Da Reds thread

Yes I saw that.
I went on the ESPN app last night to see his profile, wasn't sure how long it had been since he left.
I always liked the way he played and the fact that he was a good hitter to boot.

Maybe he has finally learned how to locate. Always had great stuff, just did not pitch to spots and change speeds well. Thrower instead of pitcher when he was with our guys.

Reactions: GordonC
Good W.

Weaver DFA'd (yeah). Hunter will be back on the mound Sunday. Lodolo looks to be back before the end of the month.

India's recovery is going slow, as it should with plantar.

MRI on Fraley to check calf/foot status scheduled on 8/18.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
366645545_839376140889694_5070316075749126530_n.jpg

Reactions: Vols4us
Wonder what their plans are

IDK but its refreshing to see them being aggressive with the call ups. I did see where apparently it won't affect his service time and if he doesn't reach a 130 ABs he'll keep his rookie status too.

Bell just said Marte will start every day at 3rd, gives more playing time for Steer in the OF. Newman to the injured list.

Lance McAlister
·

https://www.facebook.com/#
How far has Nick Senzel fallen in the eyes of the Cincinnati Reds organization? In a playoff chase, they've decided they were better off with
Stuart Fairchild
Henry Ramos
TJ Hopkins
And now Michael Siani
Those players have been deemed better options than the former No. 2 pick overall.
Senzel can play 3B-CF-2B-LF.
This season, he's 3rd on the team vs LHP
.305 BA
.367 OBP
.538 SLG
.903 OPS
But he was also 5 for his last 43 (.116) and hitting .139 since the middle of June.
While reports indicate Senzel was shopped in trade talks as the deadline approached, no deal was made.
Mark Sheldon (MLB.com) reported Senzel met with David Bell, Nick Krall and his agent, Scott Boras, in recent weeks to convey his feelings: “We discussed behind closed doors that I wanted to play more, get more at-bats, get into more games," Senzel said. "Obviously, the role I’m in now, I wanted the opportunity to go play. I’m arb-3 [third-year arbitration eligible] next year. They understood that. If it was in the best interests and made sense for both parties, they were going to do something. It just didn’t happen.”
He was considered the most polished hitter in college coming out of the draft. I was a fan of his skillset from day one. Polished hitter.
Plate discipline. Athletic. Could run. Had some pop.
I still find it amazing that he played in all but one game in his college career at Tennessee and started the first 32 MLB games after his initial promotion to the Reds.
He battled injuries. He adjusted to multiple position changes. But it never clicked.
It just never happened. That's a shame.
He's clearly played his last game for the Reds.
He now becomes a change of scenery candidate.
I wish him the best.

Reactions: Vols4us
Lance McAlister
·

How far has Nick Senzel fallen in the eyes of the Cincinnati Reds organization? In a playoff chase, they've decided they were better off with
Stuart Fairchild
Henry Ramos
TJ Hopkins
And now Michael Siani
Those players have been deemed better options than the former No. 2 pick overall.
Senzel can play 3B-CF-2B-LF.
This season, he's 3rd on the team vs LHP
.305 BA
.367 OBP
.538 SLG
.903 OPS
But he was also 5 for his last 43 (.116) and hitting .139 since the middle of June.
While reports indicate Senzel was shopped in trade talks as the deadline approached, no deal was made.
Mark Sheldon (MLB.com) reported Senzel met with David Bell, Nick Krall and his agent, Scott Boras, in recent weeks to convey his feelings: “We discussed behind closed doors that I wanted to play more, get more at-bats, get into more games," Senzel said. "Obviously, the role I’m in now, I wanted the opportunity to go play. I’m arb-3 [third-year arbitration eligible] next year. They understood that. If it was in the best interests and made sense for both parties, they were going to do something. It just didn’t happen.”
He was considered the most polished hitter in college coming out of the draft. I was a fan of his skillset from day one. Polished hitter.
Plate discipline. Athletic. Could run. Had some pop.
I still find it amazing that he played in all but one game in his college career at Tennessee and started the first 32 MLB games after his initial promotion to the Reds.
He battled injuries. He adjusted to multiple position changes. But it never clicked.
It just never happened. That's a shame.
He's clearly played his last game for the Reds.
He now becomes a change of scenery candidate.
I wish him the best.

JMO, the Reds org and philosophy when he was drafted was different than it is now. I agree with everything you state and since he was from east TN he played against our local HS when here. Also watched him with the Vols. Have seen what the org asked him to do and saw how it changed from what he did in HS and at UT.

He played 3B, SS and 2B in HS, mostly 3B. He played 3B and was tried at 2B initially on the farm. He is a natural at 3B. He broke a finger or something at 2B early on. So problem #1, why did they draft a natural 3B with suburb defensive skills, arm and speed just to change him to something else? Don't draft him. Suarez blocked him for a time, who was bad at D. So they moved Nick around. The next year they drafted India, a natural 3B and SEC player of the year. So they never had any intent of keeping Senzel at his natural position.

As an aside they did the same thing to India moving him to 2B. Now they are talking trade there as well.

But in an effort to get Nick on the field they develop him for CF, something he had never done. He starts getting injured much more diving and running into walls.

Problem #2 was never settling on a spot in the order. It was ridiculous even when he was healthy. Each spot in the order has a primary and secondary goal or mission. He never settled into a role.

Problem #3 was the hitting coach changed his stance and approach. You can compare the college video with the early years in the org and they are very different. Then they let him try AA's stance when JV did. Only to change it back to something close to his original stance this season.

Problem #4 was they started bringing in guys to play the positions he played and told him he was going to be the poor man's Ben Zobrist - Mr. Utility. That was destined for failure because of the #1, #2 and #3 above.

I don't know, but I also believe he listened to the wrong voices on the roster at times as well.

He needs dealt and given a fresh start as you state. He can still provide value to a team that handles him right.

The new MO under Krall may be different. I am a big proponent of playing guys at their natural positions whenever possible. Eliminate distractions so they can just focus on the overall task of being a ballplayer. Sometimes a move is necessary, but it needs to fit well and not mess with the player's career.

Something I will never understand about baseball - when a pitcher comes in throwing off speed 9 out of 10 pitches - and the scouting report says that - and both announcers say that's what's gonna happen - and then it does happen - and every batter swings early at every pitch like they don't have a clue it's coming. Batter after batter sees this guy ( I'm talking about Crismatt last night in the 10th and 11th) throw his change at 83 or his curve at 73 9 out of 10 pitches and they still can't wait on the ball. His fastball was only 87 the few times he threw it. Why would you look fastball against a guy like that? We were lucky to get the balk because nobody was going to wait on a pitch long enough to hit more than a weak roller to 3rd.

Reactions: GordonC
This team is finished. They have hit their low point and show ZERO signs of life with more games against the likes of the Giants,Cubs and Mariners coming up. It was a fun ride but we don't have the pitching to compete, and our offense has disappeared.

Now would be a really good time to get India back and healthy, but don 't want to mess up his progress.

Not counting on playoffs this season. The rotation is just not playoff quality and injuries are affecting quality depth. But know enough now that I am sure this org will be competing at a high level for several years.

Going to be interesting to see if the Reds claim any of the players on waivers this afternoon. There are some that could really help us.

We should get either one or a combo or Giolito, Clevinger or Lopez....Without at least one reliable SP and some help in the pen we have no shot

VN Store

Back