal gets 1000 then Lane should get 1500 because he is the better RB.

I love this. Butch is motivating our most talented unit cause he understands that our season rests on their shoulders. They have the ability to mask alot of our weaknesses and push us from being a 6-6 team toward a possible 8-4 team.

Our O line and D line has the ability to get us to 9-3. This is the most experienced group of linemen in the country.

He called them out during he entire practice today. They were a little worn and sloppy. On the 4 n 1 the D flat crashed the left side and stuffed it. The O line seems to have been reading how good he media thinks are.

North is the real deal. Kicking was poor. A couple of knee tweaks. Walls and Lane. Nothing too exciting.

CBJ called out the OL in his presser today. Said they had a 4th and 1 in practice and failed to get it, said that is inexcusable. Also said something to the media about them giving the OL a pass in interviews, saying they need to show they are as good as advertised, something they have yet to do. I really applaud the guy, he shows no favoritism.

Oh no......calling out players in public to the press....How dare he be so insensitive? How dare he be so demeaning? Doesn't he know that they need encouragement instead of ridicule?

sarcasm!

Reactions: 2 people
One thing I would point out to anyone crying about Butch demanding more is this. I have had the luxury of watching practice and what people don't see and hear is how he coaches. He knows exactly when and how to teach with a calm demeanor. The more I see him and this staff he more confident I get.

Reactions: 3 people
Dooley calls out his team and he's an idiot.
But besides that if Butch is not very pleased with the OL then that worries me. They should be amazing. Of course, he could just be doing that because he knows how important they are to this season (altho not getting 4th and 1 sounds familiar).

I won't. I will maintain hope that somehow he can keep convincing players to come... that it will just be a fluke rather than meaning in '14 when he deals with REAL roster issues it won't be worse. Carping for two years will not help the program. Better to support him until there is a real chance that he would be replaced... which is at the earliest '15.

Realistically though, he has a very low chance of surviving after '15 if he only wins 6 this year. Plus it will mean that he only beat the teams with less talent than he has... no one with roughly equal or greater talent.

Those calling for his head after '14 if he wins 5 or 6 this year and the same or worse next year... will be many of the same ones now claiming six wins would be a "good" result with this team.

He will very likely lose his whole OL and at least 6 of his starting front 7 on D. Many of the guys who are supposedly going to tank this season because they are too young... will still be just Sophs next year. If this is a six win team then '14 is a 4 win team.

dude u make to much sense for this site. this is his best chance to impress n show he is the right coach

i actually think it will take 4 years or more to get everything lined up and clicking right as far as wins and loses go,people need to remember,even with a great class of recruits coming in

it will take several classes of great recruiting to get to where everybody wants the Vols to be consistently at and a lot of player development along the way

just remember that freshmen starting isn't usually a good thing in the SEC,there are exceptions of course,but most do better with a year or to of S&C training and getting coached up along the way too

I do thing CBJ will get it done,but it is going to take a lot of time too

:toast::3cheers::td:

Oh no......calling out players in public to the press....How dare he be so insensitive? How dare he be so demeaning? Doesn't he know that they need encouragement instead of ridicule?

sarcasm!

I know you're being sarcastic but one thing everyone should remember too. He wasn't singling out an individual player. He was criticizing them as a unit.

Reactions: 1 person
I know you're being sarcastic but one thing everyone should remember too. He wasn't singling out an individual player. He was criticizing them as a unit.
Solid point. One of my beefs with Dools was him calling out players all the time and not taking any blame himself.

So he gets a pass when he does 5 at a time, instead of one? If he doesn't mention names, wonder who the 5 could possibly be?

Reactions: 1 person
So he gets a pass when he does 5 at a time, instead of one? If he doesn't mention names, wonder who the 5 could possibly be?
Really?

oTPtZXrtnlsz16jgPyq0nhdbo1_400.jpg

You're delusional.

Only if expecting Jones to do better than Dooley in his first year with a better roster against a schedule that is no worse than equal.

And you of all people should know about ragging a coach because he's losing. If you think Jones will survive two 6 or less win seasons followed by something less than "special" then you are the delusional one.

And I would still like an answer from you too. If he would be doing great or even just fine winning 6 this year... then what is your expectation for next year when he is likely to have to replace his starting OL and at least 6 of the starting front 7 on D? Four? Five? Three?

Last edited:
Perhaps our O-Line did not look super at run blocking last year because the offense was centered around throwing the ball alot?

In this system we will be running the ball more than throwing, so naturally their run blocking will improve because they will be doing a lot more of it during practice.

If he can get them to run block as good as they pass block, our Offense is in good shape, even with question marks at certain positions. Just because WR's are young doesn't mean they can't come in and torch people who underestimate them.

Quality post, sir. :good!: :hi:

VN Store

Back