Dan Mullen Vibes

Can someone send the original poster some tapes of the last 20 years of Tennessee football?
What would be the difference between the past season under Dooley, Butch and Pruitt and last season where they were getting blown out on the road to Florida, Mizzou and Bama in the 2nd half and blown out at home against Georgia? Just looks very similar to what we have been conditioned to seeing for the past two decades.

Mullen had a prickly personality but is indeed an excellent coach. He is not as quirky as Chip Kelly and not as relatable as Napier. Mullen could resurface again and do well. Pitt could be a good landing spot for Dan - or Arkansas.

Reactions: VollerNbham
I too noticed that Heup seemed a little, let's say, weather-beaten, during pressers this season. It didn't alarm me but suggested pretty strongly
that general job pressure---and more particularly the fact that we had offensive problems this year--left him somewhat frazzled. It's a tough-ass job, particularly for a UT coach as we're automatically behind /at least/ three teams when it comes to recruiting--bama, geogia and lsu--then throw in the natural state advantage that florida has plus the money and state/regional advantages that texas and a&M have, and....it's tough, man--and we've got a good brand. Problem is, so do half of the teams in the SEC.

What Heupel MUST do, above all, is put together a 5-star staff. Yes, easier said than done. He's got to have at least three star recruiters, and he's got to have two excellent coordinators. A great staff takes you from mediocre to competitive at the top of the conference, and it let's the head man breathe, manage--and chew gum in a more relaxed way. He may have a great staff now, I don't know--but a crack staff is absolutely paramount.

Everybody is a unique individual, and there's no reason to compare Heup to Mullin. That said, Dan Mullin is a much smarter and more capable man than Billy Napier. It is what it is. Coaches get paid way way way way too much and they have a difficult personal life and it's in their best interest, always, to be fired.

Better to look at Heup and realize that he personally is already huge mess. Physically he just looks terrible. Managing the roster is way more work than it used to be. Mentally, who knows where he is, but he's not a guy who gets razor sharp in the last 2 minutes of a close game. He's not that. His contract incentivizes him to get fired above all else. His life will be way worse if he stays on the job. Worry about that. If he pulls his personal self together I think that's probably the best thing that can happen to UT football. I don't know the guy.
Yeah that John Madden guy couldn't coach either because he was out of shape.

Reactions: Native Orange
Everybody is a unique individual, and there's no reason to compare Heup to Mullin. That said, Dan Mullin is a much smarter and more capable man than Billy Napier. It is what it is. Coaches get paid way way way way too much and they have a difficult personal life and it's in their best interest, always, to be fired.

Better to look at Heup and realize that he personally is already huge mess. Physically he just looks terrible. Managing the roster is way more work than it used to be. Mentally, who knows where he is, but he's not a guy who gets razor sharp in the last 2 minutes of a close game. He's not that. His contract incentivizes him to get fired above all else. His life will be way worse if he stays on the job. Worry about that. If he pulls his personal self together I think that's probably the best thing that can happen to UT football. I don't know the guy.
You don’t know the guy… but you’ve created an entire narrative based on how he looks in a polo lol.

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
I too noticed that Heup seemed a little, let's say, weather-beaten, during pressers this season. It didn't alarm me but suggested pretty strongly
that general job pressure---and more particularly the fact that we had offensive problems this year--left him somewhat frazzled. It's a tough-ass job, particularly for a UT coach as we're automatically behind /at least/ three teams when it comes to recruiting--bama, geogia and lsu--then throw in the natural state advantage that florida has plus the money and state/regional advantages that texas and a&M have, and....it's tough, man--and we've got a good brand. Problem is, so do half of the teams in the SEC.

What Heupel MUST do, above all, is put together a 5-star staff. Yes, easier said than done. He's got to have at least three star recruiters, and he's got to have two excellent coordinators. A great staff takes you from mediocre to competitive at the top of the conference, and it let's the head man breathe, manage--and chew gum in a more relaxed way. He may have a great staff now, I don't know--but a crack staff is absolutely paramount.
Very astute. I guess the problem here is pretty much the same as the head coaches. The only way anybody knows to hire a 5 star staff is more money, so it's just another area of the arms race. I personally think it's the most important phase of the arms race, more than paying for players. I am discouraged that your staff is not only in the arms race as staff but, if you win, receiving head coach offers, which require you to lose. You can't fight back in a reasonable way unless the guy just wants to stay a staffer for personal reasons.

What would be the difference between the past season under Dooley, Butch and Pruitt and last season where they were getting blown out on the road to Florida, Mizzou and Bama in the 2nd half and blown out at home against Georgia? Just looks very similar to what we have been conditioned to seeing for the past two decades.
Some here just want you to be happy with beating Vandy 8 times a year. They want you to believe we’re great with 8 wins. Like you I want more. Sure the last 20 years were rough but that doesn’t mean we should settle. I want to see UT compete nationally again. I want my son to see that. I surely wanna be competitive in the SEC again (we aren’t). It takes time and I’m willing to give a few more seasons before I expect it. This will upset the sunshine pumpers.

Reactions: Tnphil and loservol
Some here just want you to be happy with beating Vandy 8 times a year. They want you to believe we’re great with 8 wins. Like you I want more. Sure the last 20 years were rough but that doesn’t mean we should settle. I want to see UT compete nationally again. I want my son to see that. I surely wanna be competitive in the SEC again (we aren’t). It takes time and I’m willing to give a few more seasons before I expect it. This will upset the sunshine pumpers.
Loser Butch was giving us 8 win seasons and that got old and quick. I get tired, because they all act like they are still coaching at a small program and not been given a chance at a once in a lifetime opportunity.

It just seems none of them ever wants to put in the kind of work it takes to win at the highest level. Even worse, we don't have the kind of AD with a spine to pull them in his office and let them know what is expected from a UT coach.

Last edited:
Don't you know the next UT coach is going to make me rich beyond my wildest dreams?
iu

I thought with the NIL money and strategy, recruiting would be a non-factor with Heup and his staff. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the sky is falling (yet). However, the parallels with Heupel at Tennessee and Mullen's time at Florida are starting to look too similar. They both struck quickly and found success but then the recruiting somewhat flat-lined. The Steaton decision was kind of strange and I am not a fan of a recruit, coach or fans pulling immutable traits into decision making, but it does seem like Heupel is putting his eggs into the basket of players that do not fit Tennessee. Hopefully he gets it figured out.
Maybe the difference will be in the character of the two men.

I thought with the NIL money and strategy, recruiting would be a non-factor with Heup and his staff. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the sky is falling (yet). However, the parallels with Heupel at Tennessee and Mullen's time at Florida are starting to look too similar. They both struck quickly and found success but then the recruiting somewhat flat-lined. The Steaton decision was kind of strange and I am not a fan of a recruit, coach or fans pulling immutable traits into decision making, but it does seem like Heupel is putting his eggs into the basket of players that do not fit Tennessee. Hopefully he gets it figured out.
Put down the crack pipe Hunter, we're gonna be fine!

Best I can remember most weren't real happy when Fulmer got his 8 is enough contract.

Reactions: EasternVol
Because it means you are losing to Florida. Bama, Georgia and some other program having good season.
That was my point...I'm hoping this season was just a one off for Heupel. However I did see things that concerns me. Next year we will have a lot of green players with a very green QB....We might hope for 8-4 next season. IMO we beat one team that had better athletes than us and that was A&M....and they fired their coach and paid 76 million to make him go away.

Reactions: Dansky

VN Store

Back