College Football is officially a joke

No doubt it was a very tough decision. It's just maddening to me when folks say "it should be the four best teams." That's essentially saying the game results don't really matter. For example, the "four best teams" this year would have to include Georgia. "But they lost in their conference championship game." Well, FSU won theirs. So, which is it???
GA could very well be included, but with other conference champs that are healthy (Texas), I don't think you can have 2 teams in the same conference get in.

And while I am against FSU getting left out, I do find it ironic that Jim Phillips was one of the reasons the playoffs haven't already been expanded. Now he is complaining about his undefeated conference champion getting snubbed.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Then why did they keep them in the top 4 after beating Florida? They're back up didn't play in the title game and would've more than likely have been ready for the playoffs.

If they were top 4 after Florida with their no. 2. Then they should be top 4 after winning their conference title with their 3rd string qb, when they'd be getting their no.2 back by the playoffs. If anything they proved themselves more worthy of being in the playoffs.
Nothing about it makes sense. The folks arguing whether FSU is a top 4 team have legit arguments. What they can’t explain is if FSU was #4 last week and won a conference championship game, how does Texas jump them by beating a 9-3 Ok St. team that got hammered blown out by Sourh Alabama and UCF?

But they didn’t put the 4 best teams in. Because if they did then UGA and OSU would be in. OSU is better than Washington IMO and would beat them on a neutral field. So no you beat teams argument fails. Liberty is a bad example. They aren’t a P5 school.

Since the playoffs have started, can you name the undefeated P5 champs that have been left out of the CFP.
I agree that Georgia is still a top 4 team. We can talk about others all you want but the fact of the matter is that FSU is not a top 4 team now.

Nothing about it makes sense. The folks arguing whether FSU is a top 4 team have legit arguments. What they can’t explain is if they were #4 last week and won a conference championship game, how does Texas jump them by beating a 9-3 Ok St. team that got hammered blown out by Sourh Alabama and UCF?
Because you can't put Bama in the playoffs without Texas since the Horns won in Tuscaloosa.

Then why did they keep them in the top 4 after beating Florida? They're back up didn't play in the title game and would've more than likely have been ready for the playoffs.

If they were top 4 after Florida with their no. 2. Then they should be top 4 after winning their conference title with their 3rd string qb, when they'd be getting their no.2 back by the playoffs. If anything they proved themselves more worthy of being in the playoffs.
I'm not on the committee. But they were able to see a huge dropoff, just like the rest of us.

Explain. Let’s say we made the playoffs and blew out Texas 65-7. What’s the issue?
TCU was outmatched and outclassed in every way. I did not think they should have been in the playoff because they clearly weren't a top 4 team. They were put in because the won their crappy conference. Big deal. Perhaps the committee doesn't want to make that mistake again?

So you watched the FSU Louisville game and are convinced that FSU has a shot at winning a national championship?

Considering that when the bowl game comes around, they will indeed not have a 3rd string freshmen starting at QB, they are just as talented as the teams in the playoff with plenty of 4/5 star guys around the ball.....

Reactions: tnvolswmd
I agree that Georgia is still a top 4 team. We can talk about others all you want but the fact of the matter is that FSU is not a top 4 team now.
FSU not being a top 4 team is an opinion not a fact, where are they ranked in the polls? How many games have they won and lost?

FSU not being a top 4 team is an opinion not a fact, where are they ranked in the polls? How many games have they won and lost?
Polls don't matter for the playoff, only the committee. Liberty is 13-0 as well. Why aren't they in?

TCU was outmatched and outclassed in every way. I did not think they should have been in the playoff because they clearly weren't a top 4 team. They were put in because the won their crappy conference. Big deal. Perhaps the committee doesn't want to make that mistake again?
TCU did pretty well against MIchigan, what makes anyone think that Michigan had any more of a chance to beat Ga when the couldn't even make it passed TCU?

Polls don't matter for the playoff, only the committee. Liberty is 13-0 as well. Why aren't they in?
Then just pick the 4 palyoff teams preseason and be done with it. There's no reason to play regular season games! By the way you'r argument about Liberty and the polls.... last I looked they are 24.

Funny enough, TCU did NOT win the conference.

Why play regular season games then?
Why play at all?

Having only a 4 team playoff is ridiculous. There are 5 "Power" (So stupid) conferences. There will always be one or more conference champs left out. They'd be in if they had competent or at least mildly impressive backup QB's. But they don't and they're clearly not a top 4 team now and that's all that matters.

They're supposed to choose the best 4, they've gone with deserving several times before to terrible conclusions. They finally do it right and you all are losing your minds.

Bold - So? They haven't had this situation yet. And the ACC is awful so winning that conference is not impressive at all.

FSU is not a top 4 team right now. They're not and that's what is "Supposed" to matter.
The ACC is “awful” when they are 6 and 4 against SEC teams? Illogical.

Again, answer the question. If it’s the “best four”, how do you justify TCU and Cincinnati in past seasons? You can’t. They were certainly not among the “best four” in those years. All I ask for is consistency and the committee has never shown that.

Saw Kirby on the tube last night. He was begging and just about crying to get the dawgs in. All the GA. fans were bitching about the refs
and calls. I told them, welcome to the club. All the ADs need to get together (with film) and take to it to Birmingham and show the SEC
how one sided the penalties are when playing the tide (like that's going to happen). Lots of my FSU friends were mad as hell. I can't blame them.
If you play in a major conference and are 13-0, they should be in the playoffs.

Who the teams played shouldn’t matter. Clemson is proof of that. Wins and losses are what matters. If you want to make the argument about putting the best teams in then UGA should be in there. And so should Ohio State. But they aren’t? Why? They both have a loss.

But because it’s Nick Saban and Alabama, they get in. Would we have gotten in if we were in Bamas shoes? No.
As always, you’re making noises, but not making any sense. Read the committee criteria. Bama beat the number one team last night, had the fifth hardest schedule and won the hardest conference. FSU has a serious problem with their offense due to losing such a key piece. This particular year presented the ultimate impossible choice. Someone was going to be disappointed. It might as well be you.

Based on the final rankings, I think you’re right which makes them being ranked #4 last week even more perplexing.
I’m guessing the committee left it like that to see how they looked against Louisville without Travis. Had they blown out Louisville or even won convincingly I think FSU ends up at #4.

They felt like FSU without Travis was not the same team and used last nights ugly game as justification.

I’d have FSU in there but the consideration of absent players or coaches and how it might affect an upcoming game was put into the items the cfp comm are required to consider. This is what happens when important events are left to subjective opinion.

Reactions: Doberman
What this basically says is that wins and losses don’t really matter in the end. Win your conference? Doesn’t matter. Go undefeated? Doesn’t matter. The only real thing that matters is the name of your team and who your coach is.
That’s the real story here. Add the conference you play in. The SEC carries a lot of weight.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

VN Store

Back