Cigar /Pipe Smoking thread

Cigar novice here, in your various practiced experiences, what;s the average time to advance from mild to the more robust levels? Ignore if stupid question.

Really just try various things. Your tastes will change and also, there is nothing wrong with a good mild cigar. No one can tell you what a GOOD cigar is until you have one. Then you have 5 good cigars in a row and then try a not good one and you know the difference. I would say that Melanio or Oliva's Master Blend is a great stick with more flavor but still good for beginners.

I need some guidance. I bought a bigger humidor, seasoned it, moved all my sticks into it. It has a divider, so I have that in place and I've been keeping the humidity device on one side of that divider, against the wall. It has a digital hygrometer, so the humidity was hanging mostly around 67%. I would add distilled water to the humidity device as it was needed and finally was getting the number hanging more around 70%. A couple days ago, I noticed that my humidity was down to 63%, and then I noticed that I was getting mold on the wall next to the humidity device, so I took the device out, wiped the wall down really good, I put a Bovada pack in instead of the humidity device. Any other ideas???

Boveda all the way my friend. Once they dry out, put them in ziploc for 3 days with distilled water. They will plump up and you can get nearly a year out of them that way. No muss, no fuss. If your humidor is a bit leaky go with a 72% so it will even it out.

Thanks! I’ve been buying individuals upon suggestions from my neighboring cigar bar, but I’m ready to order a box from the app.

Like the man said, go 5 packs until you find some you really like. No need for a box yet.

Cigar novice here, in your various practiced experiences, what;s the average time to advance from mild to the more robust levels? Ignore if stupid question.
When what you're smoking no longer satisfies you. Some people never want a bolder taste. What you are drinking with it also matters. Someone drinking a bourbon will probably enjoy a cigar with a bold taste. Someone drinking champagne most likely will want a more mild taste.

I would try a gel humidity system if you don’t already have one. Most of the gel systems are clear and you can see if they’re creating mold unlike some of the other humidity systems.
Don't use Boveda packs with distilled water and Thermador inside together. I would do away from the humidor thermador and just use couple 72% Boveda packs and should be money

I wrapped my gazebo with clear tarps to help with the wind. Even with the heater going, it has been too cold for this big ole baby.
Feels great today, snow is melting. I’m enjoying an RP 15th Anniversary and longing for spring.

Attachments

• IMG_2991.jpeg
    IMG_2991.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 6
Dreary out, rain and foggy so perhaps I’m a litttle negative, but it is 58 degrees. I’ll take it.
Wanted to take a run at this guy because it’s such a handsome stick. Nice dark oily wrapper is gorgeous but looks better than it smokes. Touted to be medium to full bodied but so far more to the medium side. Not a lot of smoke, really need to double or triple pull to get the smoke rolling. Maybe noting some hints of cedar, coffee, peppery. Into the middle third, wrapper is beginning to come loose near the band( it’s a big band). Still not producing much smoke. Taste remains cedar ish and maybe bitter. Was really wanting to like this one. Picked it up in a 5 pack so at least it was cheaper. Don’t waste you money.IMG_8391.jpeg

Dreary out, rain and foggy so perhaps I’m a litttle negative, but it is 58 degrees. I’ll take it.
Wanted to take a run at this guy because it’s such a handsome stick. Nice dark oily wrapper is gorgeous but looks better than it smokes. Touted to be medium to full bodied but so far more to the medium side. Not a lot of smoke, really need to double or triple pull to get the smoke rolling. Maybe noting some hints of cedar, coffee, peppery. Into the middle third, wrapper is beginning to come loose near the band( it’s a big band). Still not producing much smoke. Taste remains cedar ish and maybe bitter. Was really wanting to like this one. Picked it up in a 5 pack so at least it was cheaper. Don’t waste you money.View attachment 614720
I liked the one I smoked. It wasn’t a flavor bomb but it wasn’t bad. No problems with the burn.

Reactions: Nkyvolfan
I liked the one I smoked. It wasn’t a flavor bomb but it wasn’t bad. No problems with the burn.
I had just pulled it out of the Humi where it had been for a while and it was humid out so maybe that’s the burn issue. I’ll try another one and let it dry box for a day or so. It felt really spongy at the final third. Who knows!! If it’s better I’ll report back.

Reactions: loggervol
Working from home enjoying this little gem. Actually a toro so not all that little. Very good cigar, lots of billowing goodness. Having with a cup of strong black coffee.IMG_8393.jpeg
Gonna be a nice finish. I think it was a five pack fever deal from Christmas. First of the five and will absolutely re order this.
IMG_8394.jpeg
Dang fine smoke.
IMG_8395.jpeg

Last edited:

VN Store

Back