Cigar /Pipe Smoking thread

Any good?

Yeah, I like it. I asked Rick what was good in the Macanudo’s and he suggested this and one other that I bought. I m trying to compare it to something else I’ve smoked but I can’t really think of anything right now.
It has a floral taste, with maybe a nutmeg and maybe a touch of lemon and cedar. Not a bad stick at all

Yeah, I like it. I asked Rick what was good in the Macanudo’s and he suggested this and one other that I bought. I m trying to compare it to something else I’ve smoked but I can’t really think of anything right now.
It has a floral taste, with maybe a nutmeg and maybe a touch of lemon and cedar. Not a bad stick at all
That sounds good. I'll have to add that one to my wish list.

Reactions: loggervol
What’s everyone smoking tonight? I know I can’t be the only one enjoying this evening on the porch….?????

Reactions: malinoisvol
Previously, several regulars to this thread have mentioned online cigar sellers - https://www.bestcigarprices.com/, Cigars International | Shop Cigars Online, Cigars & Pipes Online | Discount Tobacco... Is there a consensus for reliable quality, price, and service? From whom do you buy and why?
I’ve ordered from Famous Smokeshop and I’ve ordered from JR’s Cigars. They’ve both been reasonable and reliable. I’ll go with whichever has the lowest price and/or desired quantity I’m looking to purchase. My experience has been that any discount JR’s is offering has not been applicable to my purchases, due to brand exclusions, but I’ve been able to apply some discounts with Famous. I will say they both will keep your email inbox full, which can be aggravating, and they text regularly also. JR’s is probably worse for both of those, in my experience.

A few tips for the newer guys - The punch cut is great for a neat cut where you wont get unraveling everywhere. Also, its great for a shorter fatter cigar to slow down the smoke time a bit and allows you to get down into the nub because it will generally keep it from overheating, yet still provides a steady draw. Usually best for a round triple cap but I have used it for box press as well. Finally - very easy to carry a punch cutter with you on a key ring, etc or leave outside so you always have a clipper near by.

IMG_2121.jpeg

Now these Monte churchills are nice mellow smokes but there is a key to them. Note on this one I have a punch cut as above, even though I would probably be better off with a straight cut on this one, especially because it often has a constricted draw. I wanted to sip this one over a 2+ hr period though so I still went with the punch but now I make sure to roll the cigar between my fingers to open it up. You need to squish these between the thumb and forefinger and roll them around. Not to tight but you can feel the bunched areas and doing this will loosen them up and give you a perfectly nice draw out of these long cigars. Same can be done with any longer cigar or many with a tight draw.

IMG_2123.jpeg

Last edited:
Previously, several regulars to this thread have mentioned online cigar sellers - https://www.bestcigarprices.com/, Cigars International | Shop Cigars Online, Cigars & Pipes Online | Discount Tobacco... Is there a consensus for reliable quality, price, and service? From whom do you buy and why?

Thompson has the best deals on 5 packs (wait till they have 19.95 deals for 4+ packs)

Cigars international will have good sales and occasionally with have a 25% or 30% off everything (except top brands like padron, davidoff, ashton, etc) but that still leaves great stuff like ep carillo, oliva, aging room, etc. Good time to pick up boxes.

Atlantic Cigar generally has good prices on boxes and great 10 packs too

To fill up the box when I am not going cuban or premium - I spend some time on cigar bid. Lot of times you can get good deals there if you know what you are looking for.

Thompson has the best deals on 5 packs (wait till they have 19.95 deals for 4+ packs)

Cigars international will have good sales and occasionally with have a 25% or 30% off everything (except top brands like padron, davidoff, ashton, etc) but that still leaves great stuff like ep carillo, oliva, aging room, etc. Good time to pick up boxes.

Atlantic Cigar generally has good prices on boxes and great 10 packs too

To fill up the box when I am not going cuban or premium - I spend some time on cigar bid. Lot of times you can get good deals there if you know what you are looking for.
Thanks, G.

A few tips for the newer guys - The punch cut is great for a neat cut where you wont get unraveling everywhere. Also, its great for a shorter fatter cigar to slow down the smoke time a bit and allows you to get down into the nub because it will generally keep it from overheating, yet still provides a steady draw. Usually best for a round triple cap but I have used it for box press as well. Finally - very easy to carry a punch cutter with you on a key ring, etc or leave outside so you always have a clipper near by.

View attachment 545453

Now these Monte churchills are nice mellow smokes but there is a key to them. Note on this one I have a punch cut as above, even though I would probably be better off with a straight cut on this one, especially because it often has a constricted draw. I wanted to sip this one over a 2+ hr period though so I still went with the punch but now I make sure to roll the cigar between my fingers to open it up. You need to squish these between the thumb and forefinger and roll them around. Not to tight but you can feel the bunched areas and doing this will loosen them up and give you a perfectly nice draw out of these long cigars. Same can be done with any longer cigar or many with a tight draw.

View attachment 545454
I store all my tightly wrapped Cubans at 65% humidity and dry box them a day before I smoke them. Seems to help me get a nice easy draw.

VN Store

Back