EJECTION !! The Penalty For 'Targeting' Hits

My football resume' is PeeWee, Pop Warner, Rec League, Middle School, and High School.

I was too short; too slow; and too average to go any further. I was a defensive player; that's where they put you in PeeWee when you're slow and clumsy. It was where I spent my entire football career.

But the one thing I could do, and did do, starting at about age 13, was hit. Hard.

High school at a AA school in East TN. I'm 5-11, and maybe a buck sixty at that point. Freshman year, fall practice, and I'm lined up at the SS spot at the end of the day. It was my turn, probably because the two guys in front of me were cramping. Offense runs a counter-draw, and I'm suddenly one-on-one against a guy named Jimmy Milligan, who was a helluva running back. Everybody knew his name. Nobody knew I existed. I know I'm about to get faked out or run over, but in a rare moment that qualifies as an epiphany, I decide to meet him head-on.

They told me...when I woke up...that it was an awesome tackle. I made 2nd team on that one play.

I played 3 years as a starter, based solely on my willingness to hit the ballcarrier head-on, at full speed. Smart? No. Football? Yes.

Under the new rules, I would never have finished a single game.

If this new rule is not applied wisely, it will forever and irrevocably change college football. For the worse.

I'm fine with punishing the "headhunters", but don't punish good technique.

Go Vols.

Reactions: 2 people
Flags and skirts are next.. Oh and everyone gets to play.. Trophies for everyone..

They're ruining the game of football.. It's already nothing like it was in the 90's or 00's..

It will be doubly interesting to see SEC officials making such calls. Will this be from the field or from an official in the press box?

A whole lot of over reaction going on in here

No its not overreaction.....football is a bloodsport whether its accepted or not

Thats part of.what makes it fun is the contact

One guy headhunts and they make it impossible for any defensive player to do.his job.....defend

Just like when one crazy guy goes shooting up a place they think the solutoon is to take the guns away from the people with no problems controlling themselves

This sucks, Eric Berry would have been tossed for that epic hit he put on knowshon Moreno. Probably a lot of other games too.

this is the dumbest thing I have seen.anyone can see that the clowney hit was leagle.they have talked about this nonstop for the last 2 days.when the player puts his facemask in the rb's chest,how can they question this hit?

I understand the need to protect the players but like someone has already said,how many of the officials are going to get this right.a great play will end up getting someone ejected from the game.the powers that be are taking away from the game.

Reactions: 1 person
No its not overreaction.....football is a bloodsport whether its accepted or not

Thats part of.what makes it fun is the contact

One guy headhunts and they make it impossible for any defensive player to do.his job.....defend

Just like when one crazy guy goes shooting up a place they think the solutoon is to take the guns away from the people with no problems controlling themselves

This is one of the most idiotic things i have read.on this site

The enforcement will be a work in progress. Ejections will be reviewed by football hierarchy, sporting officials, coaches and the fanbases (public opinion).

Out of these highly critical reviews will come a consensus of what the key elements actually will be that supports the enforcement.

Expect the written as well as the actionable rule(s) to be molded over time.

Of course, but we're guaranteed a frustrating adjustment period, and then, no matter where they set the line, there are going to be plenty of grey area calls that could have outcome determinative effects. This will also be frustrating.

Not that I don't care about the safety of these kids first, mind you. It's just going to take a generation to get used to this whole concept, IMHO.

Eventually the. Players will adjust, and we'll just go on enjoying a slightly different sport. There's nothing wrong with that, except for the great frustration that will occur in the interim.

My football resume' is PeeWee, Pop Warner, Rec League, Middle School, and High School.

I was too short; too slow; and too average to go any further. I was a defensive player; that's where they put you in PeeWee when you're slow and clumsy. It was where I spent my entire football career.

But the one thing I could do, and did do, starting at about age 13, was hit. Hard.

High school at a AA school in East TN. I'm 5-11, and maybe a buck sixty at that point. Freshman year, fall practice, and I'm lined up at the SS spot at the end of the day. It was my turn, probably because the two guys in front of me were cramping. Offense runs a counter-draw, and I'm suddenly one-on-one against a guy named Jimmy Milligan, who was a helluva running back. Everybody knew his name. Nobody knew I existed. I know I'm about to get faked out or run over, but in a rare moment that qualifies as an epiphany, I decide to meet him head-on.

They told me...when I woke up...that it was an awesome tackle. I made 2nd team on that one play.

I played 3 years as a starter, based solely on my willingness to hit the ballcarrier head-on, at full speed. Smart? No. Football? Yes.

If this new rule is not applied wisely, it will forever and irrevocably change college football. For the worse.

Go Vols.

First of all no one wants to relive your past bs high school football sports memories. Second, if you think that is good technique then you had piss poor coaches.

Kind of rude, bro. Don't you think?

No bc if that is the coaching he got then he got bad coaching. He thinks this is the way tackling is taught and it is not taught that way. Oh and on top of that of that playing high school football means nothing, I played and started.

Sorry, that wasnt very liberal of me was it?

Was it an extreme comparison? Yes.

Is it the same concept? Absolutely,

So tell me what was so 'idiotic' about it specifically?

When you used the term blood sport. By the way I own guns. You are just confused.

im just going to go ahead and say i think this will get called a ton for like a month until it costs some big team (hopefully alabama) a game because theyre missing great players in the secondary and then it wont get called again...at least that is what i hope is that they realize the stupidity but this obviously wont happen until it is too late

Janzen Jackson would have been ejected for the hit on the tarheel receiver on that last drive in the Music City Bowl, which I thought was an outstanding play by JJ

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg8XWmRIHIc[/youtube]

@ 15:08

That was pretty harsh.

When you used the term blood sport. By the way I own guns. You are just confused.

Football is a violent game and thats what makes it fun.

Im a very competitive person and I can say there is no fun in hindering one side from being competitive against the other.

Its one thing if he goes straight for the guys head but the whole lunging thing is ridiculous

If a guy that is catching a ball in the end zone and someone lunges at him to.break it up (which did happen and resulted in an ejection), as long as the wr didn't get hit in the head then its a good defensive play in my book

Should Andrew Luck (A QUARTERBACK!) have been ejected after this hit he laid on USC's Wright?

Stanford vs. USC-Andrew Luck Lays out Shareece Wright (Impressive tackle by QB) - YouTube

IMO it shouldve been but because he plays on offense theyd never call it even though he lead with his head.....you know that thing that defensive players cant graze on a QB without being penalized

With that said, the whole rule should be revised to only intentiol shots to the head, no penalty for launching unless there is actual contact with the helmet and the 15 yard penalty and ejection should both be able to be overturned....a team shouldnt get a 15 yd penalty if a ref makes a bad judgement call and its reversed

Last edited:
I just hate to see another judgement call in the hands of the officials. This one will be mishandled much like the celebration penalties taking points off the board.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Go Vols.

I would have liked seeing you take VolFanHill's head off...

I'm all for making the game safer but it still is a contact sport. I think youre gonna start seeing alot more knee injuries, especially to recievers. Since defensive players cant hit high anymore they are going to hit low. How many Tyrone Prothro type injuries will it take before they ban hitting low also? The Clowney hit was a good clean football play. He did his JOB and met the ball carrier in the backfield. What made it look worse is where his helmet came off.

VN Store

Back