College Football is officially a joke

This is a post full of dumb but I’ll just hit the last point as there’s too much dumb to undo here. The committee seemingly disagrees as FSU is ranked ahead of both Georgia and Ohio State, which is partially why this is dumb. If the committee were consistently applying the criteria then so be it but they’re not. That’s the problem.

The committee picks the winners and then writes the criteria to support it, consistency be damned.

Reactions: hUTch2002
This whole idea that anyone's opinion of who will win shouldn't be a factor unless comparing 2 otherwise equal teams. The committee moved past this and put opinion over record. I give a flying F*** about FSU but I have always loved the sport. The committee just killed the sport. FSU can lose their Bowl by 35 points and I will still believe they EARNED their final 4 spot. Texas EARNED their spot by beating Bama. Same record both conference Champs so H2H wins. The issue is how did both Texas and Bama jump FSU. FSU beat a higher ranked team to win their conference than Texas did (Fact) and got jumped. Jordan Travis was injured on November 18th and the committee didn't drop the Seminoles then so shame on them for applying this now. If it's part of their ranking system then do it in real time. FSU should be 3 and TX 4. But to get Bama in they moved Texas to 3 from 7 after beating number 18. FSU went from 4 to 5 after beating number 14. That should never make sense and trying to justify doing this is f'n nuts.
One of the problems with this idea is that rankings are subjective and based on the eye test, just like the committee. The whole sports hierarchy is based on the opinions of sportswriters who vote in the AP poll, SIDs who vote in the coaches poll, or a committee who ranks them at the end of the year.

They are all based on the eye test, emotion, and ratings.

Ahh so it being the first game of the season means it doesn’t count, and a win on the road against FLA doesn’t count either as quality wins. Got it.
You realize florida isn't even bowl eligible this year right?

I think it’s clear most people are mad about FSU getting snubbed. And once again, where is this coming from that they would get blown out. Are we back to predicting outcomes as a denominator for the playoff now where the body of work doesn’t matter? If so, that’s fine but don’t sit here and say it’s being done the same year after year.
I don’t think they’re predicting outcomes as much as they’re predicting the best matchups.

Without Jordan Travis, FSU isn’t a top 4 team. It’s not as good of a matchup against as a team at full strength.

The problem with that is you have some say in who the teams are on your schedule. If you pick a bunch of cupcakes and just barely win, even though you are undefeated it has some impact on how your team is viewed.
Yes, Flordia State is an undefeated conference champion. But there is no way they are one of the 4 best teams in the nation. Michigan, Washington, Bama, and Georgia would beat the brakes off of Florida State. They have a good defense but their offense is weak and now they are playing with a backup QB. There was no way the SEC Champion was not going to be in the playoffs. JMHO
Ridiculous take

I don’t think they’re predicting outcomes as much as they’re predicting the best matchups.

Without Jordan Travis, FSU isn’t a top 4 team. It’s not as good of a matchup against as a team at full strength.
There is nothing to suggest that.... The only way to settle that is to play the game....

And once again, the CFP had no issues keeping FSU in the top 4 without Travis for 2 weeks.... So obviously they considered them one of the 4 best without Travis. Nothing has changed since that Tuesday ranking after he got hurt to now.

The weekend opened with Georgia as 13.5-point neutral site favorites over Florida State per DraftKings. On FanDuel, the line now has Georgia as a 14-point favorite.

Reactions: reecetn
Great. Now we got CNN clueless TV personalities trying to discuss college football.

"It ain't fair. It ain't fair. They are doing best versus more deserving. It is about ratings. Yada Yada Yada Yada."

The whining and gnashing of teeth in this thread is snowflake level. Some of yall will really jump off the building if Alabama wins it all. I think that is where the crying is coming from.

This is one of those years where 6 teams can make a case. As someone else said Georgia may still be the best team and was a victim of some bad calls. I suspect they beat FSU by 2 or 3 touchdowns and FSU will still be crying because the playoffs would possibly be easier than facing Georgia.

Last edited:
Reactions: igotworms
If FSU played Bama's schedule,would they be 13-0? Not a chance! And the committee knew they didn't want another TCU type game .Kinda like this years Orange Bowl. Sorry FSU beat down coming down the tracks !

"The committee knew ....."

Those words pretty much define the entire process and what a joke it is and always has been. If the results aren't the final arbiter if the committee "knows" better, then what's the point?

I'm not arguing that FSU is better, but they were in the field last week and held up their end of the bargain. So because the committee "knew" they weren't as good, they are out? Why play the damn games?

My problem with it has always been the utter lack of consistency. No undefeated conference champ has ever been left out ..... until now. It's to "identify" the four best, yet TCU got in last year. If they said from the beginning that winning your conference wasn't as important as how you "look" to the committee, then I'd have no issue with these four. But they had FSU in last week without Travis, and talked of the importance of winning the conference and being unbeaten. Until it wasn't.

I'd like to know how they decided that Alabama was better because of Travis' injury, but Georgia wasn't? As if throwing FSU that bone makes up for shutting them out of the playoff?

Bottom line - the four best teams still aren't in, because Georgia beats most of them, and the committee "knows" that too. The whole thing is about "choosing" winners, much the same as the government.

Just because Florida beat tennesee doesn't mean they are good. The beat LSU first game of the season. It would be a different story today. One tuff game doesn't prove anything.
Florida could field 11 Pop Warner kids and still beat Tennessee 😡
The fact that we lost this season to a Florida team that didn’t even get a bowl bid is a shame that we will never live down

Reactions: Volfan76
You know, i DESPISE Alabama. But you gotta give the man his sue; Saban probably did the best job coaching of his entire career this season. The team he started out with had no business becoming this good. And developing Milroe intonation QB was pretty amazing

Reactions: 1973Vol
TCU says the same thing. FSU barely beat BC. Alabama would roast FSU in a bowl game and Alabama would easily be undefeated with FSUs schedule. As much as I dislike bama, they are the better team.
. . . and they literally were a miracle away from losing to a .500 team 10 days ago. Props to Bama for getting it done when it mattered against UGA, but don't tell me what "would" happen. Transitive property assumptions are always shaky in college football.

In other words . . . what Dan Mullen said . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckInAPen

Even WITH Travis at QB, the ACC crew had to call 18 (EIGHTEEN) penalties against lowly Boston College to keep BC from kicking the FG to win vs FSU....it was THE worst hose job I have ever seen by officials, and thats including the 11 consecutive quarters of SEC play we had this year without a single "live ball" penalty by our 3 opponents. The last 2 posessions BC had were blatant ...the refs literally kept BC from getting into FG range with holding calls, off pass int, illegal procedure....you name it. 18 penalties is the most ever called against BC in history, and they have played ball for a long time.

I totally get FSU being undefeated and them being left out unprecedented....but they played and beat nobody all season. Hell the Louisville team that just took them to the wire....got beat by Kentucky last weekend. Kentucky that finished 4th in the SEC east...

So you think Florida is a good team? True they beat us or should I say we beat ourselves. They are not ranked and are not going to a bowl. Not sure a win over them is a big win.
I think it was. It was in the swamp never easy to win there and they did it with their backup. FSU has got SEC level talent across the board

You realize florida isn't even bowl eligible this year right?
So that doesn't count either, got it.

Look, I'm not saying you aren't right. What I'm saying is you play who is on your schedule. They are undefeated and have 2 power 5 out of conference wins on the road and one of those is a more impressive win than Bama had with a common opponent. Who else in the top 5 has done that? And if FSU "should have played better opponents" then compare Michigan's schedule and tell me it isn't comprable.

If it's the 4 best - then I agree, FSU should be out. It should be Bama, UGA, Michigan, and OSU.

If it is the 4 most deserving - It should be Michigan, Washington, Texas, and FSU.

So which should it be in your opinion? Pick one, but please stop with the mixing and matching of justification based on which team you are arguing.

At the end of the day we got neither of those. Justification for Michigan, Washington, Texas was most deserving. Justification for Bama was best. That is inconsistent and demonstrates clear bias. FSU played their conference schedule and went with 2 power 5 foes on the road for OOC. They did everything that was asked, they can't help it FLA wasn't bowl eligible this year.

Reactions: tnvolswmd and sami
Even WITH Travis at QB, the ACC crew had to call 18 (EIGHTEEN) penalties against lowly Boston College to keep BC from kicking the FG to win vs FSU....it was THE worst hose job I have ever seen by officials, and thats including the 11 consecutive quarters of SEC play we had this year without a single "live ball" penalty by our 3 opponents. The last 2 posessions BC had were blatant ...the refs literally kept BC from getting into FG range with holding calls, off pass int, illegal procedure....you name it. 18 penalties is the most ever called against BC in history, and they have played ball for a long time.

I totally get FSU being undefeated and them being left out unprecedented....but they played and beat nobody all season. Hell the Louisville team that just took them to the wire....got beat by Kentucky last weekend. Kentucky that finished 4th in the SEC east...

The issue though as that there are 5 big conferences going for 4 spots. There could never be a precedent that an undefeated champion has to be put in, because there's always been a chance that all 5 would be undefeated. What then?

It sucks for FSU. And while the committee can say "strength of schedule" or whatever, the real reason is because Travis got hurt. And I'm OK with it. I think this top 4 gives us great playoff matchups with the most even teams.

All sports are rigged. Packer Chiefs game a total pay off from someone last night. Every game I watch these days thrown by officiating. Listening to my cousin go off on the selection committee and rail about FSU getting left out.

VN Store

Back