Curt Schilling - not a future ESPN Courage award recipient

You mean the same conservatives that arrested over 800 black kids for trying to march from Selma to Birmingham? Or the same ones who turned hoses on them and turned police dogs on them?? How about the ones who had African Americans arrested for trying to register to vote??? I mean you wanna bring up what happened in 60's and 70's, the conservative republicans dos look to good toward black US citizens

Umm. All those leaders were democrats

Reactions: 2 people
You mean the same conservatives that arrested over 800 black kids for trying to march from Selma to Birmingham? Or the same ones who turned hoses on them and turned police dogs on them?? How about the ones who had African Americans arrested for trying to register to vote??? I mean you wanna bring up what happened in 60's and 70's, the conservative republicans dos look to good toward black US citizens

Umm. All those leaders were democrats

And? They were still CONSERVATIVES...and they all abandoned the Democratic party, and switched to the Republican party after the 50's and 60's.

Reactions: 1 person
I use to love ESPN with SportsCenter and PTI. Now, it's virtually unwatchable outside of a game I'm interested in.

Schilling was just exercising his free speech.

And ESPN was just exercising its free speech too when they fired him.

That's not true. He exercised a right that's been taken away.

If he was exercising a "right", why was he fired?

He still has a right to free speech. What he doesn't have is a right to use his employer as a pedestal from which to exercise that right.

Reactions: 2 people

Has he been arrested or deported for speaking his mind?

If not, then how was his right in any way infringed?

I use to love ESPN with SportsCenter and PTI. Now, it's virtually unwatchable outside of a game I'm interested in.

Agreed. I don't give a shot about Curt Shilling, he'd been warned in the past and ESPN can hire and fire for whatever reason.

Uh, no one has taken Schilling's rights away.

He still has the right to say whatever he wants.

If you think private employers must yield to free speech rights, tell your boss (if you have one) to f-off. Then sue him for "violating your free speech rights" after he fires you. Good luck with that.

So, employers can dictate ideology? I guess they can when you think about it...

Yes, your employer can choose not to associate with you on the basis of your (or their) ideology. Do you have some issue with that? Do you not support at will employment laws?

He still has a right to free speech. What he doesn't have is a right to use his employer as a pedestal from which to exercise that right.

I don't think he did, imo. He was on Facebook/Twitter....personal accounts.

I get he's a public figure, but I don't think he should be fired for giving his personal, political opinion on something....regardless of employer.

So, employers can dictate ideology? I guess they can when you think about it...

No. They just chose to not affiliate with him if he makes it public while representing them.
Viewers can decide if its hypocritical and not watch if they see ESPN allowing someone with the opposite view stating their political opinion.

You can disagree with what they allow or don't allow from their employees on political comments or stances but they still have the right to decide since he represents them.

Yes, your employer can choose not to associate with you on the basis of your (or their) ideology. Do you have some issue with that? Do you not support at will employment laws?

Yes, what separates the individual. You don't work for a place 24 hrs a day. When are you a normal citizen who has the right to speak your mind without repercussion?

I don't think he did, imo. He was on Facebook/Twitter....personal accounts.

I get he's a public figure, but I don't think he should be fired for giving his personal, political opinion on something....regardless of employer.

Like I said, go tell your boss to f-off. Then tell him he can't fire you because you were just expressing your personal opinion.

You really need to learn history. Those where Dixiecrats (aka Southern Dems)

Dictate ideology? ESPN never dictated to Schilling what his ideology should be. Schilling is free to have any ideology he wants.

Wtf? As long as it is kosher with ESPN?

Why did he lose his job then? Ideological differences weren't the basis?

And? They were still CONSERVATIVES...and they all abandoned the Democratic party, and switched to the Republican party after the 50's and 60's.

You too need to learn history sir. LBJ made a political decision on Black Americans. JFK had Hoover spy on MLK and the liberal Icon Robert Byrd was the former LEADER of the KKK.

When are you a normal citizen who has the right to speak your mind without repercussion?

Never. There is no protection against the consequences of exercising one's right to free speech. The Constitution only protects you against being arrested, deported, fined, or otherwise legally prohibited from exercising that right. It does not say that any other person or entity has to accept what you say or how you say it. Association is considered a tenet of free speech, and your employer has the power to exercise that right if they don't like what you say.

Last edited:
I have ZERO issue with ESPN hiring and firing anyone. But I will point out the hypocrisy of you libs who are now screaming "it's the private company's right" when you NEVER think that in the past. LOL

And the hypocrisy of some Repubs on here wanting to bash ESPN for exercising their free market rights.

I have ZERO issue with ESPN hiring and firing anyone. But I will point out the hypocrisy of you libs who are now screaming "it's the private company's right" when you NEVER think that in the past. LOL

And the hypocrisy of some Repubs on here wanting to bash ESPN for exercising their free market rights.

They have every right to. 100%. Its just hypocritical to allow certain statements on air but others, off air, are off limits. And they bash the NFL for their handling of situations

Wtf? As long as it is kosher with ESPN?

Why did he lose his job then? Ideological differences weren't the basis?

What are you talking about? ESPN never dictated to Schilling what his ideology should be.

ESPN practiced their own free speech rights, and their own free association rights by deciding not to be associated with Schilling.

Never. There is no protection against the consequences of exercising one's right to free speech. The Constitution only protects you against being arrested, deported, fined, or otherwise legally prohibited from exercising that right. It does not say that any other person or entity has to accept what you say or how you say it. Association is considered a tenant of free speech, and your employer has the power to exercise that right if they don't like what you say.

I didn't realize that association, regardless of intention, had so much power...

VN Store

Back