Dalton Knecht....

We all love Knecht, but placing him above Grant is blasphemy.
We talking for a career as a whole or single season? I wouldn’t place him over Grant today in either category but I don’t think it’s blasphemy if some are looking at a single season and saying Knecht was better while also projecting a bit…both are currently at almost identical PPG for their final seasons, but Knecht obviously had a stretch of very low scoring games recently that brought his average down. He has 4 games of 25+ already, Grant had 2 all season long, I don’t think it’s crazy to say if Knecht keeps up his play that his single season will be better than Grants.

Reactions: Coach_Z
We talking for a career as a whole or single season? I wouldn’t place him over Grant today in either category but I don’t think it’s blasphemy if some are looking at a single season and saying Knecht was better while also projecting a bit…both are currently at almost identical PPG for their final seasons, but Knecht obviously had a stretch of very low scoring games recently that brought his average down. He has 4 games of 25+ already, Grant had 2 all season long, I don’t think it’s crazy to say if Knecht keeps up his play that his single season will be better than Grants.
I was kinda thinking players as a whole, not necessarily bound to any amount of time. I agree Knecht could tip the scales by the end of the season, and I def hope he does.

Aidoo's development would be the biggest asset to Knecht. At some points teams will start throwing everything at Knecht including a box and one. We need obvious threats at other positions that will score 10 if defenses collapse on Knecht. It is why I've been disappointed in Vescovi and James.

Reactions: Pappy
Aidoo's development would be the biggest asset to Knecht. At some points teams will start throwing everything at Knecht including a box and one. We need obvious threats at other positions that will score 10 if defenses collapse on Knecht. It is why I've been disappointed in Vescovi and James.
Any team playing a box and one against Tennessee is in for a butt kicking. Tennessee is not a one man team by any means. In a lot of games different players have stepped up when their number has been called; all that play significant minutes are capable of scoring, yes even JJJ.

James was sick today from Barnes post-game.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Knecht is hitting 3s in all kinds of ways. He's a little upgrade over Mike Miller or Joe Johnson, with a better ability to drive to the basket. Those are 2 comparable players. He's better than Grant
I thought a good SEC comp for him was Arkys Joe Johnson as well in a previous thread. Good size, bounce, and can score from anywhere. Their games are very similar. Joe would drive, post-up, hit 3’s, the whole shebang!

Great to see Knecht’s success and the long road filled with hard work and countless hours in the gym. He sounds like a great young man who constantly works to get better. We are lucky to have him in Orange.
He was 5'8" as a sophomore in high school. Hard work & growth paid off. Who's responsible for his recruitment at Tennessee? They need a BIG raise.

Attachments

• image2-7_orig.jpg
    image2-7_orig.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 16
If he wins SEC POY, 1st Team AA, and Wooden/Naismith Award he is a sure fire jersey retirement.
Told myself to stop digging this particular hole, but before I put the shovel down, I gotta chime in on this. While the NIL and portal have changed the sport and that gave us the chance to get Knecht, I just don't believe a 1 year guy from the portal should have a jersey hanging in TBA. Same for a kid who is one and done. I think that particular "ring of honor" should be reserved for guys who complete a 4 year career at UT and earn a degree. Yeah, I know with free agency, that's an antiquated and quaint notion, but for me, a 1 year player getting that honor kinda cheapens it. I have no vote or say, but if I did, a 1 year player would not have a jersey retired and hanging in my arena.

Told myself to stop digging this particular hole, but before I put the shovel down, I gotta chime in on this. While the NIL and portal have changed the sport and that gave us the chance to get Knecht, I just don't believe a 1 year guy from the portal should have a jersey hanging in TBA. Same for a kid who is one and done. I think that particular "ring of honor" should be reserved for guys who complete a 4 year career at UT and earn a degree. Yeah, I know with free agency, that's an antiquated and quaint notion, but for me, a 1 year player getting that honor kinda cheapens it. I have no vote or say, but if I did, a 1 year player would not have a jersey retired and hanging in my arena.
I agreed with you at first, but then thought and read the criteria to make it. Pretty strong criteria to accomplish such a feat. If Dalton meets the criteria, then so be it, HANG the JERSEY.

If he leads us to our first Final Four in school history, I don’t care if he’s just a one year player, name the arena after him, name a street after him, AND retire his jersey.

He was 5'8" as a sophomore in high school. Hard work & growth paid off. Who's responsible for his recruitment at Tennessee? They need a BIG raise.
Rod Clark was watching a game to support a former player of his at Weber St when he noticed Knecht. He was concerned with UT’s chances when he found out that the blue bloods of NC, KY, Kansas, Indiana were recruiting Knecht. He soon found out that Knecht’s favorite player was Kevin Durant. Of course, Coach Barnes coached Durant at TX, so Clark had an ace up his sleeve. Clark also leveraged the fact that he was a JUCO player just like Knecht and that Knecht knew he needed to improve his defense per NBA Scouts. Barnes and TN were a great fit—thanks to Rod Clark for reeling him in!
Source: Great article in The Athletic.

John Adams wrote a recent article about who should qualify for VFL status. He agrees with you and so do I. 🍊👍😀😀😃🍊👍🍊

I agreed with you at first, but then thought and read the criteria to make it. Pretty strong criteria to accomplish such a feat. If Dalton meets the criteria, then so be it, HANG the JERSEY.
While I can see it from that perspective, I tend to look at a player being developed and grown throughout his career. If Bernard King had been at UT for 3 years then went to UK and had that one incredible season with all those accolades, where should he be recognized? Our program helped grow and mold him into the player he became, but he left and UK got the benefit of his growth and development for that one special season. Hang the jersey at Rupp? Maybe King becomes that great player no matter where he goes to school, but to be what he became was due, in no small part, to his time at UT with those mates and coaches. Guess I just see a jersey being retired at TBA as being a special thing reserved for special players having a special season in a career. I suppose we could go grab an elite player from the portal every season and when they manage to meet the criteria, we could add some more jerseys to TBA that way? Don't get me wrong. I'm not against Knecht and I'm thrilled we grabbed him for a year and hey, I won't complain if he helps us break through in March. I'll give him all the credit and praise he deserves, but to retire a jersey for a 1 year rental we got from the NIL/portal just doesn't feel right to me.

Reactions: taylorvol

VN Store

Back