College Football is officially a joke

Two 1 loss conference champions in over an undefeated conference champion?
Gone are the days of results on the field. 2 years in a row Bama has gotten a bump for the "how they look". It's no longer just about winning but people's opinions truly matter more. The game has become down right pathetic. College Football is a complete joke on all levels.
TBF, using a committee to select the playoffs has always been a joke. Its not new this year.

The 12 team playoffs will help, but there will still be teams left out. It may even be worse...LOL

All you can do is play a reasonably decent schedule. Which FSU did not.

Let's be objective here from multiple angles. All you can do is play a tough OOC schedule, and win your conference games. On paper, FSU OOC schedule would've been potentially formidable - LSU and Florida. Florida is not playing like the Florida powerhouse of the past, and LSU is only the 5th best team in the SEC. They won all of their conference games but the real issue is a weak ACC is not respected this year. Let's face it, Louisville isn't the 14/15 best team in the country regardless of what the rankings say and that is the ACC's 2nd best team.

Reactions: BradentonVol
Guess I will wait for some results to see if the committee should be roasted for passing on FSU. If GA kills them any where close to what they did to TCU, then not so much. The case for Bama was head to head win over GA thus the BEST win, and even though it was way early in the season, the best loss to TX. SEC game became a play-in game.

I would have been good with neither GA or Bama in. A double dynasty killer. HOWEVER, getting one in was probably key to landing the bowl we did, so I am a bit conflicted. Got to be a better piece to play to recruits as we head toward ESD. Our outcome will impact SD and our portal success I would think. They all know how to rank the bowls too.

TBF, using a committee to select the playoffs has always been a joke. Its not new this year.

The 12 team playoffs will help, but there will still be teams left out. It may even be worse...LOL
The 12 team will help. There's a big difference between let's use TX and Ole Miss or, as many (including Vegas) are pointing out, GA and FSU.

Those guys will get to the prom and get Carrie-d and ESPN makes more money, the NCAA makes more money, and nobody will REALLY care when it's #13 being left behind and not #5.

Reactions: camp_steveo
Let's be objective here from multiple angles. All you can do is play a tough OOC schedule, and win your conference games. On paper, FSU OOC schedule would've been potentially formidable - LSU and Florida. Florida is not playing like the Florida powerhouse of the past, and LSU is only the 5th best team in the SEC. They won all of their conference games but the real issue is a weak ACC is not respected this year. Let's face it, Louisville isn't the 14/15 best team in the country regardless of what the rankings say and that is the ACC's 2nd best team.
This is where I'm at. People talk about how the SEC was down this year, but the ACC was REALLY down. Clemson is the Alabama/Georgia of the ACC and they had a season like Tennessee did. The SEC had 4 teams with double digit wins this year, in the ACC, Florida State was the only one.

Outside of FSU the only other decent team In the ACC was Louisville and they got beat by Kentucky and an L to Pitt. NC State was 9-3 but they lost to both of the ranked teams they played this year and they never had to play FSU. I would say FSUs most impressive win of the year came against LSU, not even in their own conference.

People need to stop with the fake outrage over FSU. The ACC is very watered down and the ACC will be the next conference to fall to expansion now that the B12 has been gutted and the Pac12 has been destroyed. There's a reason FSU wanted out of the ACC so badly because they saw this kind of disrespect coming their way.

Bottom line is the committee has a job to pick the 4 best teams, not the "most deserving" teams whatever that means. Alabama is objectively better than FSU. IMO so is Georgia. Both of those teams had better resumes than FSU.

The committee needed to see FSU blowout a very mediocre Florida team to show that they were still a quality team without Travis. Honestly, if Florida didnt make stupid penalties over and over again w/ their backup QB the Gators probably win. Go to this past weekend. Another opportunity for FSU to flex its muscles against a mediocre Louisville team, don’t let the ranking fool you. They just lost to Kentucky. They were lucky to survive again. The committee needed to see a Cardale Jones moment, where they scored a million points and it was never in doubt. It didn’t happen . FSU would not have beaten anyone that played this past weekend other than maybe Oklahoma St or Iowa.

The committee needed to see FSU blowout a very mediocre Florida team to show that they were still a quality team without Travis. Honestly, if Florida didnt make stupid penalties over and over again w/ their backup QB the Gators probably win. Go to this past weekend. Another opportunity for FSU to flex its muscles against a mediocre Louisville team, don’t let the ranking fool you. They just lost to Kentucky. They were lucky to survive again. The committee needed to see a Cardale Jones moment, where they scored a million points and it was never in doubt. It didn’t happen . FSU would not have beaten anyone that played this past weekend other than maybe Oklahoma St or Iowa.
Given the offenses and defenses of FSU and Iowa, that game might possibly have been scoreless into the 7th OT.

"Okay guys, let's let each offense line up against the cheerleaders and see if they can score...."

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I can see this too, but wonder if after giving TCU a pass on the loss last year they feared giving FSU a pass on the loss of QB and getting drilled in the semi game. If FSU hangs with GA, then the heat will really turn up.

"The committee knew ....."

Those words pretty much define the entire process and what a joke it is and always has been. If the results aren't the final arbiter if the committee "knows" better, then what's the point?

I'm not arguing that FSU is better, but they were in the field last week and held up their end of the bargain. So because the committee "knew" they weren't as good, they are out? Why play the damn games?

My problem with it has always been the utter lack of consistency. No undefeated conference champ has ever been left out ..... until now. It's to "identify" the four best, yet TCU got in last year. If they said from the beginning that winning your conference wasn't as important as how you "look" to the committee, then I'd have no issue with these four. But they had FSU in last week without Travis, and talked of the importance of winning the conference and being unbeaten. Until it wasn't.

I'd like to know how they decided that Alabama was better because of Travis' injury, but Georgia wasn't? As if throwing FSU that bone makes up for shutting them out of the playoff?

Bottom line - the four best teams still aren't in, because Georgia beats most of them, and the committee "knows" that too. The whole thing is about "choosing" winners, much the same as the government.
Every bit of this. Meanwhile some are playing mental gymnastics pivoting between "best" and "deserving" arguments to justify the committee decision. Just call it what it is, 13 people picking the winners. Game results evidently don't trump that approach.

Reactions: sami
Stuff like this is why I'm all in favor of the playoff expansion. I don't want to hear any crap about "the regular season is a playoff" or "it makes the regular season not mean anything."

It already clearly doesn't mean much.

Bama Michigan will be a better game than FSU. IMO, it was not an easy decision, but from money, viewership, and competitiveness, it is the "right" choice. I hate Bama, though, and would have laughed my ass off if no SEC team got in. We could see from the poor calls in the Bama VS UGA game that Bama has the most pull in the conference and country.

Every bit of this. Meanwhile some are playing mental gymnastics pivoting between "best" and "deserving" arguments to justify the committee decision. Just call it what it is, 13 people picking the winners. Game results evidently don't trump that approach.
Game results absolutely matter. That's why Bama got picked. They beat better teams than FSU did.

Otherwise just throw Liberty in the CFP. They were undefeated too.

Every time somebody on the radio or TV or on this board says "The committee is supposed to pick the 4 best teams and that's what they did" is cringy, because they didn't. They weren't even close without UGA and possibly OSU in the final 4.

Is FSU better than Bama? Probably not, but UGA would be favored over every other team in the top 4 except maybe Bama, so when saying they picked the 4 "best" that needs to be called out loudly.

The committee picked the 3 most deserving and 1 best team. In terms of "best" and "deserving" what we have is neither.

Every time somebody on the radio or TV or on this board says "The committee is supposed to pick the 4 best teams and that's what they did" is cringy, because they didn't. They weren't even close without UGA and possibly OSU in the final 4.

Is FSU better than Bama? Probably not, but UGA would be favored over every other team in the top 4 except maybe Bama, so when saying they picked the 4 "best" that needs to be called out loudly.

The committee picked the 3 most deserving and 1 best team. In terms of "best" and "deserving" what we have is neither.
I would agree completely that both UGA and Bama are better than FSU and if there were a #5 team in the playoffs I would 100%give it to Georgia not FSU.

Multiple times the CFP committee selected 2 SEC teams over the champion of another conference. This is not a new idea. The only thing that has people hung up is that FSU was undefeated but their schedule sucked. The best team they beat was LSU who was the 5th best team in the SEC.

I would also call Michigan into question because we still don't fully know the depth of the cheating that went on there and the type of cheating they were doing has a DIRECT influence on the outcome of games.

I would agree completely that both UGA and Bama are better than FSU and if there were a #5 team in the playoffs I would 100%give it to Georgia not FSU.

Multiple times the CFP committee selected 2 SEC teams over the champion of another conference. This is not a new idea. The only thing that has people hung up is that FSU was undefeated but their schedule sucked. The best team they beat was LSU who was the 5th best team in the SEC.

I would also call Michigan into question because we still don't fully know the depth of the cheating that went on there and the type of cheating they were doing has a DIRECT influence on the outcome of games.
What I'm saying is any argument about Bama being "better" than FSU is moot as long as UGA isn't in. Any and all arguments, no matter how valid, fail until UGA is in. "Best" is not the criteria used for the other teams. Bama got preferential treatment in the selection process.

Reactions: tnvolswmd
What I'm saying is any argument about Bama being "better" than FSU is moot as long as UGA isn't in. Any and all arguments, no matter how valid, fail until UGA is in. "Best" is not the criteria used for the other teams. Bama got preferential treatment in the selection process.
Instead of the CFP, perhaps it should be called the NIT. The four best teams are not in. You can’t rank Georgia #1 for 13 consecutive weeks and FSU #4 even after their QB gets hurt and then decide the last week of the season that you had it all wrong . Alabama bias.

They got what they got because they beat the #1 team in the nation in the biggest stage.

Reactions: BradentonVol

True but once you get to the 11-14 type range of teams, you have teams with at least 2 losses. You got excuses to leave them out.

Reactions: camp_steveo
"The committee knew ....."

Those words pretty much define the entire process and what a joke it is and always has been. If the results aren't the final arbiter if the committee "knows" better, then what's the point?

I'm not arguing that FSU is better, but they were in the field last week and held up their end of the bargain. So because the committee "knew" they weren't as good, they are out? Why play the damn games?

My problem with it has always been the utter lack of consistency. No undefeated conference champ has ever been left out ..... until now. It's to "identify" the four best, yet TCU got in last year. If they said from the beginning that winning your conference wasn't as important as how you "look" to the committee, then I'd have no issue with these four. But they had FSU in last week without Travis, and talked of the importance of winning the conference and being unbeaten. Until it wasn't.

I'd like to know how they decided that Alabama was better because of Travis' injury, but Georgia wasn't? As if throwing FSU that bone makes up for shutting them out of the playoff?

Bottom line - the four best teams still aren't in, because Georgia beats most of them, and the committee "knows" that too. The whole thing is about "choosing" winners, much the same as the government.
I agree with everything you list but, let me point out that no SEC Champion has ever been left out either.

VN Store

Back