Clarence Thomas in Hot Water (Alito too!)

Oh, so you're the free speech police now. Funny, you ignore the fact I said government officials in general are bought people, to focus only on CT. This tells me once again you just like nitpick posts for means to detour the topic off into irrelevant areas.

Yeah, I’m sure you only meant government officials in general and not the black man you called boy on the first page

Reactions: OrangeBoro
Not easy at all. Very subjective. Can he not ride on a boat with a friend because that boat ride could be valued by someone at $1000?

This guy is getting pretty extravagant vacations paid for. Easy to reject. Sorry, a judge needs to have different standards. If they cannot have higher standards then they don't need to be judges. PERIOD.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
This guy is getting pretty extravagant vacations paid for. Easy to reject. Sorry, a judge needs to have different standards. If they cannot have higher standards then they don't need to be judges. PERIOD.

Define that. What do you mean exactly by paid vacations? Did they pay for his family to spend a week at a Hilton or did they simply allow a friend to use their property?

Yeah, I’m sure you only meant government officials in general and not the black man you called boy on the first page

Vol8188, is just a pelican. His beak holds more than his belican. I'll be darn if I know how the helican.
1680805155300.png

Last edited:
Just to be clear you believe he’s likely the one who has ever rode on a friends boat or stayed at a friends home?

Or do you think we should remove all 9?
I don't think the issue is he accepted gifts from friends, the issue is he lied about it. Why lie about it? He knew he shouldn't be doing it. Same reason anyone lies.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
VNs very own Donald Trump. You never know what he will say “your dad killed Kennedy!”, you just know it won’t make any sense

Oh my! You put me in the same sentence as your hero Donnie Trump!?? Wooo! I've made the big time now. :cool:
Wanna buy a WoodsmanVol hugging Donnie t-shirt? Normally, it's $84.99, but for you, it's free. Wooooo!

I don't think the issue is he accepted gifts from friends, the issue is he lied about it. Why lie about it? He knew he shouldn't be doing it. Same reason anyone lies.

Is riding on your friends boat a gift? And what has he ever lied about? Can you show me where he’s ever denied any of this?

Oh but Hunter Biden, who has no official government position, is much worse than a Supreme Court Justice accepting hundreds of thousands of dollars in free trips, flights on private jets and trips on super yachts without reporting them.

Hypocrisy, it's what's for dinner.

Oh but Hunter Biden, who has no official government position, is much worse than a Supreme Court Justice accepting hundreds of thousands of dollars in free trips, flights on private jets and trips on super yachts without reporting them.

Hypocrisy, it's what's for dinner.

he didn't have to report them

You need a higher standard than corruption to ruin the career of a Supreme Court justice? Seriously? (I assume you'd say the same of Trump.) What's your standard--a mass shooting by Thomas?

This is the highest court in America. The justices are expected to have ethical standards but the conservatives clearly don't. Scalia was much the same. Justices shouldn't be speaking at political events--but the conservatives do it. I've not read of similar behavior by the progressives on SCOTUS, and if they do they should be called out, too. You don't go on expensive junkets with political activists and corporate executives if you're a judge. This isn't rocket science--but apparently it is for some people. This is a man whose wife is a wacky extremist and who helped organize the Jan. 6 insurrection and Thomas did not recuse himself from a case related to the riot. He's a fraud.

Clarence Thomas has always been a joke. Besides being corrupt, he's the biggest lightweight in the history of the court. He should never have been nominated in the first place. He went 10 years--10 years--without asking a question during oral arguments before the court. He's just a water carrier for conservative issues and always been---has never shown any independent judgment. Most Supremes do in fact show independent judgment on some cases--they do not follow their judicial leanings (progressive, conservative) on every case. That's not the case with Thomas.

Pathetic. Those 3 token females on the bench vote lockstep for the leftist.

I think it raises an ethical issue only if:

1) the guy had a case in front of the court, or stood to benefit directly from one;

2) the guy was able to benefit indirectly by Thomas telling how a ruling was going to come down, i.e. he bought or sold stock based on an upcoming ruling; or,

3) it broke an actual rule not to report it.

Have not seen anything on 1 or 2, yet. 3 seems to be the issue but that gets awfully technical and so will not judge him on that yet.

These are the benchmarks to go by. There is no question that a person has influence simply by virtue of having access. That said, unless there is a reasonably clear quid pro quo, it is much to do about nothing.

When it came to RBG, one assumes that most leftist leaning people would be happy to pay for her fare to have her around and discuss things because they supported her general progressive philosophy, not because they were actively seeking to flip her on a particular case. Same with Thomas.

Back when I used to run the GOP, I used to co-host a monthly soiree (aka poker night) regularly attended by city council members, judges and state senators, head of the major crime bureau, etc. Both sides of the isle. We all had a fun time and we supplied plenty of top shelf alcohol and cigars (they never paid). We certainly talked about things, judges always knew not to discuss current matters before their bench, pols discussed things as well. Do I think anyone felt obligated to change their vote or opinion because of these? no, but maybe we changed some opinions through open discussions.

Now I have a good friend who was a state supreme justice and sometimes he would talk about cases before the bench when we were having a private cigar but only in the most general way. More likely discussing the issues around the case than the case itself. I already knew how he would typically come down in most cases anyway because he was my friend and I know his philosophy but sometimes he did surprise me with some cases I heard about how he had ruled on.

Fly you to bahamas with me to stay the weekend and have a few drinks, etc. Lets go hunting in Nebraska, etc - Ill pick up the tab. So that kind of thing is just going to happen. Hey, I have a guy who can repair your boat and redo the dock on your vacation home, dont worry Ill pay for it - thats where you start getting in trouble.

Not easy at all. Very subjective. Can he not ride on a boat with a friend because that boat ride could be valued by someone at $1000?
Do you think a boat ride is the only thing that Clarence has accepted from him? Until we know the depth of the “relationship”, I think it’s too early for anybody to speculate. Guessing there is more to come.

Do you think a boat ride is the only thing that Clarence has accepted from him? Until we know the depth of the “relationship”, I think it’s too early for anybody to speculate. Guessing there is more to come.
Looks like he's been vacationing with the guy for over two decades. Show me where Thomas was some how involved in a legal matter that benefited his friend and you might change my mind. Until then this is dumb

Reactions: hog88

VN Store

Back