College Football is officially a joke

This is a great post ... except, had Bama been left out we would have had the same exact post. Can you imagine the absolute best conference in America having no rep in the playoff bc the others got to rl through a patsy schedule undefeated? You guys surely had to see this exact thing coming when the 4 team playoff was instituted. Ranting and name calling is pointless. You could go back to the pre BCS days where if UM beat UW in the Rose Bowl, then they would be VOTED the national champion even tho UA & UGA played harder schedules and even tho FSU won their bowl as an undefeated.
Do you REALLY think that's fair? And unfortunately expansion to 12 teams will do absolutely NOTHING to reduce "unfairness" when it lands. The disaffected will be screaming injustice, calling the committee fools, calling CF a joke, and they'll be clamouring for a 16 or 32 team playoff to solve it ... And it won't.

Reactions: Stoerner Fumbles
The ACC is “awful” when they are 6 and 4 against SEC teams? Illogical.

Again, answer the question. If it’s the “best four”, how do you justify TCU and Cincinnati in past seasons? You can’t. They were certainly not among the “best four” in those years. All I ask for is consistency and the committee has never shown that.
Yes they are awful.

I already answered this hours ago, may or may not have been you though. It's always supposed to have been best 4. The committee went with "deserving" more than once and had terrible teams. This year they correct their past mistakes and you guys lose your minds. It's entertaining.

You left out the part after “Bama lost to a top 4 team”. It should have continued that “FSU did not lose to any team”.
If FSU played Bama's schedule,would they be 13-0? Not a chance! And the committee knew they didn't want another TCU type game .Kinda like this years Orange Bowl. Sorry FSU beat down coming down the tracks !

TCU was outmatched and outclassed in every way. I did not think they should have been in the playoff because they clearly weren't a top 4 team. They were put in because the won their crappy conference. Big deal. Perhaps the committee doesn't want to make that mistake again?
How did they beat Michigan in the semifinal? A team who had just blown out Ohio State, who took Georgia to the wire in the other semi? Crazy things happen. That's why you can't simply take who we think are the "four best teams." Games should matter.

Who the teams played shouldn’t matter. Clemson is proof of that. Wins and losses are what matters. If you want to make the argument about putting the best teams in then UGA should be in there. And so should Ohio State. But they aren’t? Why? They both have a loss.

But because it’s Nick Saban and Alabama, they get in. Would we have gotten in if we were in Bamas shoes? No.

Not sure about your first sentence, but your last paragraph is spot on.

Yes they are awful.

I already answered this hours ago, may or may not have been you though. It's always supposed to have been best 4. The committee went with "deserving" more than once and had terrible teams. This year they correct their past mistakes and you guys lose your minds. It's entertaining.

No team is "entitled" to a playoff spot on the premise that they "deserve" it. Part of earning that position is signing up, years in advance, for a schedule that TOP TO BOTTOM reflects playing the best.

The perception problem the ACC has, whether you agree with it or not, is that in some years they have one team that excels but the rest of the conference is basically a bunch of Vanderbilts.

So, on the whole, even that ACC team that excels has the flavor of weakness based on the fact that over the course of a season they are not facing challenges at the level of the SEC.

Reactions: just bob
Georgia had their playoff last night. They lost.

They are overrated. They haven't played anyone this year. They didn't play anyone last year. They have LOTS (and I mean LOTS of talent), and crummy coaching. Always have. Kirby is no Saban.

I'm glad we can move on from them.
FSU had their playoff game last night. They won. And, I despise Georgia, but your take on them is hilarious. They just had one of the most dominant runs in CFB history.

Yes they are awful.

Is Michigan better than UGA?
Is Washington better than UGA?
Is Texas better than UGA?

If you answer no to any one of those questions then the committee did not do their job and put the 4 best teams in.

They put deserving teams in and FSU was just as deserving as any of the other 3.

And unfortunately expansion to 12 teams will do absolutely NOTHING to reduce "unfairness" when it lands. The disaffected will be screaming injustice, calling the committee fools, calling CF a joke, and they'll be clamouring for a 16 or 32 team playoff to solve it ... And it won't.
I disagree. There might be some teams complaining but I don’t think any tears will be shed for the “injustice” of a few 2 and 3 loss teams being ranked 13 or worse.

FSU is a team deserving of a spot. 2 loss somebody that didn’t even qualify for a conference championship is lucky to get a spot.

As long as subjective rankings play a factor there will always be some controversy. I think 12 teams can lessen that compared to this years playoff.

Reactions: tnvolswmd
I'm not on the committee. But they were able to see a huge dropoff, just like the rest of us.

Interesting that "The Committee" replaced & supposedly improved BCS computer driven model approach where influencers behind the scenes were diluted due to all the blended calcs. That didn't go over so well, so back to cigar smoke filled rooms we went!

The BCS had FSU, with a 3rd string qb, play a certain undefeated team long ago... it was a good, competitive game.

Reactions: sami and adam.vol
Yes they are awful.

And as I said, I want consistency. The committee has no criteria if they change it every season to justify who they screw. And that has happened year after year. They have been exposed for what they are. Hypocrites. Can’t ever take the playoffs seriously if they continue to change the rules.

If you answer no to any one of those questions then the committee did not do their job and put the 4 best teams in.

They put deserving teams in and FSU was just as deserving as any of the other 3.
I have never said the committee got the 4 best teams. I have stated that they got it right by excluding FSU. I think Georgia is a top 4 team.

Reactions: Doberman
And as I said, I want consistency. The committee has no criteria if they change it every season to justify who they screw. And that has happened year after year. They have been exposed for what they are. Hypocrites. Can’t ever take the playoffs seriously if they continue to change the rules.
I want it right. They were always supposed to consider the things they considered today. FSU is not a top 4 team now.

Interesting that "The Committee" replaced & supposedly improved BCS computer driven model approach where influencers behind the scenes were diluted due to all the blended calcs. That didn't go over so well, so back to cigar smoke filled rooms we went!

The BCS had FSU, with a 3rd string qb, play a certain undefeated team long ago... it was a good, competitive game.
The committee has representative from some schools but not every school. It's ridiculous. College Football is the best sport there is and the postseason is the worst of any sport. It's ridiculous, it's always determined by opinion. 4 teams is ridiculously low when there are about 130 FBS teams. 24 teams, like the FCS, is the best way.

I'm glad we played against Outzen because I don't think we would have beaten them otherwise. It's almost as if they weren't nearly as good without Weinke. Kansas St and UCLA both crapped the bed to help FSU and Outzen had already proven he had a pulse. Neither FSU backup QB's can say that.

Reactions: I4Vols
I don't think that is true. The only reason they put Texas at 3 was because it was the only way to get Bama in.
Texas has one of the largest TV fan bases in the country and the most influential AD of any team. They also have a legitimately good team. They were in regardless of the SEC winner.

Reactions: Doberman
This is a great post ... except, had Bama been left out we would have had the same exact post. Can you imagine the absolute best conference in America having no rep in the playoff bc the others got to rl through a patsy schedule undefeated? You guys surely had to see this exact thing coming when the 4 team playoff was instituted. Ranting and name calling is pointless. You could go back to the pre BCS days where if UM beat UW in the Rose Bowl, then they would be VOTED the national champion even tho UA & UGA played harder schedules and even tho FSU won their bowl as an undefeated.
Do you REALLY think that's fair? And unfortunately expansion to 12 teams will do absolutely NOTHING to reduce "unfairness" when it lands. The disaffected will be screaming injustice, calling the committee fools, calling CF a joke, and they'll be clamouring for a 16 or 32 team playoff to solve it ... And it won't.
Except bammer did have one loss as the semi-noles had ZERO LOSSES. They voted,apparently, for best game scenarios versus what would be right.

Something about George Orwell and “Animal Farm” should be injected here.

Reactions: sami and DuckInAPen
No team is "entitled" to a playoff spot on the premise that they "deserve" it. Part of earning that position is signing up, years in advance, for a schedule that TOP TO BOTTOM reflects playing the best.

The perception problem the ACC has, whether you agree with it or not, is that in some years they have one team that excels but the rest of the conference is basically a bunch of Vanderbilts.

So, on the whole, even that ACC team that excels has the flavor of weakness based on the fact that over the course of a season they are not facing challenges at the level of the SEC.
Outside of Georgia, Alabama, and maybe Missouri & Ole Miss there's not much challenge to playing an SEC team. Hate to think it but that's the truth in 2023. Ole Miss & Missouri are just random inconsistent outliers that could probably lose to a SC or KY any given day. In the past everyone complained Clemson never played anyone yet they thumped Alabama. Winning every game on the schedule matters. We don't know Alabama or Georgia would beat FSU unless they played. That's what we love about college football anyways. Sometimes good teams mess up and the ones nobody gives a chance win. Alabama has no business in this playoff. They get special treatment any way you look at it.

VN Store

Back