Could we be headed for global chaos? Significant fuel shortages? Severe food shortages?

...and a lot of the areas where we are seeing supply chain issues and price increases (e.g., food) were always considered "essential." If they shut down (and many did), it was a company decision.

The 3-week shutdowns from March 2020 are not why, for example, gas prices are high in June 2022.
Restrictions in NY and CA went on far longer than 3 weeks. NY didn’t open back up until this year. Those 2 states are a huge chunk of our economy. And do you really think companies would’ve been making the unilateral decision to impose self-restrictions and/or shut downs if none of the governors had done so? I highly doubt it. Maybe a small few.

I’ve been looking at a full standby generator. Cummins & Generac both have 30 kW options for around 10k.
Then it’s extra for the ATS.
Generac is a good brand, but Cummins maybe better. Add up all the major energy suckers in your house by wattage, like heat pump, clothes dryer, etc, I would go about 5% to 10% above that. The NEC has a couple tables that help you calculate this. I will post later when I can if you are interested. I am about to get one myself.

Restrictions in NY and CA went on far longer than 3 weeks. NY didn’t open back up until this year. Those 2 states are a huge chunk of our economy. And do you really think companies would’ve been making the unilateral decision to impose self-restrictions and/or shut downs if none of the governors had done so? I highly doubt it. Maybe a small few.
NY and CA opened back up before this year. They carried on with the mask theater for much longer than the rest of the country, but they were open.

NY and CA opened back up before this year. They carried on with the mask theater for much longer than the rest of the country, but they were open.
Maybe it was sometime last year but they weren’t shut down for 2-3 weeks. They still had capacity restrictions for a very long time and they put so much fear into people that a lot stayed home even after restrictions were lifted.

Your kids will eventually know you voted for it.

Yeah in my books they dont do any of that. Trump is the biggest republican out there and he pushed through the worst gun control we have seen in a long time. Had multiple things struck down by the courts, spent money all over the place we didnt have.

Paul, Amash, etc, are about as close as it gets, and they get party purity checked at every turn.

People want to back winners, not actually stand up for what they believe in. That's why its poison.

Dems are worse poison.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I was not around then, but IMO these issues we face today are nothing like those during the Cold War era, particularly the late 60s.

The country I think is more polarized and dysfunctional today than in the 90s, but not the 60s. The things we see today I think have been slowly building since about 2000.

And it won't change. It's a pressure cooker waiting to blow. What's the result?

Generac is a good brand, but Cummins maybe better. Add up all the major energy suckers in your house by wattage, like heat pump, clothes dryer, etc, I would go about 5% to 10% above that. The NEC has a couple tables that help you calculate this. I will post later when I can if you are interested. I am about to get one myself.
For sure. Thanks.
Yea they're both good brands and make good stuff. Cummins/Onan probably a tad more premium.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
Automatic Transfer Switch

Does it come on automatically if the power goes out, or do you manually flip the switch.
Yes, I don't think it was even an option. It was required (I think) and if it isn't required you should 100% get it. What if you're not home?
You guys and your fancy, smancy generator setups. I've got a Honda portable 3000W. I hook it up using two extention cords with male plugs on both ends. Plug them into different sides of the 240V to back feed my panel. Turn off the main and voila. I don't have use of the stove, oven, or AC but since I've got gas I have heat and hot water.

You guys and your fancy, smancy generator setups. I've got a Honda portable 3000W. I hook it up using two extention cords with male plugs on both ends. Plug them into different sides of the 240V to back feed my panel. Turn off the main and voila. I don't have use of the stove, oven, or AC but since I've got gas I have heat and hot water.

used to do the same until we were gone for a week and the power went out which was quite frequent until we put in the backup generator. It must have fixed the local grid.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I was not around then, but IMO these issues we face today are nothing like those during the Cold War era, particularly the late 60s.

The country I think is more polarized and dysfunctional today than in the 90s, but not the 60s. The things we see today I think have been slowly building since about 2000.
My 2 cents, but this is why I'm terrified of another world war. This country doesn't have the passion it once did. This country is so divided I don't see the US turning into the huge machine it did that one the first two. Also our younger generation is nothing like those who went over there or Vietnam.

VN Store

Back