Cigar /Pipe Smoking thread

I haven’t noticed many Lancero cigars being posted or talked about. From what I was told in our Cigar 101 class, the Lancero style is going to give you the best ratio of filler to binder, thus more flavor. Any thoughts or favorite Lanceros? I don’t think I’ve even tried one yet and I was thinking about it today while I was perusing the humidor at Casablanca and didn’t really see very many Lanceros to choose from, so I didn’t pick one up.

The Oliva V lancero was a top 10 not long ago. The Melanio also has that vitola I think as well.

Panatella is another vitola that is very similar (long and thin).

Great cigar blenders know how to make the most of almost any size, reconfiguring the blend to get the right proportions - but it is also why some cigars of certain sizes smoke much better than their brethren, even though they are made from the same tobaccos.

I do enjoy a slim jim now and again. They are a great way to get really deep rich flavors without being overpowering. Great for a day when I dont want too much smoke but still want a luxury experience.

The Oliva Vs are really really good. I had a 5 pack of My Fathers and was not as impressed as I usually am with them. Smooth smoke though.

Lonsdale is a slightly fatter vitola 42-44 but Ashton makes some really nice ones.

Reactions: Regulator
I discovered Don Carlos reservas while smoking my way through AF’s entire inventory, and I really like them. Smooth for a full bodied cigar, very flavorful with nuts, cocoa, spice, and cedar in balance. Pepper is most evident on the retrohale.

I’ve yet to taste an Opus X and most likely won’t, now that I’m retired and on a budget. Still, I might spring for a single if I ever encounter one.

I shouldn’t really afford these Don Carlos reservas, but I was frugal last month, so I used a discount to buy a box at ~$8/stick. Just couldn’t pass up the opportunity. 😎

Reactions: Gandalf
The proprietor of my local cigar shop told me that Chinese interests have acquired the Cuban cigar makers. Cigars have become big among China’s wealthy. They’re pushing up prices, paying up for tobacco production from everywhere. Under Chinese ownership, the Cuban cigars are all blends. Volume is up, with Cuban cigars having 40% or less Cuban tobacco, and all but a trickle bound for the burgeoning Chinese market, where retail prices are as much as $80/stick.
What think you, @Gandalf ?

The proprietor of my local cigar shop told me that Chinese interests have acquired the Cuban cigar makers. Cigars have become big among China’s wealthy. They’re pushing up prices, paying up for tobacco production from everywhere. Under Chinese ownership, the Cuban cigars are all blends. Volume is up, with Cuban cigars having 40% or less Cuban tobacco, and all but a trickle bound for the burgeoning Chinese market, where retail prices are as much as $80/stick.

This, sadly for us, is the result of the shattering of our unipolar world. Expect to see more of it. It very much reminds me of what happened first to the prices of high end cognac (VSOP, etc) and then aged scotch. As the vast ocean of chinese consumers have become more wealthy, they have in some degree, adopted Western tastes.

Being that some things are limited, like the number of 20 yo barrels of McCallan and bales of aged ligero from Pinar del Río you simply cannot manufacture those reliably. That is part of their charm of course, like the delectable fruit from your farmer's market.

When millions more people in the world are becoming millionaires, they have the money to purchase these scarce resources. The Chinese who try to pass off other tobacco for Cubans and who water their goods down for their home market may prevail in the mass markets but the glabal premium market will always know better and there will be those who make the real things. But will we be able to afford them?

As our global dominance wanes, from the folly of those who pretend to lead us, so will our buying power.

The lesson I suppose is - smokem while you gottem!

Smoke ‘em while you can afford ‘em. I can foresee a future when my doctor and my dentist are pleased that I cannot afford to indulge. May it be far over the horizon.

Reactions: Nkyvolfan
The box has been opened. I’m on the screened porch with a cocktail and the fan running. Humidity is only 38%! Summer is tolerable this fine Friday afternoon.
View attachment 658181

we-happy.gif

Reactions: Tin Man
If you find yourself in Florida near any Corona Cigar Co. do yourself a favor and check it out. I went in their Orlando location tonight and could have spent a fortune. Fella that rang me up said they had +/- 1700 products to choose from. I’ve never seen that many cigars in one place.

VN Store

Back