Chase Burns Appreciation Thread

I don't have any hate towards Burns but I suspect the reasoning is Burns is leaving over being mad that he was moved to the bull pen the others are leaving over a lack of playing time.
Read an article that said he had told Coach V he had "plateaued" at Tennessee. Can someone explain what that means?

I'm disappointed as a fan that Burns is leaving. But as a fan, my loss is only in the entertainment department. I'm not losing money or a friendship or a home.

Let me frame this situation another way, speaking generally---not about Burns specifically, as I don't know his personal goals, motivations, thought process, etc.

Let's say you have (or your son has) a talent, a desire, and you keep developing them until you have a real skill that will soon be potentially highly marketable.

So now you have stewardship responsibilities for that skill. If you're a wise steward, you protect your health with proper exercise, nutrition, sleep, etc. You also practice, and seek the best available instruction, coaching, and mentoring.

If your skill is very specific, like pitching or golf or shooting, and the rules offer you the option to study/play under more than one excellent coach... do you take that option? Do you seize that opportunity---not out of dis-loyalty, but as a logical, responsible stewardship of that gift?

Like I said, this is just one of many ways to frame the issue, and it's certainly not one that I can condemn.
-------------
Now I ignored NIL* in this presentation of "stewardship." But anyone can see that the risk of career-ending injury has a bearing on stewardship of one's future. Most college students leave school with a degree and debt, and not many careers afford an income that makes paying off debt quick or easy.

So even if you leave college with your athletic dreams shattered--but with a degree and some seed money to start your life in a new direction--yeah. That's good stewardship, too.
------------
*As I've said before, I believe NIL was foisted on the NCAA not to improve college athletics, but to destroy it.
I agree on most but
This. Most college sport athletes who receive scholarships do not leave with debt. And get a free education. Along with many extra benefits (food, health care, nutritionists, tutors and so on)

All I can say tuff love . Any coach that doesn't do whatever is best for the team want coach at a high level very long. Sure Chase is an outstanding young man that will probably make tons of money. Hope he stays healthy. He lost hundreds of thousands of fans and want be reviewed as one of the VOLS all time greats. I truly believe he'll be much better next season.

Reactions: MagnoliaVol
Or he's not sure he would remain a starter at UT and it would really cost him in the draft. I'm sure his advisors are hearing that from a lot of schools. Tony did move him there so it can happen again. He knows there are no guarantees at UT. He probably has those guarantees elsewhere so he on the move. It is what it is, but if a player doesn't want to be here, so be it. Move on to your next program. Kids hear what they want to hear.
I agree. Tony gave him a shot as a starter. In his first four outings, he gave up 23 runs in 17.1 innings.

Other coaches may promise him a starting rotation role. However, if he struggles, he may well be back in the bullpen for that team too.

I wish him well at his new location.

Reactions: StarRaider
I asked a question about this a few days ago. My grandson texted me that he read that this was happening. My post was deleted. I read a lot and comment rarely so not very educated on the edict on posting. Would someone please explain why my post was deleted. Sarcasm expected answer would be appreciated.

With the NIL now and all that comes along with it, I can almost guarantee that grades aren’t a big factor. It’s all about winning now and schools will do whatever they have to do to achieve it. You really think Paul Skenes for example is sitting in every class and not missing anything?
Grades? Some athletes couldn't tell you where the classroom is unless they know professional sports aren't in their future.

Reactions: NO SIR EEE
I asked a question about this a few days ago. My grandson texted me that he read that this was happening. My post was deleted. I read a lot and comment rarely so not very educated on the edict on posting. Would someone please explain why my post was deleted. Sarcasm expected answer would be appreciated.

Be happy to explain. You started a thread, there was already a thread, had you posted the same info in the already existing thread, your post would not have been deleted. Hope that helps, this stuff happens all the time. Welcome to the board.

It's a loss for sure if he transfers. But, then again, there is no one who can't be replaced. I say good luck to him (won't say thanks to someone who transfers out), and next man up.

I agree on most but
This. Most college sport athletes who receive scholarships do not leave with debt. And get a free education. Along with many extra benefits (food, health care, nutritionists, tutors and so on)
This is false. Most baseball players, especially those who are coming in from out of state, which is about half the players on ours and every other D1 team will leave owing between $60-80,000. When you take the 11.7 and divide it out you get only about $10,000 per year going to each player who is getting scholarship money. Football and basketball are different but baseball players are not getting free rides. If they are in-state and make good grades there is money available but many times that is also related to income of parents. But the overall premise that baseball players are getting a free education is false. I've checked this across most levels of baseball. My middle son went to The Citadel also and his is about the same. But the student knows that when they go out of state to play baseball. Not complaining. Just explaining that baseball is a pay to play sport at the P5 level for most players.

It's aggravating that the sole reason he is even a topic of discussion is because TV made the call to remove him as starter and place him in the bullpen and this is his presumed reason for transferring. Had TV been cut more in the mold of say, Pruitt, maybe he would have kept throwing him out there as a starter and we'd be talking about just another ho hum starter who could throw hard. But instead, we have a coach that made smart, team based decisions and here we are.

Can't wish him luck on the diamond, as that would mean wishing a competitor of the Vols luck, but will wish him luck in life outside of sports for his accomplishments here.

He was 2-3 with a 6.10 ERA as a starter in 23. Not sure why he's mad that he was pushed to reliever. He thrived. Hopefully he was thankful for the opportunity to get back in and role he was offered
Yeah…I have to believe his transfer is about money. Even a causal baseball fan KNEW something had to be done because CB was struggling so bad as a starter. Being put in the pen happens regularly so any pitcher who gets upset with the staff trying to change his routine to help him refocus (which is 100% what the bullpen did for Chase) has simply lost touch with reality. I just don’t have many emotions one way or the other if a kid wants to transfer. “What you must do…do quickly”! The longer it ferments and grows old …the harder it is on the team. The VOLS will be just fine one way or the other. It really is that simple. Pitchers come and go…and can ALWAYS be replaced.

Reactions: GiveHim6InSC
I don't know Chase Burns personally. He seems like someone I would like if I did. I know he is a phenomenal talent. He has brought joy to me personally over the last two years and I am grateful for those memories.

It's only human nature to wonder why someone is leaving. But in the end it's not important. I'm sure it was a difficult decision for Chase and I wish him well.

Just for clarification and to address
why some players "may" have entered the portal several weeks ago.

If my counting skills are correct, Tennessee started the 2023 season with 41 players on the roster.

Only 27 players are allowed to travel in post season. Perhaps some players who didn't make the travel squad, decided to enter the portal. Others who didn't make the travel squad moved on to their summer leagues.

With only 11.7 scholarships to divide among more than 11.7 players, college baseball is a difficult job. Coach Vitello and his staff's accomplishments this year are worthy of legend. Tennessee's baseball future has never been brighter.

Yeah…I have to believe his transfer is about money. Even a causal baseball fan KNEW something had to be done because CB was struggling so bad as a starter. Being put in the pen happens regularly so any pitcher who gets upset with the staff trying to change his routine to help him refocus (which is 100% what the bullpen did for Chase) has simply lost touch with reality. I just don’t have many emotions one way or the other if a kid wants to transfer. “What you must do…do quickly”! The longer it ferments and grows old …the harder it is on the team. The VOLS will be just fine one way or the other. It really is that simple. Pitchers come and go…and can ALWAYS be replaced.

Not can always, WILL be. Take us out of the equation. Skenes’ time is up, he’s gone, they gotta figure that out, happens to everybody.

Not can always, WILL be. Take us out of the equation. Skenes’ time is up, he’s gone, they gotta figure that out, happens to everybody.
Not sure I’m following you…but I THINK you’re agreeing with my assessment 😂. I agree. Skenes time is up…and somebody else WILL replace him. Just like somebody WILL replace Burns. 😂 Heck…in my current mental state…I will forget his name by this time next year! “Next man up” is a real thing…just ask the D-Day men!

If he does end up at LSU, I hope somebody has evidence of them interfering while he was at UT. Obviously, I don’t expect anything to come of it from the ncaa, but it would be nice for them to be penalized for doing something illegal

Not sure I’m following you…but I THINK you’re agreeing with my assessment 😂. I agree. Skenes time is up…and somebody else WILL replace him. Just like somebody WILL replace Burns. 😂 Heck…in my current mental state…I will forget his name by this time next year! “Next man up” is a real thing…just ask the D-Day men!

We agree.

VN Store

Back