Dan Mullen Vibes

Could Heupel win consistently at Miss St. like Mullen did? What Mullen accomplished at Miss. St was very impressive had them 10-0 and number 1 briefly in 2014
Well idk, maybe. Don't see why not, especially if he still gets Dak Prescott in this ridiculous hypothetical.

I too noticed that Heup seemed a little, let's say, weather-beaten, during pressers this season. It didn't alarm me but suggested pretty strongly
that general job pressure---and more particularly the fact that we had offensive problems this year--left him somewhat frazzled. It's a tough-ass job, particularly for a UT coach as we're automatically behind /at least/ three teams when it comes to recruiting--bama, geogia and lsu--then throw in the natural state advantage that florida has plus the money and state/regional advantages that texas and a&M have, and....it's tough, man--and we've got a good brand. Problem is, so do half of the teams in the SEC.

What Heupel MUST do, above all, is put together a 5-star staff. Yes, easier said than done. He's got to have at least three star recruiters, and he's got to have two excellent coordinators. A great staff takes you from mediocre to competitive at the top of the conference, and it let's the head man breathe, manage--and chew gum in a more relaxed way. He may have a great staff now, I don't know--but a crack staff is absolutely paramount.
3* recruiters or 3 recruiters of stars?

I am sick of idiots on this site with no clue. We have a 70 percent blue chip ratio which is the highest in 15 r more years for this class. Top 6 in the country. We are lower in rankings due to number of commits but 6th with our average rating that is almost 92 which is highest since a few of Phil’s best years. Nothing like Mullen. Your post is moronic.
Well makes our future better than Bama, ga., lsu, tx., okla, etc. I suppose

I thought with the NIL money and strategy, recruiting would be a non-factor with Heup and his staff. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the sky is falling (yet). However, the parallels with Heupel at Tennessee and Mullen's time at Florida are starting to look too similar. They both struck quickly and found success but then the recruiting somewhat flat-lined. The Steaton decision was kind of strange and I am not a fan of a recruit, coach or fans pulling immutable traits into decision making, but it does seem like Heupel is putting his eggs into the basket of players that do not fit Tennessee. Hopefully he gets it figured out.
Ahhhhhh yes..... "Pre-worrying"

The Volunteer tradition like no other...

Last edited:
What he inherited is a roster better than everyone on the schedule that year outside of Florida, Alabama, and Georgia. He inherited a top 10 program all time that recruits top 15-20 recruiting classes by itself and he inherit Neyland stadium that literally wins games. He has a lot to prove next year.
Dude please do some research before posting. Do you not recall how depleted the roster was due to lack of scholarship athletes back in 2021? Additionally, he inherited the mess leftover from Pruitt. I understand our history and tradition but the facts of what he stepped into were far from ideal. This program is in the best shape since the early 2000s with a good coach leading the way.

What he inherited is a roster better than everyone on the schedule that year outside of Florida, Alabama, and Georgia. He inherited a top 10 program all time that recruits top 15-20 recruiting classes by itself and he inherit Neyland stadium that literally wins games. He has a lot to prove next year.
He inherited a program under investigation, which hurt recruiting and a roster with huge holes due to players transferring out and not having solid depth behind them. Players win games. Neyland can be somewhat of an equalizer but it's not a fix-all for not having the talent.

I just do not see a Mullen comparison. The situations do not resemble one another. Heupel's recruiting and staff assembly are somewhat concerning, though. Those things are somewhat related. I think he is at a crossroads at the moment.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
What he inherited is a roster better than everyone on the schedule that year outside of Florida, Alabama, and Georgia. He inherited a top 10 program all time that recruits top 15-20 recruiting classes by itself and he inherit Neyland stadium that literally wins games. He has a your a compllot to prove next yea
Hang in there hossfly I’m sure some of your troll buddies will be along shortly to give you a like

I always wondered how all those layers of paint on THE rock didn't build up after all these years. Nationdom is eating them.
The paint, on the rock, actually melted one year when a heat wave basically cooked the rock. I wish I had the picture of the melted paint at the base of the rock, but I don't. I bet someone will post it though.

Our average player rating is very good for this current class. Top 10. I’d rather have that. We just don’t have the volume that some do. Fill the rest from the portal/super senior upperclassmen.

Nah.

Mullen was weird.
Super weird.

Heupel is a straight forward dude anddecent recruiter. Good coach.
We'll win a lot of games..But not a lot of championships unless his staff improves on the field and in recruiting game.

Recruiting has changed dramatically. There will be some players that go play for a coach or program because they love that coach/program and there will be LOTS of players that go play somewhere for money. The portal makes things even more convoluted. So imo, it’s unfair to look at a coach and say he is or isn’t a good recruiter. It just doesn’t work like that anymore. Maybe it still does to a lesser degree but overall, it’s about money and exposure. The evaluation is so much different now. It’s not just is this player good, can they fit in our system…it’s also how much value do we see in this player. Do we need to allocate more money to this position or that position. Heupel might have been a fantastic recruiter 5 years ago. But there’s so many additional factors now I really don’t know if it’s possible to determine. I’m sure some will disagree but the way I look at it now is what does the roster look like at the end of a season and what does it look like right before the first game. So much happens in between now that I don’t see the point in keeping up with it. And even at that, if someone swoops in and offers your starting RB an extra million dollars, what the heck can you do about it. It’s a mess so I don’t get caught up anymore on the day to day stuff. What we have to start next season is what we have 🤷🏻‍♂️

When sports pundits before the season kept wondering if Tennessee fans would turn on Heupel if we took a step back this season, I told myself „No way. We aren’t THAT stupid of a fan base.“
Threads like this prove I was wrong about a not insignificant number of Vol fans unfortunately.

Maybe, but don't be surprised if next year is a struggle.
I look for us to be back offensively as we were the last yr of Hooker this coming year. I still believe the offense was numbed down because of Milton, and Milton is a very likeable guy, and if pulled Hype would have lost the locker room. Then we would have played like we did against SC last year. Just my opinion.

VN Store

Back