Dan Mullen Vibes

What he inherited is a roster better than everyone on the schedule that year outside of Florida, Alabama, and Georgia. He inherited a top 10 program all time that recruits top 15-20 recruiting classes by itself and he inherit Neyland stadium that literally wins games. He has a lot to prove next year.
You’ve lost your mind.

Mullen is a much more experienced and proven winner of a head coach than Heupel
And in all that experience they have the same amount of SEC Coach of The Year awards. * is Mullen has coached 8 more seasons than Josh in the SEC.

What he inherited is a roster better than everyone on the schedule that year outside of Florida, Alabama, and Georgia. He inherited a top 10 program all time that recruits top 15-20 recruiting classes by itself and he inherit Neyland stadium that literally wins games. He has a lot to prove next year.
Not counting the 30+ players that elected to enter the portal from that inheritance? Or just making a statement and hoping it sticks.

Reactions: GordonC
Everybody is a unique individual, and there's no reason to compare Heup to Mullin. That said, Dan Mullin is a much smarter and more capable man than Billy Napier. It is what it is. Coaches get paid way way way way too much and they have a difficult personal life and it's in their best interest, always, to be fired.

Better to look at Heup and realize that he personally is already huge mess. Physically he just looks terrible. Managing the roster is way more work than it used to be. Mentally, who knows where he is, but he's not a guy who gets razor sharp in the last 2 minutes of a close game. He's not that. His contract incentivizes him to get fired above all else. His life will be way worse if he stays on the job. Worry about that. If he pulls his personal self together I think that's probably the best thing that can happen to UT football. I don't know the guy.

Gone are the days when coaches wear suits and ties. Most professions have gone to casual dress and appearance. Not my favorite trend but if my Dr. is overweight and needs to shave but performs my surgery well then who cares?

I read a story about Huepel greeting fans in the lobby during the bowl game, last year in Miami. In a conversation with a kid, I am paraphrasing from memory, he told the kid "don't worry about being someone you aren't, be yourself". I think this is why he identifies with players and doesn't worry about impressing people. He is a simple guy from South Dakota who loves football. I wish more people were as genuine.

I thought with the NIL money and strategy, recruiting would be a non-factor with Heup and his staff. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the sky is falling (yet). However, the parallels with Heupel at Tennessee and Mullen's time at Florida are starting to look too similar. They both struck quickly and found success but then the recruiting somewhat flat-lined. The Steaton decision was kind of strange and I am not a fan of a recruit, coach or fans pulling immutable traits into decision making, but it does seem like Heupel is putting his eggs into the basket of players that do not fit Tennessee. Hopefully he gets it figured out.
So you're gonna be "that guy" today?

Yeah, I'm piling on here but contrarian/trollish BS given the shake-up that NIL has produced is pretty annoying.

Your past posts have been pretty solid, I guess, but c'mon.

Points for having Heupel avi.

Last edited:
I thought with the NIL money and strategy, recruiting would be a non-factor with Heup and his staff. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the sky is falling (yet). However, the parallels with Heupel at Tennessee and Mullen's time at Florida are starting to look too similar. They both struck quickly and found success but then the recruiting somewhat flat-lined. The Steaton decision was kind of strange and I am not a fan of a recruit, coach or fans pulling immutable traits into decision making, but it does seem like Heupel is putting his eggs into the basket of players that do not fit Tennessee. Hopefully he gets it figured out.

1702229690666.gif

I am sick of idiots on this site with no clue. We have a 70 percent blue chip ratio which is the highest in 15 r more years for this class. Top 6 in the country. We are lower in rankings due to number of commits but 6th with our average rating that is almost 92 which is highest since a few of Phil’s best years. Nothing like Mullen. Your post is moronic.

You are a real DA
Put what Mullen accomplished at Miss St in 9 years against what Heupel has done so far at UCF and Tennessee. Mullen has the better resume so far and also took Florida to the SEC title game and won 10 and 9 games multiple times at Miss. St during the Saban era that’s not easy to do and especially at one of the most difficult places to coach at. Josh still has more coaching days ahead of him so let’s see what he can do he may surpass Mullen in the end but right now it’s advantage Dan Mullen..

Put what Mullen accomplished at Miss St in 9 years against what Heupel has done so far at UCF and Tennessee.
Who cares. Mullen is a good coach. Florida is worse after firing him. Tennessee would probably be the same. We just had our best 3 year run in 20 years and you are crapping on a coach who did that. I care about what he’s done at Tennessee and that’s been dang good. He may succeed or fail but considering where we are now to three years ago, it’s been a success.

Who cares. Mullen is a good coach. Florida is worse after firing him. Tennessee would probably be the same. We just had our best 3 year run in 20 years and you are crapping on a coach who did that. I care about what he’s done at Tennessee and that’s been dang good. He may succeed or fail but considering where we are now to three years ago, it’s been a success.
Yes Heupel has been successful much better than any coach since Fulmer but nobody knows what his long term future holds here . Alot of Arkansas fans were super pumped and happy with Sam Pittman after his first two good seasons now they want him gone after two bad ones. Things can change so quickly for a head coach in this meat grinder of a conference you can go from a winner to a chump so fast. The pressure to win every game is insane.

Yes Heupel has been successful much better than any coach since Fulmer but nobody knows what his long term future holds here . Alot of Arkansas fans were super pumped and happy with Sam Pittman after his first two good seasons now they want him gone after two bad ones. Things can change so quickly for a head coach in this meat grinder of a conference you can go from a winner to a chump so fast. The pressure to win every game is insane.
Therefore, let’s be thankful for what we’ve got.

We FINALLY got back to expecting at least 8 wins consistently. And we’ve see that with the right players, our coaches can produce the #1 offense in the country and compete with anyone. We’ve also seen that our coaches can sign elite talent on both sides to the ball.

To complain about what we have is stupid…

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckInAPen
This thread is like the negavols/loser vols equivalence of pulling in to a new town and walking into a gay bar unwittingly…hope you guys enjoy your evening, but I’m going to go somewhere else.

Could Heupel win consistently at Miss St. like Mullen did? What Mullen accomplished at Miss. St was very impressive had them 10-0 and number 1 briefly in 2014

Doubt Heupel would have fail miserably at fl like Mullins did.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
Prove to whom exactly? Hopefully you mean Danny White because that is the only person he actually has to answer to.

The internet is hard for some people

Considering you are the biggest homer on the board, your assessment of roster talent is pointless. He has proven plenty and has a better three year record than every previous head coach dating back to Fulmer

A lot of us "old farts" went from Coach Majors who always wore a nice suit, along with most Head Coaches those days, to Fulmer who usually wore Khakis, a pullover and a ballcap. Some questioned Fulmer's abilities because he didn't dress "professional" like majors and most other coaches we had gotten used to. I, personally, liked the look of the head Coach in a suit and tie, which you never see anymore, but never questioned the abilities of a coach in a polo or pullover. Anyway...i think it's ridiculous to question a coach's ability based on what he looks like during a press conference. Consider the amount of time that these guys are "on the job" and spend away from home.
JH needs to take this team a step forward next season, and I think he will, but I doubt we will notice any difference in how he dresses or whether or not he has shaved in either case.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Mullen wasn't a great coach or anything but he was indeed a good coach. You don't go 103-61 in the SEC if you are a bad coach. They fired him and his replacement is way worse.

And his recruiting woes were way overblown. 2 top 10 classes. Top 15 in every year he was there. UF fans had unrealistic expectations.
Sounds familiar

VN Store

Back