Chase Burns Appreciation Thread

You’re right, it is different. It’s been known for awhile now that Burns was transferring at the end of the season. That alone says a lot about who he is. Even knowing he not returning, the coaches knowing it, and yet he still kept going out there giving his all for UT and is the reason we beat USM, Clemson, and Stanford. The other players I named quit on the team during the season and decided to enter the portal while we was making a push for Omaha. Why not wait a couple more weeks and enter the portal when season is over with? But instead Burns and Fanning kept with it while the others quit on the team during the season.

OK, well Stanwich didn’t even make it to spring semester, but I guess you can be upset about him leaving if you want to be. I’m not sure why you’d expect anybody else to look at Stanwich and Burns the same though.

He was 2-3 with a 6.10 ERA as a starter in 23. Not sure why he's mad that he was pushed to reliever. He thrived. Hopefully he was thankful for the opportunity to get back in and role he was offered

You’re right, it is different. It’s been known for awhile now that Burns was transferring at the end of the season. That alone says a lot about who he is. Even knowing he not returning, the coaches knowing it, and yet he still kept going out there giving his all for UT and is the reason we beat USM, Clemson, and Stanford. The other players I named quit on the team during the season and decided to enter the portal while we was making a push for Omaha. Why not wait a couple more weeks and enter the portal when season is over with? But instead Burns and Fanning kept with it while the others quit on the team during the season.

I appreciate his efforts and and absolutely loved watching him pitch. But, Burns had a lot more to lose if he transferred mid-season than the others. Frankly, you are comparing apples and oranges. You think the bullpen move might have scouts asking questions? Transferring mid-season would as well.

Reactions: Ttucke11 and drylo
I'm never going to dog a kid for doing what he feels is best for him in the long term. Unless that kid is Henry To'oTo'o .

If I had to guess, CVT told Chase that his spot in the starting rotation next year wasn't a lock, so he decided to go somewhere that it will be.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Burns actually did say why he was leaving this morning. “I don’t really know," Burns said when asked if he would like to go back to being a starting pitcher. "I haven’t really thought about it much. But I have been a starter my whole life so I would like to get back in that role.” Says all I need to know about his decision. I get that he was relegated to the pen two season in a row. THat has to be disheartening to anyone with an ego and the drive to be a starter.

According to CTV's recent interview, he decided a while ago that he would leave. "It's pretty straight forward," Vitello told John Wilkerson, the voice of Tennessee baseball and co-host of SportsTalk with Vince Ferrara. "We've kind of known that he would be gone for awhile, but a good case to be careful about what you read on Twitter because like I said, that's been pretty straight forward."

Both quotes are from the article on 247. CTV's quotes are from a radio interview John and Vince Sports talk.

I applaud CTV for knowing a long time and keeping it quiet. Both decisions (Burns to the bullpen and quieting th rumor mill) were the right ones by CTV and his staff.

I applaud Burns for not quitting when he was moved into the bullpen. I applaud him even more for his relief performances. He seemed to get better as the season went on. The Basevols don't make it that deep without him.

But I also don't think that he should leave if he truly wants to be a starter. I think he should earn it by having the best offseason he could have and then keep it by performing up to his expectations in the 24 season. Too bad it's not my decision to make. If he isn't willing to do that in Knocksville, then he is making the right choice.

So with that, I say good luck and godspeed.

hogwash. we benefit greatly from it too. think about merrit, lindsey, denton, ahuna, halvorsen, etc. it's not always going to be one-sided in your favor.
You can call it what ever the H@@@ you want. Portal makes it to easy to be whining babies. I dont like not knowing who to invest my time in if they can be outbid and be in a different uniform at any time.

Chase Who?

Go Big Orange. And all who choose to wear it.

For clarity: Tennessee had a number of transfers this year. Some contributed a lot, others not so much. I pulled for all of them to succeed. BUT, I pulled for them when they were wearing Orange. I never pulled for them before. Doesn't make them bad people that they came from someone else; doesn't make our prior players bad for going somewhere else. I want all these kids to be happy. I am just not gonna root for some other team's (player's) success the same as I root for it when they play for my team.

Last edited:
I'm never going to dog a kid for doing what he feels is best for him in the long term. Unless that kid is Henry To'oTo'o .

If I had to guess, CVT told Chase that his spot in the starting rotation next year wasn't a lock, so he decided to go somewhere that it will be.
At least Henry T had a cluster **** of coaching turmoil surrounding him that it could at least be understandable.

Seems like thread was well intentioned. Turns out a rather sad display.
lol maybe I should take another sabbatical. No one can take away what the young man did for the BaseVols these past two seasons.

Or maybe one of the mods can change the thread title to "CB is a big selfish baby!"

They just bought a CWS. Some may disagree with me about this but they have enough of a commitment to winning . Money is no object. Tommy White and Skenes both visited and talked to us . We were the favorites to land both of them. They both visit LSU and walk away with offers they just can’t say no too. Until we have a NIL with a commitment to getting the absolute best players available we will not win anything. We are going to be competitive in all the major sports but that’s about it.
I agree and I'd like a bigger commitment for NIL in baseball, women's basketball and men's basketball. We need corporations and big money to step up like they have at LSU. Tennessee has more millionaires than Louisiana, yet they kick our tails oftentimes. I gwt it our NIL is good, but I want it to be the best!

Reactions: tn4elvis
He got his feelings hurt and is now leaving because of it. I'm not thanking him for anything.
Or he's not sure he would remain a starter at UT and it would really cost him in the draft. I'm sure his advisors are hearing that from a lot of schools. Tony did move him there so it can happen again. He knows there are no guarantees at UT. He probably has those guarantees elsewhere so he on the move. It is what it is, but if a player doesn't want to be here, so be it. Move on to your next program. Kids hear what they want to hear.

It's Friday night in Oxford, MS. The number 1 ranked Ol Miss Rebels have filled Swayze Field with 11,337 fans. On the mound for the Vols is Chase Burns. Many question if the talented Freshman is ready for a stage this big.

7.1 IP
2 H
1 ER
0 BB
11 SO

I'm disappointed as a fan that Burns is leaving. But as a fan, my loss is only in the entertainment department. I'm not losing money or a friendship or a home.

Let me frame this situation another way, speaking generally---not about Burns specifically, as I don't know his personal goals, motivations, thought process, etc.

Let's say you have (or your son has) a talent, a desire, and you keep developing them until you have a real skill that will soon be potentially highly marketable.

So now you have stewardship responsibilities for that skill. If you're a wise steward, you protect your health with proper exercise, nutrition, sleep, etc. You also practice, and seek the best available instruction, coaching, and mentoring.

If your skill is very specific, like pitching or golf or shooting, and the rules offer you the option to study/play under more than one excellent coach... do you take that option? Do you seize that opportunity---not out of dis-loyalty, but as a logical, responsible stewardship of that gift?

Like I said, this is just one of many ways to frame the issue, and it's certainly not one that I can condemn.
-------------
Now I ignored NIL* in this presentation of "stewardship." But anyone can see that the risk of career-ending injury has a bearing on stewardship of one's future. Most college students leave school with a degree and debt, and not many careers afford an income that makes paying off debt quick or easy.

So even if you leave college with your athletic dreams shattered--but with a degree and some seed money to start your life in a new direction--yeah. That's good stewardship, too.
------------
*As I've said before, I believe NIL was foisted on the NCAA not to improve college athletics, but to destroy it.

Last edited:
College sports essentially has free agency now. Some teams have already realized this and have started capitalizing on it. The ones that haven't are going to have a hard time playing catch up.

I'm disappointed as a fan that Burns is leaving. But as a fan, my loss is only in the entertainment department. I'm not losing money or a friendship or a home.

Let me frame this situation another way, speaking generally---not about Burns specifically, as I don't know his personal goals, motivations, thought process, etc.

Let's say you have (or your son has) a talent, a desire, and you keep developing them until you have a real skill that will soon be potentially highly marketable.

So now you have stewardship responsibilities for that skill. If you're a wise steward, you protect your health with proper exercise, nutrition, sleep, etc. You also practice, and seek the best available instruction, coaching, and mentoring.

If your skill is very specific, like pitching or golf or shooting, and the rules offer you the option to study/play under more than one excellent coach... do you take that option? Do you seize that opportunity---not out of dis-loyalty, but as a logical, responsible stewardship of that gift?

Like I said, this is just one of many ways to frame the issue, and it's certainly not one that I can condemn.
-------------
Now I ignored NIL* in this presentation of "stewardship. But anyone can see that the risk of career-ending injury has a bearing on stewardship of one's future. Most college students leave school with a degree and debt, and not many careers afford an income that makes paying off debt quick or easy.

So even if you leave college with your athletic dreams shattered--but with a degree and some seed money to start your life in a new direction--yeah. That's good stewardship, too.
------------
*As I've said before, I believe NIL was foisted on the NCAA not to improve college athletics, but to destroy it.
👏 👏

VN Store

Back